M*CARBO Brotherhood

If you had a choice to buy pistol or long gun

Shotgun shells are bulky but even the 870 has a mag fed version now. And im just meaning if only one gun forever. That will allow you to do more then just close range pistol work. But if i am allowed 2 guns i would pick a good 9mm pistol and a 9mm carbine. Then you only have 1 ammo and endless possibilities.

6 Likes

You guys are absolutely right about the 1911. It’s a classic and everyone should have at least one. After retiring and having carried a Glock 27 on duty for 15+ yrs, I bought my first 1911 .45cal. They are everything I had wished the Glocks could be. I now have five. Three in 45cal ( 5 in, 4,25in, 3 1/2in) one in 40cal (3 1/2in) and 1 in 9mm (3in). Four are Sigs and one is a Springfield. Nothing as sweet as a good 1911 trigger.

6 Likes

@Dane I would love to have a Wilson Combat 1911, But the price is out of my reach. Right now I am up & down with pistol choice.

3 Likes

I have a few pistols and rifles. I once upon a time started buying WWII battle rifles, but the interest in that waned shortly after 3 Mosin’s an SKS and an M1 Garand. I like single action revolvers and so would consider getting one more of those, Maybe a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44Mag. But I really think I would like to build a super accurate, tack driving, 100 yard ragged one hole shooting .22LR

6 Likes

I am well aware of how great the CZ’s fit my hand as well as how great they shoot. I have a 75 Compact, 75 Shadow Tac II, 75 SP-01 Ubran Tactical, and a 97. The Shadow Tac II is a great setup out of the box, the others all have Cajun Gun Works upgrades. However, the A01-LD makes the Shadow Tac II take a back seat . . . I never felt another CZ this smooth. It actually feels like a 97 size-wise and I can just imagine how it would shoot with the extra weight. Chilipepper - please provide a review when you get your’s to the range.

5 Likes

The Sig P210 & CZ Custom Shop pistols have great triggers, but I agree . . . the 1911 has stood the test of time and continues to be another one of my favorites. I have multiple in 45 ACP, along with 10 mm, 40 S&W, 38 Super, 9mm, 22 WMR, and 22 LR calibers and all are fun to shoot. :slightly_smiling_face: :sunglasses:

6 Likes

I suspect we’ll be talking, I might have an interest in a 75 or some form. I’m on a run, discovered I rather like pistol shooting. :grinning:

Will do, I’m looking forward to having a go with it. I shot a slightly tweaked one at the range about 3 weeks ago and I was impressed, it fell to the hand very well and it was sublime for a .45…I hope mine will be similar out of the box. Can’t touch it for at least 7 days yet, it’s less than 25 miles from me and I can do nothing… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

A no brainer for me (and trust me, I have no brain)! CZ Shadow II from the CZ custom shop.

2 Likes

Rifle would be Bergara 22LR TRAINER TB STEEL

2 Likes

I’m a huge fan of my PC9 Carbine… However, I’m in the middle of transitioning my XD45 to a red dot sight and am thinking it will make a better choice in a home emergency. With 3 Round extended mags on my 45, I essentially have the same standard mag capacity as my Glock magged rifle.

Using loads that not only offer excellent knock down power but also won’t penatrate my block wall on the way to my neighbors house, gives me the warm fuzzy I’m looking for.

Besides my wife can grab the PC9 with the 33rd mag in case she needs it!

5 Likes
5 Likes

@Zjan I love my XD45 sub - it used to be my EDC, but I go in and out of government buildings all the time. Carrying IWB and the hassle of rearranging clothing is a non-starter so I carry a SIG P938 in a pocket holster. It’s a sweet pistol but not pleasant to shoot for very long because it’s so light, whereas the XD45 actually beats me up less than my XD9. Go figure.

What kind of mount are you using and what kind of red dot?

4 Likes

Gun shop in my area has Police Glock trade in’s. 17 Gen 4 $379 one mag. Bottom of my list. Another shop which I visited had a Arex zero 1c for $399 and a Girsan MC28 for $349. 1911 are nice, but I don’t want to have like several different caliber ammo. Staying with 9mm. My go with either looking for 19 Gen 3 lots of luck finding one or CZ P-09. I have P-07 Gen2. Or I might find one that tickles my fancy. Any way still on the HUNT.

4 Likes

Save some cash and invest in a Sig Rattler in 300 Blackout with a Suppressor. Fun and functional

6 Likes
6 Likes

@DirtSalior
Those Aquila 12 gauge mini shells are jammomatic…need to be tested in the intended gun of use…not impressed.
Ok for a small person and a single/double shot barrel?
Over priced gimmick… :thinking: Not even going to buy to try!

4 Likes

Read about the adapter ($15 ) for Mossberg 500 & 590 available for the mini-shells. It’s listed on the buckshot page. Not a problem with them but using them in any shotgun is.

5 Likes

@DirtSalior Mr. Mixup and his son likes the setup. Of course he likes to shoot anything and everything.

I have a 500 but I’m not going to “mixup” my 12 gauge ammo.

When I sold my sailboat I let the Brazilian double barrel shotgun go with it…dang it. :joy:

5 Likes

OP, I would buy a rifle. As you’ve not stated our budget I’ll stay in the medium spending range and suggest a bolt action in .308/7.62 NATO with a fair 3X9 scope. Versatile all around cartridge for most, if not all N. American game. Perfect candidate for a Scout Rifle

6 Likes

@MountainHunter

Those Aquila 12 gauge mini shells are jammomatic

I got some of these for my Mule Ear sometime ago on one of my trips back to Arkansas visiting my Pop.
Haven’t done anything with the shotgun since. Been tinkering with other firearms.
Liegeoise D’ Arms 12 ga Double Barrel

Need to get it out of the safe and have some fun.

3 Likes