M*CARBO Brotherhood

Kel-Tex sub 2k upgrade suggestion

New member here, super excited to join the mcarbo brotherhood. I just recently ordered a sub 2k and some upgrades from mcarbo, and while watching YouTube videos I stumbled upon one that showed a sub 2k gen 1 owner that talked about a few of the issues he experienced with plastic internals. Most of the issues he talked about can be fixed with mcarbo upgrades, however what do you guys think the internal of his grip breaking, cracking and melting?

Maybe Mcarbo can make a re-enforced or an alloy grip instead of plastic.

Hers the link to the video : https://youtu.be/nyu2nKVsdko

*note: I don’t know if this is the process of suggesting upgrade ideas, whether it is, or not, please let me know. Thanks!

4 Likes

@Jackthao425 Welcome aboard. I have the gen1 in .40 Cal Glock flavor. I cut my grips down to accept the smaller mags and I have never noticed any heating of any kind. That’s really strange.

5 Likes

Yeah it is strange, especially that much damage with just 1500 rounds. Kel-etc does sell replacement grips, but if this isn’t an outlier issue, a grip upgrade from mcarbo would be nice.

4 Likes

Have you ever seen one of the old sub 9’s I have my eyes peeled looking for one of those. Go check that out if you haven’t seen it

3 Likes

I’ve seen them only on youtube.

4 Likes

@Jackthao425 They are hard to find but it’s the first version of the sub2000 I believe it’s all aluminum material for the receiver and grip halves.

3 Likes

acfc3ae

6 Likes

That does look a lot better. But yeah the gen1 9 is out of stock everywhere. If I do come across one online, I’ll share the link with you.

4 Likes

@Jackthao425 Welcome to the Brotherhood. Don’t forget to go to the First Post Here: Introduce Yourself! thread and say Hi to everybody.

3 Likes

I’ve put at least 2000 rounds through my gen2 and haven’t seen the problems that guy had, though the hammer bushing and feed ramp showed noticeable wear when I did the MCarbo internals at 500 rounds. Keltec could have made it vastly better without drastically increasing its cost OR its sale price. I’ve already put in all the MCarbo improvements I can afford, but if @ChrisNelson and crew offers metal grips, that would be well worth more bucks and the gun will last a LOT longer. :+1:

3 Likes

I just jumped the shark and I ordered the Mcarbo All in one performance trigger job bundle. I figure change all the internals once.

4 Likes

The firewall at work won’t allow me to access Yourtube so I can’t watch the video but I find the cheap flimsy grip that Kel-Tec put on the S2K is a safety feature. Both times that my Gen 1 had out of battery detonations, all that happened (as far as the grip is concerned), was the grip swelled and absorbed the force of the explosion. Sure it knocked everything out of place, but the grip halves stayed intact and didn’t shred my hand with plastic shrapnel.

@Popeye Use a VPN app. Then you can access it.:+1:

IT has our network so locked down you can’t install anything.

1 Like

Many places offer wifi - a private one connected to the internal network and locked down, and a public one that’s open and can get to places the private one can’t. I use my own laptop that’s not joined to the domain and can get to youtube and almost all other restricted sites. You might try that.

2 Likes

Or, I can just watch it at home…

Drill some ventilation holes in the grip

M-Carbo!!! Can you guys please make a all steel 410 L&R Grip for the Kel-Tec sub 2000?!

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum, Lindell. People have been asking for metal grip halves for forever. It would be nice but I don’t see it ever happening. M*Carbo can redesign and improve some elements of other manufacturers’ firearms but those grip halves are almost certainly proprietary and Kel-tec would sue the pants off them.

2 Likes

A direct copy yes, unless you changed the design to fit the internal parts and retain function, maybe change one internal part and pins. But if you’re going that far, why not design a foldable AR, more open of a design.
I’d get a patent attorney before doing any copies or re-pro’s for sure of a current weapon.