M*CARBO Brotherhood

Is Tan Color Similar To FDE By Magpul?

MY new sub 2k 9mm G17 in"Tan"is one its way to my FFL. So is the big MCarbo kit.
I am curious if this is another shade of ‘earth’, or how you guys who are familiar with the color would describe as compared to Magpul’s FDE. I would rather do all black accessories if needed to avoid mis-matched tones of brown/tan.

1 Like

@ScottRT

Hi Scott,

As large as the ‘aftermarket world’ is, I am sure all of the vendors are ‘match grade’ colors. Polymers and metals don’t absorb paint as wood furniture does… I know that some of the Cerokote on metals are a little different ‘animal.’ How handy are you with a spray can? If you are into a tan textured veining technique, that would be cool? It is also available ‘ready-made.’ I see many synthetic stocks with all different colored veining. It is just a suggestion, but preference is ‘key.’ Take your time and make it your own! Happy shooting, my friend.

I don’t understand your response. Are you saying that the colors of tan or FDE are all over the place?

Magpul’s FDE varies from production lot to production lot. IMO, the best you can really hope for in FDE land is complementary shades. The only way I know to get a proper match is to spray or coat the furniture and accessories at the same time.

Blacks suffer from the same shades problem but it is much less noticeable because black reflects a lot less light than FDE/Kahki/Tan/Coyote/Dirty White/…

1 Like

@ScottRT

I will ‘try’ to clarify and make it a little easier. You will get many vendors that are ‘likeness’ in color and it becomes ‘guesswork’ in different lighting situations. It is best to just repaint all items at the same time. In a manufacturing environment, there is a lack of a ‘control’ be it human/computer generated. For example, the process of firing tiles in a kiln. A person who lays tiles makes sure that all the boxes of a ‘specific’ color of tile come from the same ‘lot #.’ A certain ‘run’ would be made in a ‘specific’ week. If the tiles were purchased in another week when the equipment was ‘retooled’ for that change, there would be a chance that the color may be a shade off? If that is an issue that ‘obviously’ bothers you, you are better off 'complimenting or shading your firearm to match your desires. In my opinion, everyone doesn’t see in black and white, it is gray? What is cool to you, is not cool to me? So what? Make it your own! If it doesn’t match, take the same paint can and paint it all the same day or send it out and have a ‘professional’ paint to match the entire gun. Someone will still tell you that your gun does not match/accessory does not agree with them… :thinking:

1 Like

Thanks Lonewolf and Dred. I will buy black accessories…they will look nice with the tan…and I don’t have to worry about having to send things back because they just look like a bad match.

Do you guys suggest a vertical or an angled front grip?? I’m thinking angled will serve well without hampering the tidy stowage of this neat platform.

2 Likes

@ScottRT

Again, it is personal preference. I would not worry so much about the ‘looks’ and concentrate more on your comfort. If you shoot a lot of rounds, you will appreciate the vertical grip, for sure! If you shoot just a few rounds and then have ‘locker room talk’ with your buddies then angled would be the platform for you… After all my years of being the ‘cool tool,’ my body is beat!!! It is ALL about the ergonomics for me… My body really appreciates that!!!

So are you saying that a vertical grips help the shooter attenuate the recoil impulse?

I prefer the angled grip, it really is personal preference. I like the stream line feel of the angled grip, gives me more control of the firearm.

1 Like

@ScottRT I started with a virtical grip on the S2K but have gone to an angled grip which I really like. You probably won’t really know untill you try both. There are virtical grips that fold to still keep the S2K compact.

1 Like

@ScottRT I’ve seen several tan subs in person and they all looked the same to me. It’s a light sand desert color. Much lighter than FDE :+1:t2:

1 Like

@ScottRT

It will make NO difference the amount of ‘recoil’ felt… It would just be the ‘angle’ of your forehand because you will be dealing with the rise/lowering of the wrist. I have had both carpal tunnel and flexor tendon repairs. I am not sure if you have ‘tendencies’ for pain when holding an SUB2000 in such a fashion, but you may want to be observant of that position to avoid any possible ‘flare ups’ in which that would indicate a problem. Just trying to save you any grief of investing unnecessary money. Personally, I’d rather learn from others mistakes.

Vertical v. angled …

On the Sub 2000 - neither. First, the foregrip shape mimicks an angled exactly in the position I stabilize. But I’m not tacticool enough to establish a hold millimeters off the muzzle. The Sub 2000 is so light and maneuverable that it is quickly and easily pointed without the leverage advantage a stretched out hold offers. So, I take the hint taught to me by the Israeli’s when teaching me how to hold and control a Tavor. These days I try to keep my arms close and tight to my body where I can stabilize my support by pressing my support elbow to my chest.

I do have a laser near the muzzle and will use the laser body as a foregrip when I’m deploying the laser. But if I’m laser sighting, I’m most likely prone or advantaging structure/cover as a stabilization aid. The laser dot dance from an unsupported firing position makes me a half step slower confirming my targeting so I really don’t deploy it off hand outside of a “let God sort’m out later” type of scenario that I plan to actively avoid.

If I have to choose … go angled. A vertical grip substantially increases the packed footprint of a folded Sub 2000.

5 Likes

@Dred

Milton,

That is a thought that never crossed my mind. I was trying to look at his scenario as simplistically as I could… I was not considering recoil, stance, and arm placement. I guess if one is not dealing with a video camera a range officer would not be a bad idea to see what is going on? I am only thinking of the aftermath and a bad case of inflammation! :+1: Hmm, big smiles!

Everything you say makes very very good sense. You have me wondering if a laser doesn’t make more sense then removing and replacing a scope or other optic every time I use the gun at the range. Thank you for your response.

2 Likes

Thank you for that feedback. Sounds like an okay color to me… I’m glad you didn’t say the color resembled baby s*** Brown.

1 Like

There are inexpensive scope/laser set ups with reticles. One has a choice of green, for brightness and red for darker scenerios. You can zero it out and get some ‘blue’ loctite and forget it! There are many options out there!

FDE and desert tan are not the same. FDE is darker. There are differences in FDE for example MaGPUL VS VILTOR. I have seen big differences on KT guns with their FDE and Tan.

1 Like

Thank you for your informative and succinct answer.

1 Like