M*CARBO Brotherhood

Interested in hunting

I am a gun owner again with shotguns and handguns and am interested in joining a group to hunt or learn about hunting in Northwest Georgia/Atlanta Metro area. Definitely new to hunting. Anyone have any suggestions?

8 Likes

Definitely some decent deer in that area. And a lot of hunters.
Maybe you could check out some of the hunting clubs there.
Perhaps a member could show you around and get you set up.

Or even talking to some people in sporting goods/gun stores.
Bait and tackle shops. Not sure but I wish you luck.

9 Likes

Any particular clubs that you can think of that are OK with having a mexican-american in their membership? I might have a pre-conceived notion that some clubs don’t “prefer” other races. Just being honest. I am originally from Central Valley of California and have been here for two years.

8 Likes

I’m not at all familiar with the clubs in that area. And I understand your concern.
From the people I knew in that area, particularly hunters, race was not an issue.
It’s been years since I worked that area, and I hope that much hasn’t changed.

9 Likes

Thanks for your help. I will ask around and get involved.

Sergio

9 Likes

@cortez71 Glad you made it out of Kaliforniastan. BLM land is open for all hunters in season. Check with the Georgia Game and Fish, or whatever the wildlife management goes by there. You can get all of the information as regards to rifles allowed, hunter safety courses required, safety gear such as the orange vest and areas open for hunting, buck or doe specific regions, opening days and so on.
Good luck!

7 Likes

@cortez71 you will most likely have to complete the hunter safety course first. If you can’t find a good private lease you can always get you management stamp for GA and you can hunt all the management area forests. You will get your tags and when you lay one down you fill your tag turn it into Wildlife commission and so forth. If your hunting on management land you will be required to wear your orange please don’t shoot me gear

7 Likes

Thx for the tip! Can you recommend a good, reliable, affordable hunting rifle and caliber for deer hunting? I am thinking rem 700/783 in .223/.243 or possibly a Marlin 30-30. At this point i am not worried about very long distance. i just want to get my feet wet and hunt.

6 Likes

A .30-30 is a good start. Probably put more venison on the table than any other cartridge.

5 Likes

@cortez71 The caliber could vary depending on type of game, and your hunting environment, but 30-30 is always a good start as @Festus said.

I have hunted with Remington 700’s my entire life, in .223, .243, and 30-06.

5 Likes

@jeffing65 Love the Rem700. I have .270 and 7mm

3 Likes

@Flogrown
I do too. I have had great performance with all of the ones I have had.

4 Likes