M*CARBO Brotherhood

Kayak Anglers Rigs & Tips

@Scooter all that equipment and only one fish :joy:

1 Like

K … so …

Slowly working my way toward Angl’n. Finally got the plastic wet. I need to get the rudder better adjusted, but the short ride was a win.

GF took this pic from the overly busy boat ramp:

I had intended to wear the PFD, but evidently old habits are hard to replace. I spent all of Saturday and this morning reconfiguring a swap meet motorcycle cargo trailer (trailer did Texas to Alaska and back behind a Sheriff’s Harley), so I’ll be showing my handiwork soon. I’m gonna tweak it a bit based on things I learned with about 75 miles loaded pull.

4 Likes

Finally had some time to put into my many things I have going on. Finished my no rot trailer deck made from plastic pallets. Now I’m ready to slip off in the creeks again.

5 Likes

Definitely a huge score getting this old jet ski trailer for the free

5 Likes

@Flogrown I’ve got to ask what do you think the sun is gonna be like reflecting off that aluminum spray paint?

5 Likes

Just an undercoat. Had it laying around going over it with smoke grey. But definitely wouldn’t be too kind on the eyes. Started to post that the RoboCop pain job wasn’t final lol

5 Likes

Finished uo my trailer as well. Pulled great on Sunday for a quick run to see how the yak handles wind and chop. Still need to hook it up to the bike and confirm she pulls before I call that project closed. It’s built onto a highly modified motorcycle cargo trailer and I built a second tier so I can pull yaks for a couple guys I ride with as well.

I definitely had to zoom in to figure out what was going on with that seemingly aluminum yak (leastwise seemingly on my phone - made the crate look like about 120 horsepower too). I thought you’d gone skiff on us.

5 Likes

@Dred Hahaha, nice work on the trailer man. My next project is getting a ladder rack installed onto my deck for a second level as well. It will be the platform for my rooftop tent. It always feels good to make something out of nothing.

4 Likes

Just took a test run down to the creek. It is so nice to not have to go through the process of carrying your yak to the ramp then rigging it up before you can paddle off. With the trailer it’s back up hook up leave everything on your kayak and drop it so nice. Now I am going to start slaying some catfish, bream and blue gills.

3 Likes

@Dred I am the same as you, I have never once left the ramp with a PFD. I feel more comfortable without it. How does the yak do behind the bike? Your yak is definitely heavier than mine not sure about the trailer. Can you even tell it’s there?

4 Likes

Anyone running an electric trolling motor on their kayak?

2 Likes

I’m close … very close. I registered my yak 'cause registration is required to run it motorized. And … I’m literally putting the finishing touches on my PWM* DC Motor controller right now.

And, I’ve accomplished something I thought of as I was loading the yak on my truck to bring it home the first time. My Perception Pescador Pilot is a pedal drive kayak. I have now rigged a trolling motor to drop in where the pedal drive mounts. The factory rudder system will continue to provide steering control.

I built a 12 volt power box which holds three 15 amp hour Lead Acid AGM batteries. This box will power all of my gear (fish finder, lights, phones and bluetooth speaker) and by running three 15aH batteries I can choose to run them individually or in parallel. This will allow me to keep one or two batteries fresh for a return trip that won’t demand that I supply pedal power.

Last thing I hope to finish before the big regret is a leash controlled power cutoff. I need the motor to quit if I take an unplanned dip in the fishing water - watching it motor away with all my gear would suck and I look forward to advantaging some creative engineering.

If you are interested, I’ll post up pics and possibly vids when I get’r did.

*By way of explanation. Cheap (most) trolling motors come with resistor based speed controllers. Resistor based speed control pulls maximum power regardless of what speed setting has been selected. This can really cramp my lazy 'cause I’m not generating charge on the water … yet (eventually going to add solar). PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) only pulls the power required to achieve the speed I set with a potentiometer.

3 Likes

@Dred I would think that there would be a’lot of used control box’s in the junk pile at the back of any Marine dealer in the area’ they all got the same pull type Safety Lanyard/Switch, Just a thought.

4 Likes

@Dred I would love to see pics/vids. I don’t have a kayak myself but I have 2 buddies who do.
One of them played around building a jet unit and powering it with a weed eater. He gave up on that and has built a pedal setup that he’s working on now.
The other buddy is the one interested in doing what you are doing.

How about using a cutoff switch built into the seat like a riding lawn mower. You will have to be in your seat for the motor to operate and if you roll or go overboard for any reason it stops the instant you leave your seat. It would be easy to do. All you need is the seat switch and a relay to interrupt your power cable.

4 Likes

@DivaMarie and @jeffing65 … the interweb has made me lazy. These pieces will land tomorrow:

and

It’s actually sad. Pre internet I scored many bone yard prizes like the close ratio, dog leg BMW transmission I yanked from a junked grey market BMW 320 to put the power down on a BMW 2002 track car/daily driver I built in grad school - completely unobtanium in the USA through BMW and I got it crazy cheap cause the yard had no idea it was special. Good old days!

@jeffing65 … your buddy may like:

4 Likes

Oh, don’t I know it. I have found many a prize as well.
Back in the day, one of the wrecking yards here would just dump disassembled engines in a pile. Engine blocks in a pile, heads in a pile, crankshafts in a pile, intakes in a pile, exhaust manifolds in a pile, and you get the idea. And they had for eons.
In the case of the blocks and heads, it wasn’t so much a pile, as it was a mountain. We would spend the time and hard work to dig to the bottom of these mountains looking for performance stuff. You would find steel crankshafts, performance heads , exhausts, and blocks etc.
In 5 or 6 years the effort was worth it and my shelves were looking mighty fine. LOL
Not to mention every day engine stuff, I had collected enough Ford FE blocks, steel cranks, heads, along with oil pans, flywheels, ignitions etc to build 4 - 390cid High Perf 4V engines, 1- 1966 428cid 4V Thunderbird Engine, and 1- 1964 427cid low-riser with a factory “Sidewinder” aluminum 4V intake. All from that one yard. If I only had that shelf now.

6 Likes

@jeffing65 Deere Used them on their Tractors seats!:frowning_face: Too
Sensitive (Me @ Buck and a Quarter’) damn thing was alway’s dying had to add phone books for added weight’:rofl:

6 Likes

@DivaMarie lol Nothing worse than having to carry extra ballast. I can see how that would get old real quick.
I remember when I was a little kid, it was all I could do with both hands and my feet braced, to pull the starter rod back far enough to start my grandpa’s old International C and Super C tractors.

5 Likes

@jeffin65@gmail.com Yea I finally just back probed the connector and put it a long term open mode! and went along my merry way for the next ball field in need of many patches and back drags, Way too many safety switches, Beaning the Crew Chief I could get by with it.:+1:

6 Likes

K … so …

I promised a pic. Here’s how I rigged this motor:

But, I was walking through Academy … and … I spied an open box motor that’s rated for salt. Since I knew I need to replace brushes on the motor pictured … I grabbed it.

And I get to rewire everything 'cause the new motor is PWM from the factory. I pulled the kill switch and relay and got them mounted to my battery box last night.

7 Likes