M*CARBO Brotherhood

Kel-Tec RDB Improvements

sorry, haven’t checked back till just now. apparently its already been answered here… but yeah, lucky irishman was it. The guy has a facebook page too for the gun stuff. I chatted with him on FB and like I mentioned above, he said to check back around st patty’s day. Assuming he DOES make more of these, I’m planning on getting one. Seems like there’s a serious need for it with the bit about the stock guard pushing on the barrel. PSSST—“Hey MCARBO, hurry up and make some thing similar sooner and I’ll totally buy it from you instead!” hehe…

6 Likes

I had one and while it did lighten up the front the heat would drop right down the screw that held it to the barrel block.

Really didnt find much more if and advantage other than m-lok attachments.

Its made from 6061 and I would rather have 7075

Eventually went back to original.

Waiting on mcarbo.

2 Likes

FYI TO ANYONE THAT WAS INTERESTED - - - - These lucky irishman handguards are back in stock right now. as I’m typing this, his website reports that there are 20 still in stock.

3 Likes

Too bad my wallet doesn’t have 10-$100.00 bills in stock right now… :grin:

2 Likes

So I finally got all the parts together the rdb the lucky Irishman Rail and bolt release the keltec magazine funnel and a cheap Amazon $3 grip plug I have not removed the top rail like some have suggested to then reinstall the screws with red Loctite… considering doing that and then finally mounting a red dot or scope and taking it out

3 Likes

@ammuzz

Aaron, I would change that Red Locktite to Blue/Purple Loctite… If you ever have to change that top rail mounting sytem it will be almost impossible to do so. You might even be drilling out an ez outing those screws! Good luck and safe shooting!

4 Likes

So, I got the RDB last fall and loved it but noticed a couple items that could use improvement. The charging handle is weak and would be better with something a bit more sturdy but the main thing was the magazine release. I like the design and location. Popping out a mag with either right or left hand is nice but it is too weak. I had trouble with both cheaper polymer mags and classic steel. They just didn’t seem to hold well. Also, when I shot in the winter, thicker gloves tended to bump the release and drop the mags. Occasionally a mag would pop out after I fired, from the pressure exerted downward, as a new round was being stripped off the top and the mag comically dropped to my feet. Lesson: don’t shoot angry, it’s not worth it, and pray this doesn’t happen during a zombie attack. It was off to the greatest fix-it device 2nd only to duct tape…google. I saw a model on you tube that had replaced the release with a side button but as I mentioned, I like the original design. I wondered about those 3 holes in the release and this is what I came up with. Using a spring from a delta peerless faucet, a 3/16 short blind pop rivet, and a washer, I put together a small piece that added a bit more tension to the release. End result: it holds all mags, and thick gloves or inadvertent bumping no longer drops the magazine. I’m a little amazed at how well it works because i’m not what you would call handy with a hammer but in this case the light bulb went on. I’m hoping the Mcarbo guys can come up with a drop in/snap in version of this to enhance a great rifle and help some other shooters out that might be having the same trouble. Thanks for your time guys and the great input across the forum!

8 Likes

@Drifter very cool mod👍

3 Likes

I continue to be amazed at the range of skill-sets that the members display here and share with all of us.

5 Likes

Got an RDB a few weeks back and added a few things before I heard of MCARBO but added their trigger spring when I did. I would really like a bit more LOP and have heard that comment from other taller shooters as well. I would think that would be a relatively easy thing to do. Anyone else feel the same way? Now I want a Sub2K with all the MCARBO bells and whistles.

5 Likes

Great idea and functional mod

4 Likes