M*CARBO Brotherhood

Lcp2 take down pin

Good morning brothers,
I purchased the lcp2 upgrades recently. I love everything as usual with my mcarbo parts. However, my new “upgraded” take down pin is garbage!!! Unless i did something wrong which im pretty sure i didn’t. I watched Chris’s videos very closely numerous times during the process. But upon going to the range and firing the gun, the pin keeps walking out. The recoil makes the pin ( with the dot indentation to the bottom) rotate upward until the dot is at the top and starts to push out. I literally have to keep my finger over the pin while shooting which screws within my accuracy. Im very disappointed :pensive:… please somebody tell me if i have a faulty part or If this happens to anyone else? I do have the retainer spring that comes with the pin that’s supposed to prevent this from happening…i really would like to get this figured out And keep the part but for obvious reason’s will be putting the stock pin back in.

3 Likes

It’s just a bad design. I had the Tandemcross version of that exact same design before MCARBO even had that part. The issue is the pin rotates during the recoil cycle. Once the pin rotates to where the spring is out of the groove, there’s nothing holding it in so it walks out. The stock design has a machined shoulder all the way around so it doesn’t matter if the pin rotates. It’s always being held in just the same. Did you have a problem with the stock pin walking out? I didn’t, but I tried the Tandemcross pin anyway and ended up sending it back for a refund. I’m sure Chris will do the same if you want to send it back. I put the stock pin back in and have had zero issues.

2 Likes

Nope no issues at all w/ stock pin! Chris was very convincing about the stock being a bad part and “would” break eventually…but I’m not understanding why nobody is addressing this issue or are you and i the only people who have experienced this issue?

1 Like

This all comes from the early days of the Kel-Tec P3AT, which did have pin walking issues because they machined the shoulder on the pin at an angle to make removal easier. Well, we don’t want it to be easier and that’s why it would slip over the spring and start coming out. It’s been fixed for a long time, now, with a sharper 90 degree shoulder and Ruger even took it a step farther by machining a 360 degree groove into the pin just before the shoulder to hold the spring.

1 Like

Shaun, I just replaced my stock LCP2 pin with the MCARBO parts. I have not had a chance to try it out at the range, but plan on going soon. I will let you know how it turns out.

3 Likes

Just be careful at the range. If/when the pin starts walking and you don’t notice it, bad things happen when it disengages from the hole on the far/right side of the slide. The pin will “waller” around and egg out the hole with the retention spring pretty danged fast because the pin is steel and the frame is much softer aluminum. It will ruin the frame pretty quickly.

3 Likes

Wedge Thanks for the info. I will definitely keep an eye out for the pin.

2 Likes

So I finally tried out my LCP2 with the new MCARBO pin. I shot about 50 rounds in quick order keeping an eye out on the pin. I am glad to say that the pin did not walk out and did not rotate the pin to the point of coming out. I know 50 round is not a large round count, but this is not a fun gun to shoot for long.

1 Like