M*CARBO Brotherhood

Is there an IT guy in the house?

Problem: Our printer keeps changing it’s IP address and goes off line.

Background. This started happening last fall. Contacted our ISP and was told we needed a new extender, so we bought one of theirs. Everything was back to normal, for awhile. Problem reappeared but this time we couldn’t get the printer to work at all, so we replaced it and everything was once again as it should be. Until it wasn’t…

Solutions tried : 1. See contacted ISP above. Temporary fix.
2. Unplug, wait 10 seconds and plug back in. Works, PITA.
3. Re-pair printer to router. Works, see PITA above.
4. Contact printer manufacturer, “Not our problem” as printer will produce test doc.
5.* Contact ISP, “We’d like to help, but as you’re not signed up to our extortion plan…”
6.* Contact printer manufacturer, “Oh, you have an extender, printer won’t work with…”
7:* Go into settings for router/modem, so far haven’t screwed it up, but no help
8. Turn printer off, turn on only when needed. Nope, see #2 above.

(5*) Our ISP said they could fix the problem but we aren’t signed up for their service plan, another 15 bucks a month. This is a bundled plan so between services, taxes and rent on equipment, we’re paying a princely sum as it is. Not to mention it would automatically renew our service contract and we’d be stuck with them for another year.

(6*) After an hour, probably more, the tech asks what/who is ISP and what equipment we have. This is when he tells me their printers will not work with an extender, that is why the IP address keeps changing. I’m pretty frustrated by this point and told him, “Funny, it worked just fine for the past 18 years, now it’s an issue?” Long story short he couldn’t give me a satisfactory reason why it no longer works. But he’s right…it don’t work.

(7*) The ISP tech I spoke to eluded that the router/modem settings need correcting, but it’s over my pay grade.

I get things working, it may last the day or a few. We’re at the point of changing ISP’s but that would create headaches in many forms. Like when you move and have to do all of those change of address notifications, our email address is deeply rooted at this point.

So my brothers and sisters, I ask, can anyone shed some light on this?

5 Likes

Sorry to hear about your problem. Years ago I went to school for computer repair and maintenance, but I’m sorry to say I can not be of any help. As far as my experience goes what you have done already should have done the trick. It seems Tech just changes to fast these days to keep up. Good luck

2 Likes

You don’t say what kind of printer but the main problem seems to be the printer’s IP is set for DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) instead of static. This means the router automatically assigns each device an IP address (DHCP) when it connects instead of requiring you to set an address manually (static).

Since you’re on a home network, your IP range isn’t filled up so you don’t have to worry about two devices having the same IP address (not a good thing), so go into the printer’s settings and turn DHCP off, then select an unusual IP address no one else on your network is likely to be using. The router will accept the printer using that address without changing anything for anyone else.

Most home networks use 192.168.1.x or 10.1.1.x for the router. Everything else on the network automatically gets the next address - first one to connect gets .2, next gets .3 and so on. If the power goes off, something else may get the address the printer was using before it has a chance to reconnect - that’s why it “goes offline”. It’s not really offline, it’s just no longer at the address your computer thinks it’s supposed to be.

You’ll need to know what the first three numbers are that your network uses. You can find this out by going to a DOS prompt and typing ipconfig and looking for the IPv4 address given. I know this sounds confusing but you can Google how it’s done or use YouTube. Here’s one link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX29HxcaqpQ

For the printer, use something like x.x.x.85 - it’s in the middle of the address range and no one else is likely to be using it. I can’t tell you specifically how to do that because every printer does it differently but it’s usually in Network Settings.

After setting the IP address to NOT be DHCP, you’ll need to either reinstall the printer on every computer that was using it or change the IP address in each computer’s printer properties. Again on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riYvxTwmbiQ

Google is your friend. YouTube is your friend. Hope this helps!

P.S. I’m an IT guy for 39 years, LOL

6 Likes

@Festus
I always use a beater to fix printers, computers and sometimes cellphones.
Good luck✌️

2 Likes

I did too, back in the 486 days. Built our first PC. Was adequate at DOS to get things working, Ah the good old days. For a time our LAN was all hard wired, spent hours in the crawl space running Cat 5.

Printer, PC and laptop, all HP.

You stirred memory, this was the last thing I attempted, blindly.

Yes, our printers first three are 192.

I think this is where I had issues, couldn’t place the “dot” where I needed it when in the setting IP address on the printer. Specifically the last dot.

Thanks for the reply and link, I’ll go in a bit more confident. It may well turn out we’ll have to call in the tech dept. of our ISP, but I’ll go down fighting. The part that baffles me is why does all of the rest of our LAN work w/o this problem, it’s only the printer that won’t play nicely. (TV’s, X box, satellite box’s, Blu-ray player’s)

Thanks Chris! I’ve used a beater to fix a stuck solenoid and stuck floats, might have to revert to just that. :rofl:

3 Likes

In addition you can reserve an assigned IP in the Router itself. That actually may have been done in the past any why the printer keeps reverting to another IP. Go to your router main menu and look for reserved IP addresses. Try to match the MAC address of the printer and see it it is a different IP than currently assigned. Uncheck the reserved address and then use the Static IP directions above!

2 Likes

The other devices don’t NEED an unchanging IP address because it doesn’t matter. The printer needs an unchanging address because that’s what the computers are looking for. If it changes, they can’t find it any more.

The first three numbers are probably 192.168.1.x. That’s because the 192.x.x.x and 10.x.x.x ranges are reserved for private networks. They can’t be directly reached from the rest of the internet - translating those addresses is what the router is for… you know, to route the traffic to the right places. For your printer, use 192.168.1.85 for its network address. If it’s something besides 192.168.1.x, use the 192.thesecondnumber.thethirdnumber.85.

HP printers used to be primo to setup but can be a little wonky now. Again, Google is your friend. Search for “Set HP yourmodelhere DHCP address” and look for YouTube links. Here’s one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llYNMNKJMX4

3 Likes

I try not to ask computer novices to make changes in their routers - it’s easy to accidentally ‘break’ something and then they have no choice but to get their ISP involved. That’s rarely a satisfying ordeal.

Trying to explain how to do technical things clearly enough for novices to understand is frustrating all around so I try to give basic instructions for what I know they can do. It’s not their fault, it’s mine for not being clear enough or leaving out a step I never even think about since it’s so automatic for me. @Festus would probably throw up his hands and say, “I can’t do that!” I know he could, but he wouldn’t think so.

3 Likes

@phuzzy42

You ask for an IT Guy answer and you’ll get an IT answer. :slight_smile: We’re all part of the gun toting Geek Squad here…https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OGC.ad4f060e1098382919876a882aff1857&pid=Api&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2F3kGEMEzmOLE6PG8Wp0%2Fgiphy.gif&ehk=ojHuBLF4EgDPxrQ3afWDukGvxLNmUkxvvie78wl7CL0%3D

2 Likes

@Festus any luck with your printer?

3 Likes

@phuzzy42 It’s working for now, thanks for asking. And thanks for your help. :+1:

2 Likes