M*CARBO Brotherhood

Installing A Pin And Weld Muzzle

I do have a question about installing a muzzle on my Ruger AR 556, came without the muzzle because living in a liberal state they ban the threads on the barrels, mostly because they are idiots with an IQ of a 10 years old, would be ok to send the gun to a gunsmith to make a thread and install a muzzle with a pin and weld (to be legal)? Would be too expensive or should forget that idea?

3 Likes

@slanwar Many years ago I had two stainless Ruger 10/22 barrels (one a 10" Charger) and a stainless Ruger Mini 30 barrel threaded by Gunsmiths offering their services on Ebay and the workmanship was outstanding on all three. I remember paying somewhere between $60-$80 for each.

6 Likes

Can we trust them when sending the barrel? I mean I would get the barrel back :grinning:

6 Likes

@slanwar They had a good feedback rating and how could they run a business if they didn’t send the customers barrel back? I got all three of mine back and the quality of work was top notch.

6 Likes

I found a guy in Pennsylvania that would do the job for $250 not sure if is cheaper to just buy the barrel and do the pin and weld job myself since I have the welder.

3 Likes

@slanwar Have you considered cutting the barrel to a less than legal length of 16" and then adding a pinned and welded device of your choice to get back to the legal length? That way you would have a shorter carbine.

6 Likes

The thing with the muzzle is that reminds me the time in service I had a Galil is just for looks basically, to have the barrel cut and having a pin and weld is a good idea and I will have a professional do the job.

3 Likes

yes it is done a lot but $ like you said