M*CARBO Brotherhood

If ammo rated 1,000 fps @ 4" muzzle, what's fps out of Sub2000?

I’m looking at putting a suppressor on my Sub2000 and want
the best ammo that’ll still be subsonic, < 1,125 fps @70F.

I’m looking at some different 9mm 147gr, that is manufacturer
rated between 980-1000 fps at the muzzle out of a 4" test bbl.

My question is, how much faster would the longer 16" bbl of
the Sub2000 make those rounds when exiting that muzzle?

Appreciate any insights, as I’d like to buy the 1,000 fps round,
but not if long Sub2000 bbl boosts velocity up into supersonic.

Make sense?

5 Likes

@shane2 Try this web site Shane. www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9luger.html

8 Likes

Yes, it makes sense. And the 147gr loads are a good start. Buy’m and chrono them - resultant velocity is going to vary according to load recipe. Ballistics by the inch gives you an idea; however a program like Quickload will consider the recipe for hand loaders. You can buy a lot of test rounds for the price of Quickload.

147gr is my preferred bullet weight and I have a chrono. If you tell me which you are considering I’m happy to shoot them if I have them. I’m pretty sure the bulk of my stock is supersonic from the sub2k. Unfortunately for this discussion, I’ve never had an interest in keeping 9mm subsonic.

6 Likes

@shane2

Here is a link to data I gathered regarding Sig365 ammo performance in the Sub2000 last year:

Sig 365 Performance Data

A quick review shows it was subsonic from a 3" barrel but supersonic for about 40 yards in the Sub 2000. I didn’t bench for groups but the data suggests groups will open up between 30 and 50 yards. I also tested it out of 2 5" barrels - it was consistently supersonic from a 1911 and “potentially” supersonic from a M&P.

4 Likes

Thanks all for input and suggestions.

Good excuse now to get myself a chrono and test rounds to see what’s what.

3 Likes

I ran some data thru Quickload and it predicts that my HP38 and VV-N330 loads will gain about 200fps when going from a 4" to a 16" barrel. My actual chrony results show more like 150fps. YMMV depending upon the powder burn rate and other factors.

3 Likes