M*CARBO Brotherhood

Interesting Tools And Equipment

I thought a tool thread would be useful and interesting.
We all have tools. We all need tools. We all want more tools.
Maybe we can discover new tools to make our lives a bit easier.

Here’s something interesting, to me at least.

10 Likes

@ValorSolo

Hey Charles, where were you when I was refinishing my 10/22 receiver??? I had thought that you had my back! :rofl:

2 Likes

MCARBO armorer’s wrench for the S2K. Or, the Gen 2 S2K, specifically…

5 Likes

You know, I just did the complete MCarbo upgrades plus heavy bolt and really didn’t use the wrench at all. I’ve got the easily removable collar found on the newer models. Only used it for the “C” clips on the safety. But I may need to pull the barrel off soon.

@lonewolf I’ll try harder next time. LoL

4 Likes

That’s why I mentioned the Gen 2 “specifically”. LOL

3 Likes

It is difficult to understand our reasonings for buying certain things? I mean, obstaining from that 'little voice inside one’s head??? I GOT TO HAVE IT!!! Lol. Then WE are able to get what we want…

With firearms it becomes HOW DO WE MAKE IT OUR OWN??? It then becomes a ‘race’ to MODIFY it not realizing that one does not have all the NECESSARY TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT then to make it our own??? It is such a vicious cycle @ValorSolo? :grinning:

3 Likes

Hi, I wanted to ask for recommendations related to acquiring a basic set of gunsmithing tools needed for maintenance and routine types of repairs or modifications.

No ARs in the house yet, just a couple handguns and a Sub 2K on its way.
Any tools, supplies or vendor sources would be appreciated.

Thanks is advance

5 Likes

@Hunter06 A good set of pin and roll punches along with a nylon and brass faced hammer would be a good start. My go to suppliers are www.midwayusa.com and www.brownells.com. They’re like a SEARS Christmas wish book!

5 Likes

Agreed. My next purchase would be a QUALITY set of screw drivers. When gunsmithing, the proper screwdriver is the one with hard, sharp edges that fills the screw head completely. If you put the head into the screw and you still have wiggle or slop - find a better driver or risk jacking the one fastener on the planet that matches your bluing perfectly.

A cheap set of digital calipers is easy to find use. And a torque wrench is plenty useful until (and after) you get your wrist calibrated for tight enuff but not too tight.

Many eventually want trigger pull guages and even sight pushers.

6 Likes

@Hunter06

A kit such as this one from Weaver I believe cost me about $60 and has most of what I’ve needed to work on my firearms. Natchez, Midway USA or Brownells would be places to look for such a kit.

6 Likes

Thanks, this looks good… Ty

3 Likes

I’ve got an old dial caliper in my current gear, but no torque wrench…
Ty

4 Likes

@Hunter06

Weaver also makes a torque wrench. Another brand name that comes to mind for gunsmithing supplies is Wheeler Engineering.

5 Likes

On some rifles, there is increased accuracy available to the shooter that experiments with torque specs that hold action in the stock. The other place I frequently see folks torquing to spec is for optic mounting. My kit includes an inch pound torque driver that I RARELY use.

I’ve done enough wrenching on German and Italian Sports Cars to consider my wrists decently calibrated.

5 Likes

@Dred

Agreed, once you use a torque wrench enough you realize what is too tight and what is not tight enough.

4 Likes

Thought this thread would be the proper topic for…
d62c7eaf0d192e5bffb7db9dbd83e68d

7 Likes