M*CARBO Brotherhood

Just got a Vaultek RS200i for Gun Storage

We were looking for a storage solution for my guns and didn’t really want a big heavy safe so I did some searching online and in the end narrowed it down to two choices. It was between a Vaultek (either the RS200i or the RS500i - basically two sizes of the same safe) and the SecureIt Agile Ultralight.

We wanted to be able to store the guns in the upstairs of the house, but have the flexibility to move the placement easily if we ever wanted to. So we were looking for a lighter / less secure solution than a traditional safe.

Neither of the options are anywhere near cheap for what they are, but one thing I did really like about both of them is that they allow for a great deal of customization for configuring the storage inside.

I personally prefer the modularity and aesthetics of the Vaultek, but it does come with a premium price tag. The RS500i is the larger version and is supposed to be able to accommodate five long guns and numerous pistols / accessories with the RS200i able to store two long guns.

The RS200i has a small footprint and as I have it configured it would be challenging to fit two long guns. That being said, my Ruger PCC has a scope, light, bipod, compensator and sling attached to it that add considerably to it’s bulk.

When purchasing the unit, I took time looking at all the accessories and had planned out ahead of time the basic layout I wanted to try and achieve. It did take some time moving everything around to come up with the current “end” result.

As it is, it would be challenging to add another firearm of any variety to it without seriously changing the layout and requiring additional storage accessories.

It was fairly easy to set up and it is more than secure enough for my needs / wants. I am very happy with the flexibility in both placement ( weight and overall footprint) and configurability ( through the purchase of additional accessories not included in the stock package ).

You are certainly paying a premium price for it, and to be honest that’s why in the end I stuck with the smaller / cheaper model. There certainly would have been room for me to expand into and have a wider variety of configuration options with the larger RS500i, but at most I will be adding one additional firearm and I already know how I would be able to accommodate that in regards to storage.

I do also like the technical aspects of it and it is something my wife is comfortable with being inside our home and using. And yes, wife acceptance is a big factor.

Overall I am very happy with my choice although the price is certainly steep.

8 Likes

I can’t say much for your new gun storage choice (thought it does look the business, mine’s just a basic metal locker), but you do have good taste in firearms IMHO. :wink:

4 Likes

@SteveE
Nice gun locker. How are the hangers secured to the door panel?

2 Likes

They have pegs with with a groove, so you insert the peg into the hole and then slide it over to lock it. The pegs are also on a strong magnetic plate to give additional grip.

3 Likes

@SteveE Hey Steve. Nice set up.

To be sure you will never be locked out of your safe… message me your address, combination number, and when you go to work.

I am always looking to help out. What a guy, right?

6 Likes

And here I was hoping for a pipboy… darn lol.

Sweet setup, always buy 2-4 times the size you’ll need, your collection will grow.

3 Likes

Not if my wife has anything to say about it…

6 Likes

Folks
Interestingly enough, as mentioned herein, and CatFood is right, I realized right away I don’t have enough real estate, or shelves. And the kicker. I had a really good metal locker that I “due to the laws” had to move aside and buy a new locker. First thing I also realized is that there are very distinct differences.

1. If you can lift it by yourself with a bear hug it has to be bolted to studs in the wall. So pick the location carefully unless you can live with holes in your walls. And the safe itself is just a metal tin can., not fire retardant or proof and not splashdown or waterproof.
  2. Spend the money and buy a safe that is free standing and weights like a “safe”. Try and run out the door with it, not likely.

That IMHO is a safe. I cannot believe they even sell the tin cans.
Cheers,

1 Like

Different people have different needs / wants / requirements and that is why there will always be different options available.

Personally I don’t really care about someone trying to carry it out of the second story of my home nor the fact it isn’t fireproof. Indeed if my house is on fire I have a lot more things that concern me other than my guns which as of now are replaceable in one form or another via my insurance.

3 Likes

Hi SteveE
Sure agreed.
I just can’t get over some of the junk in the market today.
Not like the old days when quality counted.

Even ‘safes’ aren’t safe against anyone with a carbide saw and a little time and privacy - or if they’ve watch YouTube videos. If they want inside it bad enough, they WILL get inside. The idea is to slow them down long enough to be detected and possibly caught, plus the legal requirements of your area and showing due diligence when you try to collect the insurance.

4 Likes

I can certainly appreciate the OP’s situation and subsequent resolution. Considering the available space/location/budget can all be HUGE factors in these kinds of purchases.
As limited as SteveE’s locker may be, it will still provide some measure of safety, security and deterrence.
As has been pointed out in other threads, safes, no matter the size or cost, are NOT the end all gun storage answer. A combination of good location, proper installation and surveillance can help make any locker/safe better. Making theft more difficult is the underlying theme.
Kudos…SteveE for providing a “safe” place to keep your firearms, brother.

4 Likes

Really great points, facts and opinions.
A safe lockup is first and foremost.
It was definitely a high priority when my son was growing up.
A good piece of mind for me, especially when I was on the road.
Cheers,

I think @SteveE’s choice is a good one if you’ve got the funds, but I think it’s important to understand the purpose of what he purchased. I see this as a secure and relatively attractive (as far as gun security is concerned) quick access safe, for when you’re home and need to grab some gear for defense in a hurry. Bump in the night type situations. It would probably serve best located in the area where you sleep or a nearby room. You might not have access to the gun safe in the basement or garage in this situation. While it may currently contain his entire gun collection, I don’t think that was the intent of this locker and if he sticks around here long enough, he will need more storage! Folks here are really good at getting you to buy more guns…

For general, permanent, higher quantity gun storage, a larger, heavier, fireproof, full on safe would make sense…assuming you’ve got a place to put it. But let’s be honest, really good gun safes are not cheap and many aren’t quite as good as their marketing bumf would lead you to believe. I’ve been renting for the past 10 years, I live alone, work from home and I’m often about the place, so for me a large heavy gun safe was out of the question. I just wanted a cost effective, relatively easy to move locker to stash them in at one mildly secure location. Enough to keep kids and animals out, rather inconspicuous to move in and out of the place, able to be hidden in a closet and wouldn’t exceed the load bearing capacity of my apartment/condo’s floor framing.

