Is anyone here a certified firearms instructor or range safety officer?

I am curious about what liabilities might be faced and how a certification and/or insurance mitigates that risk?

For instance, if someone organizes an “informal” group of people to shoot targets at the range whether it is a long range target competition or a ‘mini’ psa style course of fire, I am wondering what liabilities the person who organizes the event faces.

The official events have all participants sign waivers - I would guess - but what happens at the range or club level?

Just curious…

4 Likes

James there are huge differences between Legal and Civil liability. Just because you do everything Legally doesn’t prevent someone from filing a Civil case. Anyone with two dollars can sue you. Not just pertaining to firearms, but simply walking out your own door can land you in court in this over litigious society.
Any thoughts @JoeFridaySays ?

8 Likes

Law School exams typically have a multi-page hypothetical fact situation followed by one or two questions requiring the student to write page after page analyzing and applying the law to those facts. In one first-year civil law (torts) class, the Professor followed that approach and then asked, “Can A sue B?” expecting a detailed analysis in response.

One brave student wrote, “Yes” and turned in his exam. The Professor failed him and the student appealed. The faculty committee ordered the student be given an A since he had fairly answered the question posed.

So @TexasEskimo is right. Anyone can sue anyone. But there are risks including countersuits for abuse of process, court sanctions awarding attorneys’ fees, etc. if the litigation is found frivolous.

7 Likes

I am an NRA Range Safety Officer and Certified Pistol and Rifle instructor.
I also specialize in commercial/business insurance. This includes Professional and Errors & Omissions insurance.

Certificates of Insurance do nothing to abate legal liability. A certificate of liability insurance merely states you have insurance at a particular time.
A certificate may include professional liability or just general liability insurance.

Do not count on your clubs policy to defend you in the event of a loss, buy your own. It will cost $300-400 a year. I do not support the NRA insurance program for clubs, the are more and better carriers.

You need General Liability insurance in the event you injure someone during instruction and Professional Liability insurance in the event someone claims your instruction causes injury to someone. ( You didn’t properly instruct someone to clear a firearm)

10 Likes

@cico7 those are the things that I wanted to learn. My idea was to setup ‘informal’ groups to shoot some targets mimicking various styles: long range 100, 200 yds; 25, 50 yd precision, maybe some psa style targets. The more I think about the risk-reward (and cost) factors, the more I begin to think: “it’s just not worth it.”

I do think it may well be worth it to have something specific for shooting at public ranges - even just to cover casual conversation with the random shooters you encounter. Do you think the NRA certificates are recognized as “expert?” Ie: “…having or involving authoritative knowledge.” And then, are they worth getting even if you don’t plan to provide instruction or supervision?

Thanks for your insightful knowledge.

6 Likes

I was a NRA Sworn Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor for over 10 years. In handguns and long guns.

I agree with all of the above posts. I could add numerous other suggestions, but I think you have you answer already. :wink:

Larry :innocent:

5 Likes

@LarrySr , definitely thanks for knowledge and experience!

4 Likes

My gun club has an “Events Coordinator”. I use them to book groups. They make money and get the liability.
Just a thought…

5 Likes

I’ll check into that. Thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yes its worth the time because of the knowledge you gain and people you meet.
You can make money instructing people shooting and safety. Not much but and depends on how far you follow it.

I did it for 2 reasons:
Help with training scouts
To learn more about firearms, shooting, and doing it safely.

7 Likes

The other nice thing is my gun club rents all types of firearms. Lots of common brands. You can even shoot a .50 cal Desert Eagle or fully auto machinegun (those cost a bit more. Lol). So the rental liabilty is pretty much on them. And… they sell ammo so people don’t have to bring any. Once again, liabilty shifts more to the range/club.

They do all the planning, and “resources” needed. They’re good at all the logistics. All I need to do is give the event coordinator the number of people coming and what they want to shoot.

6 Likes

This is the rental section in my gun club. Seriously. Yeah… I know… looks straight out of a John Wick movie. :sunglasses:

I :heart: Frisco Gun Club :us:

6 Likes

Wow! My club has 2 over/under 12ga they rent for $5 a day to trap and skeet shooters - lol - if they can find 'em in the closet. I am impressed!

4 Likes

Wow!! a true orgasm store. :flushed: I can certainly see why you brag about your club.

Larry :innocent:

4 Likes

Not exactly what I meant…teaching people how to shoot.

4 Likes

@cico7,

Lol - i see what you mean. I am on the phone with the NRA trying to make some sense out of their curriculums. i understand education has become a product and it gets sold in the marketplace. but it seems like it is needed. gonna make a list and add up the numbers.

p.s. at my local range, instead of a cease fire flag, we have a 2x4 wood bar to drop across the doorway with a sign on it: “People Down Range - No Shooting.”

Some say they have it worded backwards and it should be: “No Shooting People Down Range” :wink:

5 Likes