M*CARBO Brotherhood

Just Ordered the New Locking Pin

Keep making new parts, I’ll buy them all, I guess.
The install looks easy but potentially painful.

Much better design. A very useful upgrade.

7 Likes

Totally agree Charles!
Mine comes in tomorrow, and ill be using a block of wood since i dont have a bench block.

2 Likes

You can always make your own, here’s mine…

…yeah, it’s an old hockey puck…but it’s cheap, non-marring and so far it works a treat!

7 Likes

My Canadian heritage strictly forbids the willful destruction of a hockey puck, but i love the idea otherwise. :sunglasses:

6 Likes

I have an early version of the Recoiless Charging Handle with no hole in it and no Locking Pin, just the pressure of the recoil spring against it…am I suppose to be worried that charging handle can fall out?

3 Likes

You can still use it for hockey. :grinning: This one is very old and no longer smells of rubber, it was “made in Czechoslovakia”. I needed one while doing some gunsmithing at 2am as ya do (on my CZ 97 B, no less), the puck and my cordless drill were handy…

3 Likes

That one side will have an increased drag coefficient. Unless im facing Patrick Roy, i wouldnt stand a chance. :laughing:

4 Likes

The hole goes through…guess it’s no longer regulation weight… :grinning:

Showing our age a bit there, no one’s faced him since 17 years ago… :rofl:

4 Likes

I watched the installation video. First of all, I’m buying a new recoil spring from Kel-Tec; just in case I really mess up the installation.

But it brings up a question: Wouldn’t it be easier if M*Carbo just sold the whole recoil spring complete with the modification? That would make installation super simple.

Maybe someone can put this in M*Carbo’s “suggestion box”.

Forget about the cost for now. I’m mostly interested in the mechanical challenges to making the whole recoil spring with the modified locking pin.

Here’s another question: Could M*Carbo perhaps include additional “tools” for installation. For example, a device that is sized just right for compressing the recoil spring. Just squeeze and pull. And of course, adding a perfect 3/8" block with a hole in it can’t hurt. Needless to say, the more stuff you pack in the kit, the larger the package and associated mailing becomes.

All said, the installation video is great except it begs these two questions: Why not make a modified recoil spring in the first place? If not, why not develop some tools to make the DIY job a little easier?

Thanks in advance,

aRBy_MI

4 Likes

They’ll install it for you if you wish.

No need to worry about it falling out, just that the neck where the recoil spring seats is a potential spot for failure. If it fails, they’ll send you a new one with a thicker neck and toolless locking pin.

2 Likes

My locking pin is in transit. I couldn’t find anywhere on the site about them putting these together. Any suggestions?

@TexasEskimo

https://www.mcarbo.com/custom-shop.aspx

2 Likes

@AV8R Thank you Nigel. It appears that everything is a minimum of $95/hour. I best get my tools together. Lol.

2 Likes

Yeah, not much is free these days.
Just looking at the video, it doesn’t appear too difficult to install

2 Likes

I just don’t want to damage my spring. So I may proactively procure a backup first.
You know the saying… “Two is one, and one is none”.

2 Likes

Got mine in today. Install was Relatively easy. I still have both my eyes lol.

7 Likes

Mine arrived today and was installed with minimal fuss. It helps to have an extra pair of hands.

Here is one tip that was not explicit in the Video. Do not compress the recoil spring from the top. The lower coils will become too tight making it difficult to insert the provided hex wrench. Instead, grab the spring at a point you can compress below where the wrench needs to be inserted; i.e. the top of the lower guide rod piece. The coils below your grip will be tight, but those above will be loose enough to easily insert the wrench.

Replacing the recoil spring and engaging the notch is still a little fidgety but much improved over the previous option.

7 Likes

tool-less spring tool—use a 2nd allen wrench just below mid-point and use that to compress the spring sliding it 1/2 way through the spring. Easy 2min install.

7 Likes

It whistles when you crank up a one-timer! :laughing:

2 Likes