Kel-Tec heavy bolt upgrade?

Anybody install this? Looking for opinions from those who have installed this upgrade.

I don’t think recoil is all that bad with the standard Sub 2000, but I’m curious if this heavier bolt works noticeably better in recoil as Kel-Tec claims.

3 Likes

The heavy bolt removes some snappiness but I did not notice a big difference in felt recoil. I do not have one but suspect the muzzle brake would make more difference.

2 Likes

Not really
Littleflag

2 Likes

I have one in .40 S&W, so installed the rubber tube cover and a butt pad to cushion my shoulder after more than a few rounds. The ‘recoilless’ charging handle and internal buffer pad are good adds as well.
Those made enough difference for comfort for me. I enjoy the authoritative thump, lets me know I’m launching some power! Ruger .44 mag carbine, M-1 Garand, Savage 99 in .308, 12 Ga.–I like to run with the big dogs! (you just have to roll your own to make it ‘affordable’!)

4 Likes

It works well in my .40 and slows everything down enough that my Sub runs much cleaner
It was a good investment.
The brake, bolt and buffer combined compliment one another on my Gen2

3 Likes

That’s what I was hoping to hear.

4 Likes

I have the brass bolt,Mcarbo Stuff, buffer pad,
heavy handle ON and ON and ON.

Take the time to read polishing S2K thread for additional stuff.
I found that polishing the bevel where the recoil spring goes into the recoil bolt helped. Along with that the interface between the bold and hammer can be SMOOTHED.
Ad Infinitum.

3 Likes

Hey Dung, what caliber is your S2K chambered?

1 Like

9mm.

I also have a basket case gen 1 that’s a .40. I’m doing a rebuild on the 9mm

2 Likes

I have a .40 s2k and added a heavy bolt along with full mcarbo upgrades…

Haven’t shot it yet as it’s been sitting in my safe for over a month now…

Wouldn’t know what stock feels like :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I know the feeling !!! :crazy_face: :star_struck: :star_struck: :crazy_face:

5 Likes

What tripod are you using?

1 Like

FAB DEFENCE verticle grip/ bipod adjustable.

2 Likes

That is cool. I have a foregrip but it does not open like that. Pretty cool idea.

1 Like

Mine is a GEN 1.
I can use it on my Tavor and the Ruger MPR

3 Likes

I know this is an old thread, have a question about adding the heavy bolt to a Gen1 40. A load I really like is a bit ‘warm’, the Underwood 150gr, claimed @ 1300fps out of a pistol length barrel. I know KelTec doesn’t rate for +P, but .40 doesn’t really have a definition for +P. Would the heavy bolt prevent any bad effects from the load?
Thanks

1 Like

The heavy bolt WILL:

slow down bolt travel. The heavier bolt will move slower.

So, some folks will report reduced perceived recoil.

If this is what you mean by bad effects … then maybe.

.40 is a relatively high pressure cartridge. The list of potentially bad effects is substantial.

We see relatively few reports of problems that can be directly linked to pressure limits or overpressure. Kel Tec recommends we limit high pressure round shooting - the discourage a heavy diet of 9mm +P or +P+.

The Subs can handle pressures spec’d by SAMMI.

Food for thought when selecting a pistol round for defensive use in your sub: Hollowpoints expand effectively over a very specific velocity range. So the HP that is effective at 1300fps may be largely ineffective at 1500fps from your carbine.

Underwood offers Lehighs monolythic solid loadings which mostly deliver faster is betterer type performance. These are well suited to carbines.

4 Likes

I have the heavy bolt, the cherry lifesaver, and a butt pad, chambered 9mm. The felt recoil is essentially zero, but at least to me.

I’m brand new to the sub2k and loving this gun more and more.

4 Likes

How do you differentiate or identify a ‘heavy bolt’
Mine is heavy enough steel ok, added full upgrades otherwise - life saver, 2 finger charging handle, trigger kit etc but didn’t find the heavy bolt listed. Is it std now?

1 Like

I think the ‘heavy bolt’ is only available from Kel-Tec.

EDIT: SUB2000 Heavy Weight Bolt | KelTec

1 Like