M*CARBO Brotherhood

I've got a new firearm problem/addiction

Well, as of now I’m “in it to win it” as they say, so guess I’ll have to belly up to whatever they charge me. The itch must be scratched. :grinning:

4 Likes

A little thread necromancy.
The obligatory your laws there suck.
That said, try a CZ if you can. The p10c is a good polymer striker fired that fits most glock holsters. If you want hammer fired the p01 is a great compact. It’s smaller to make it easy to carry but still big enough to do pretty much everything a full size will.

4 Likes

And now, we wait…

Completed my required HQL training yesterday and then some. Actually had a good time and ended up with about 7 hours total as opposed to the required 4 hours. I learned quite a bit and got the “bonus plan” for free as my range time was spent with another one of his students qualifying for his CCW permit. My instructor didn’t do just the minimum required and as my shooting was good enough he had me work on some more advanced skills. Had my fingerprints scanned about an hour ago for $58 and just finished my electronic application on the state police website. $193 total fee cost to get to this point. Time to twiddle thumbs and hope the license turnaround is quick.

10 Likes

No activity for two weeks on the MDSP web site checklist, no emails, nothing, though I did receive a paper letter in the mail stating one of the checks had started. Anyway, hadn’t checked since last Friday but apparently it’s official, my HQL is active as of Sunday. :grinning:

Now to wait for the card…

9 Likes

Are we there yet??? Waiting…minutes seem like hours seem like days seem like weeks…

3 Likes

I might have sounded a bit bitchy there, not really intended. Kudos to the MDSP, I was quite surprised and impressed as they were right on 14 days. I did find the web portal that never updated until after approval a bit odd. I was actually visiting it regularly thinking it would show the approval status for each check as things progressed…like a monkey and a set of car keys… :monkey:

It’s given me plenty of time to think about possible handgun purchases. Not necessarily in order but I think a Glock of some sort is still in consideration due to my aforementioned mag collection. I also caught an in-store special on factory refurb Sig P320s at a local, might be worth a look once I’m card-in-hand. Still have a bit of a chubber for something 1911, @hrfunk’s recent post didn’t help that at all. Neither did the recent recommendation of a Remington R1 by a trusted source. And then @TheThreeLaws suggestion of a Mark IV Ruger hit home as it happens my initial HQL live fire training was with a Mk III target or competition model. Nice little shooter, good weight and very well balanced, great for working on technique as well as plinking fun. I understand the Mk IV brings some nice improvements/updates. Super cheap to shoot as well.

5 Likes

Chillipepper, not fully up on the latest and greats of the freedom restrictions imposed by states but does Maryland have a magazine round limit like n.j. and n.y. has? If so I would recommend a Glock that meets that limit but also takes larger capacity mags when you travel into one of the free states. My EDC is a Glock 27 with a short mag in it and one from my Glock 22 for back up but when I travel to see family in Illinois I carry a Ruger LC9s with 2 spare mags of 9 rds each. That way I don’t have more then 10 rds in the gun.
Tom

6 Likes

I cant imagine living in occupied territory. My GHB has 5, 33 round mags, and 6 17 round mags. All loaded along with my S2K and Glock 17. I’d probably be labeled an extremist or terrorist in the occupied states. Here in Texas, I’m probably considered under armed.

7 Likes

10 round limit, but only for transfer or manufacture, I can own and use any capacity but must source them by trips out of state. At the moment…

Your citizenship has been kicked back to “Just Visiting” status due to your personal defense load-out dropping below clearly published government guidelines… :grinning:

7 Likes

Thankful I live where I do. Those infringements are insane. Government charging you for a license to protect yourself??? Balderdash!!!

9 Likes

Yea, I literally don’t know how many firearms I own, I am way overdue for doing a 100% inventory of my safes… Somewhere north of 40 rifles, a handful of shotguns, and probably 15 pistols and I consider myself to be maybe just slightly on the high side of average for out Great State.

6 Likes

That’s just the GHB. Just drove down to Corpus Christi today. Full load out today is 5 firearms for my wife and myself. The GHB is just extra if we end up on foot for some reason.

6 Likes

Fried Okra, Biscuits & gravy, Shrimp & Grits, Yummm !

5 Likes

The only thing I can say is " Maryland the land of extreme taxes & severe Gun Control ! My truck refuses to cross the southern Virginia line.

8 Likes

Oh ya had to go there…now I have to make a batch of biscuits for tomorrows breakfast!

5 Likes

cathead biscuits, and red eye gravy. as well as some crisp fried fatback…

8 Likes

@GOBLIN Don’t you start too! :rofl:

7 Likes

Here in Wis we’re not sure what any of that stuff is. But, if it goes with beer I’m willing to try it.

7 Likes

fatback =streaky bacon salted and cut thick, fried crisp.
red eye gravy= cold coffee and a lil bacon grease in the frying pan, pour it in a bowl
cathead biscuits = big fluffy sourdough biscuits dip em in redeye gravy
hoe cake or pan bread clean yard hoe, put some batter from sourdough mix on the back, hold the hoe over a fire till golden brown…
damnit now im getting hungry…

6 Likes

Along these lines, anyone ever hear of old steam engine firemen (stokers) making egg sandwiches on the backside of their stoking shovels?

6 Likes