Just when I think I'm done

So I threw caution to the wind and am now the proud owner of a Troy A4. SUPER fun gun!! Will of course do some upgrades - prismatic scope (because my vision needs all the help it can get!) and maybe some color coordination. Very consistent out of the box - one adjustment on front post & 2 on the back and I’m real close to zero. Gonna recheck on a day that’s not so breezy to get it a little better, but was able to get a few on a 10" plate at 200 yds. before I ran out of daylight.

6 Likes

Enjoy the crap out of it quick fast in a hurry. I spy an arm brace. We expect new ATF rule against them come December.

Rumor says NFA Amnesty to declare it a SBR may happen. Amnesty ain’t gonna help you in NewJersistan though.

2 Likes

My first experience with a Marlin was a 39A - my dad bought it at the BX in Gitmo in’54. First one I bought is an original 1893 in .30-30 made in 1898. Next got a .444 sometime around 1987; the guy who sold it claimed his wife made him sell it, but there were only four rounds missing from the box (a full mag load). I got a Cowboy in .357 with the octagon barrel right after they came out - '97 maybe. Traded a .41 Magnum against it to a gunsmith who had two Blackhawks in .41M. I’ve got a 1936 in .30–30, and a couple of “modern” .45-70s - a full-length and a carbine (that someone gave me). Seems like I have some more - I know I’ve had two or three .44M but many trades have gone by. Oh yeah; a 45Colt that came from my friend’s estate. I’ve always liked Marlins over Winchesters - but now I just pissed off some good folks here… we all just friends…

2 Likes

Well, on the matter of lever guns, you would seem somewhat qualified… :rofl:

I hunted with both and love both, though the particular Winchester I used has a special place, it was a saddle gun belonging to my grandfather. Long time ago and I don’t have it in my possession, but I know it’s in good hands and still in the family as well (as is his hunting cabin).

Nah, ya like what ya like, it’s all good. Currently I only own Henry lever guns, some folks aren’t big on the brand, it’s okay.

Kind of have an itch for one chambered in this. Preferably with a 16" barrel, hard chromed all weather treatment and maybe some blackwashed furniture. Not that I’ve given it much thought… :smirk:

4 Likes

Cowboy shooters go Marlin vs. Winchester like Ford vs. Chevy. Mostly good-natured. I started with Marlin, and like them because they’re simpler - the lever end goes right into the bottom of the bolt - and they side eject in case you want to put on a scope. I have seen an empty case ball back into a Winchester, but it’s not like it happens every day. I have used Winchesters, especially my friend’s .38-55 - I say you have to be a bit more deliberate when working the lever on a Winchester. Maybe because of the linkage?

The .44s I’ve had always seem to get hung up, no matter what ammo. I have a friend with the 336 model rather than the cowboy 1894 model, and it seems to work better. But it’s just one of those things - another friend has a '94 in .45Colt, and it will feed any shape of bullet. In my .357, I load a 180 grain cast truncated cone which feeds and shoots just fine.

Henrys are pretty much Marlins. The other year, I was an RO at the NRA championships. All stages had guns and ammo from sponsors - there was a cowboy stage with Henrys and Federal ammo. The only problem was with the ammo style - there was a lip right at the edge of the cartridge case. It would get hung up, just like other lever guns. The fix is to back it up very slightly, then close the lever again. A lot of these newbies just tried to force the lever shut, and some of the extractors broke. They were being pressed against the rear of the case. But in normal use, they had no problem. All American made from American material, and I’ve heard my friends say that the customer service is outstanding.

5 Likes

I run mine, but they’re also well cared for, no issues to speak of on functionality. I doubt I’d be at the level of use/abuse of competition shooting but it’s nice to know they held up fairly well. I’ve had issues with some brands of ammo being a bit “catchy”, like you said, essentially slight back pressure on the lever before going again does the trick.

I can personally vouch for this, and on more than one occasion they’ve sent me parts for free when I inquired about purchasing them. I would have never considered or suggested such a thing but they just did it. Who does that anymore? If there’s a problem, they genuinely want to fix it and it would seem that every one of their CS reps is well versed on their products.

6 Likes

Ruger has done it several times for me.

8 Likes

Good to know, though I can’t say the same. I have no issues with Ruger and have owned/do own a number of their firearms (and like them quite a bit), but I couldn’t even get them to sell me a handguard for a Ruger firearm that I owned. Still don’t get that one.

And speaking of Ruger:

4 Likes

Brother Rick has been smok’n the good stuff 'gain. Reads like he’s quoting some dude squatting in a white house.

Seriously … side gate loading (new to Henry) is nice but features don’t make a Marlin.

It sounds like I’m dogging Henry. I am not. But they are a very different beast - slicker from the factory even. But Henry is built for a Marketing team. Marlin failed trying to deliver old world quality at mass production pricing

4 Likes

As a Cowboy Action Shooter I would not have a Henry except as something pretty to hang on the wall. I started with a Marlin 1894 in .357 and ran it hard over the past decade. Well over 15,000 rounds if not 20,000+. I forgot to clean it for a couple months at a time still ran. Got wet, ran. Dust storm, yup ran.
Guy showed up at the range a month or so ago with a brand new Henry. Made it through 4 of the 6 stages and had a catastrophic failure.
I currently run a Uberti 1873 in .45lc. but I still keep that Marlin handy as a backup.

5 Likes

Ah, I see how that reads now. I meant internal workings, Henry is a lot more like a Marlin vs something else, like a Winchester. I didn’t mean the two companies, for instance. I am trying to remember the last time I bought a Marlin, or who was making them then. I know a friend of mine gave me his .45-70 carbine back in 2016, and I know the guy he bought it from, and when, but I don’t know when it was made or where. Been thinking about driving to Vegas and having Wild West Guns turn it into one of their take-downs.

I’m curious to see what people have to say about the new Ruger Marlins. I think I’ve said it in here before - the last three Ruger products I bought all had problems, and that was before 2020.

2 Likes

They’re expensive. I have no actual experience though lol, I have yet to see a Ruger made Marlin in the wild.

2 Likes

Surely you didn’t get into firearms to save money. None if this s#!t is really cheap. :grin:

4 Likes