M*CARBO Brotherhood

I WAS so darn confused about the grips

Sorry for the long story here… A buddy of mine got me interested in the sub2k. A local place had a multimag version so I jumped on it quickly and bought it. After the fact, I realized that “multimag” means you can change out the mag releases so you can use swap mag releases for your particular needs. I did NOT know that you needed a whole new grip if you want to use Glock mags.

I have a Ruger 9mm pistol. Again, after the fact, I find that there are no Ruger mag releases. So now my dream of using my pistol and sub2k combo and sharing mags is still a dream.

Right now I have Glock 22 but want to get a Glock 17 slide for it. I believe I can simply remove the Glock 22 slide and put on a Glock 17 slide and go from shooting 40cal to 9mm. Glock 17 slides are tough to find at the moment! I’m about to look into a Glock 19. So that gets me closer to the “one mag to rule them all” configuration.

My understanding is the only way to get a Glock mag in the sub2k is to completely change out the grip to a Glock grip. The Glock 19 grip gives you the ability to use the shortest Glock mag - 15 rounds. The Glock 17 grip allows you to use Glock mags from 17 rounds and up. Because the Glock 19 is a compact frame you can’t use those 15 round mags in your Glock 17(too short).

So my plan is to send my multimag sub2k back to Kel-Tec and get the Glock 19 grip(currently out of sock!!!) installed for $40. I’m going to include $400 worth of MCarbo upgrades with it. My thought process is if I get the sub2k with the Glock 19 grip it will allow me to use the smallest to the largest Glock mags. I could get the Glock 17 grip and would be limited to 17 round mags and higher.

Apologies for the long message but I want to make sure that I have this all right before swapping out the grips. Thanks!

4 Likes

Good decisions on all counts! An added bonus, is that you should get your old grip halves back too.
Good to have options, in case you decide to switch back, or re-sell another day.

4 Likes

@Barron2024 That’s a bummer on the S2K, BUT fixable :wink:. I would do what you suggested and have the grip half swapped out to the G19/G23 version. My brother and I have both Multi & Glock versions since we run M&P 9’s and G19’s. I just finished modding the G19 and will post pics soon.
Keltec is supposedly making more Mag catches for the Multi mag S2K. Here are links that relate to your post if you don’t have them already.

3 Likes

Thanks so much for the reply and details!

3 Likes

Good call for having Kel-tec do the grip exchange for $40 - if you buy the grip halves yourself they’re $50 and you do all the work plus pay to fix any problems. If KT does the work and there’s a problem, they still only charge $40.

1 Like

@phuzzy42 Thanks! At this point my only concern is shipping.I can’t depend on the USPS to get Christmas cards sent on time. I’m a little concerned about sending the rifle and all of the upgrades to Kel-Tec through USPS. I think FedEx and UPS may not deliver items like rifles? At this point, a cheap flight with the rifle locked and checked might be a better option. Sunny and warm FL weather and no masks sounds like a good trip. =)

3 Likes

Sure, take a vacation while some of us are freezing our tookuses (or is that tooki?) off.

UPS and Fedex both ship firearms - I see them at my lgs all the time - but you can call and ask them.

Pack the gun well and put a paper in the box with exactly what’s to be done. If possible, don’t ship it in the box that has a logo on the side - you really don’t want to advertise it’s a gun. Tape all along every edge, not just a piece or two across the front flap.

Take it to one of their stores yourself. Insure it. Get a receipt so you can prove they took possession and also for the tracking number. Track it until it arrives - you can go to the web site of either shipper and have them automatically email you if there’s a delay, and when it’s actually delivered.

4 Likes

@phuzzy42 That’s exactly what I’ll do. I’m not taking nay chances and I want it tracked from end to end. Also, great advice on the paper in the box. When I called Kel-tec they said that - “put a paper in the box with exactly needs to be done.” Thanks!

1 Like

@Barron2024
Is it safe to say you arent “so darn confused” anymore? :sunglasses:

2 Likes

@Stircrayzy LOL yes! I think I know exactly what I need now and feel good about my understanding. Thanks!

3 Likes

I fixed your thread title so it concurs.:sunglasses:

2 Likes

@Stircrayzy I just logged in and saw the subject and laughed immediately. Thanks!

3 Likes

Seasons Greetings,
I didn’t know you could do that without Level 2 Clearance. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Maybe a bug?

1 Like

:thinking::sunglasses:
Patience grasshopper… youll get there one day.

2 Likes

I think I have a new Keltec G19 set of grips for sale (in black). Also you should get all the important Mcarbo parts (like the stainless feed ramp and the internal bushing that goes bad), if you are chenging the grip. I bought the complete kit. It is a PITA but you can swap it out yourself.

1 Like

Actually, the shortest double stack Glock mag is the G26 mag (10 rds), but it won’t work. Same thickness and it will fit into the grip just like others, but it won’t lock in place because it’s too short to engage the mag catch.

1 Like

@cliff70chevy I called Kel-Tec and they said if I replace the grip myself or do any MCarbo internal that it will be out of warranty. So I figure the best thing to do is ship it back and have them replace the grip. Also, thanks for the recommendations. To your point, I bought the whole works, the kit, muzzle brake, charging handle cover, rear sight. This sub2k is a super neat rifle so it’s a worthwhile investment.

1 Like

Pretty sure that’s BS. We cleared that up with Kel-Tec long ago when these MCARBO upgrade parts first started coming out and people were wondering if warranties would be voided if they did the work themselves. Kel-Tec said NO and even told me so directly over the phone.

@kona @ChrisNelson Do you know anything on this? Has something changed with Kel-Tec? I finished my S2K, so I haven’t been in the modding game for it in a long time. I’m out of that loop. LOL

2 Likes

@Wedge I just help run this forum. Don’t know any of the workings with Keltec…

1 Like

Thats news to me. When I used to live in Fl. I drove over to them, they installed all the Mcarbo parts and the Red Lion Precision front sight, test fired it (they supplied the ammo) all for $40.00 while I waited. They will sell you the grip but void the warrante if you install it. That does not make any sense, espicially if it did not need any machining or work to do the swap. If it works before the grip swap and for some reason did not after the swap and you swapped it back and it worked again then you could blame the grips. Otherwise no big deal. Keltec has a good reputation, I had a gen one that had a problem/defect with the barrel (it was several years old) They replaced it free!