4 Likes

Now that this conversation has come up, I will throw in my thought. Gun “safe” I think is used as a general term that can be incorrect.

A “weapons locker” is for the purpose of securing weapons from unauthorized access, able to access for defense/deployment, provide moderate fire/environmental protection, etc. It’s not a vault.

I stored a neighbors large safe while he was building a new shop, and lucky I have a forklift, because it’s weight was considerable. You would have never set this on the floor of any average house. The ability to move any large/heavy objects is always a consideration. Especially if you don’t own your home, or know your going to live in the same place long term.

I agree. It does what it is intended to do.

4 Likes

I don’t have any of them, just firearms…

5 Likes

Do you have recommendations, chilipepper? My requirements are pretty close to what you describe: While I have a basement, I’d rather have my (relative handful of long and short) weapons close by. I will probably store most of my ammo in the basement, and hope I can warn volunteer firemen if the house happens to catch on fire.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Well, I can tell you how I’ve got mine secured (a relative term) if it helps.

I live alone, work from home and have no children to worry about so my situation is a little different. That said, I feel my solution is sufficient to prevent unwanted access to the guns under normal circumstances.

My collection of firearms is about a 50/50 split handguns to long guns and I’m in the ball park of 20 total pieces at the moment. I keep one handgun chambered in .45 auto unsecured and at least one mag charged with defensive rounds within relatively quick and easy access from wherever I’m located at any particular time, just in case. Typically it’s near the bed at night and in the home office during the day. Everything else is locked up in a pretty basic heavy steel gun locker that’s tucked away in the closet of a 2nd floor spare bedroom, lagged into the wall framing and obscured by hanging clothes.

Initially I had planned on using gym lockers but one of the brothers turned me onto to this Stack-On unit and the cost was pretty close to what I was looking at spending on the gym lockers. The bonus is it came with extra optional shelf space and plastic barrel rests with scope standoffs for three sides of the cab. They say it will hold 18 guns, I do think that’s a bit optimistic.

Stack-On GCM-1918-DX
gun_cab

I got it on sale from a local Tractor Supply store for something like $120. I’ve got it configured much like what is shown in the photo. I’ve got two long guns in front of the shelves with the remainder packed in the other side. Handguns are on a rubber coated rack that sits on the top full width shelf. There are holes in the bottom front corners large enough to run an extension cord in to power an LED light strip if you want illumination. I just happen to have a 1’ long strip of LED lights and an extension cord with a footswitch which worked perfectly to get a little light inside.

7 Likes

I think I’m in love . . . with the locker, not you, chilipepper. Sorry. I have about half what you do, split 2/3 long guns and 1/3 handguns. One handgun is headed towards the pick-up truck, while another with two spare mags is the first “go-to” for home and carry. The spares are stored. Shotguns are in reach bc I can go out on my back deck and crank off a few rounds when stress build. Your unit has room for some ammo, cleaning kits, loaders, magazines (“The wife will never think to look in here for my Car&Driver, Road&Track, Guns&Ammo, etc, subscriptions.”), and so on I wonder if Tractor Supply gives a veterans discount . . . Thanks very much!

3 Likes

No offense taken. I’m not that pretty anyway and I know it. :grinning:

Don’t hang out here for too long then. This crew is really good at subtly persuading you to spend your own money on more guns. Ask me how I know…

When I registered here about two years ago, all I owned was two pistol caliber carbines and had never given an AR-15 much consideration… :smirk:

It does, and until I started buying more guns and bulk ammo I could fit it all in inside stored in 50 cal cans. I suspect it would still fit now if I ditched the ammo cans and just stacked the individual boxes.

While I can’t publicly condone that type of subterfuge, I will say I’m of the firm belief that what happens or resides inside your locked gun cabinet is your business and your business alone. For the record. :grinning:

I think they do and probably should if they don’t.

For what it is, the cabinet is pretty solid. Fairly heavy gauge sheet metal and I’m pretty sure it would keep you legal regarding gun storage laws in any state that has them. It gave me a little piece of mind having everything at a single location and under lock and key. Plus it helps keep things organized.

I did modify it a bit when I realized installing the supplied standoffs in the factory holes meant that most of my guns wouldn’t actually reach them. I just measured all my guns and drilled a new set of holes a number of inches lower on all three sides to solve the problem. It would seem the factory configuration is suited more for guns with 24"+ barrels and I came up a couple inches short (that’s what she said! :laughing:). I also added some of that plastic/rubber car door or sheet metal edge guard to the inside lips of the door jamb at the top and bottom so as to keep from banging up my babies when removing them from the cab. I’ve seen some videos online where guys have purchased rolls of inexpensive automotive carpet and glued it to the walls and shelves, making the thing look a lot more like a high end gun safe inside. Looks nice and probably adds protection for banging things up but I couldn’t be bothered.

4 Likes