M*CARBO Brotherhood

I Now Have A New Addiction

Since I was given this marlin model 60 it has become a obsession. I haveing it leaning in my bedroom and everytime I walk by I give a love tap and tell to be good. I am all the time tinkering with it, wipe it down, it never ends.

There is some small issues with it, what bugs me most is how can somebody mistreat a nice clean beautiful gun, not cleaning it, let it get nasty just all out not take care of it. I had ejection issues, think may have that fixed doing the nickel trick from watching a video from rimfire central, I also watched one from arrowdodger talking about making sure the ejector spring is not rubbing the frame, which it is, so now need to dig out my dremel from storage to do some tinkering. I also found a polishing vid from carbo about polishing the feed ramp. Thought ok second tinker, but got to looking at mine and on top of the feed throat the coating is flaking off, well darn add another part to my wish list to replace, once I get that in will do the polishing.

I have spent more time finding tid bits that need fixed or repaired more money to spend than I can go out and fun with this gun. But in the end its fun kinda relaxing and knowing when I am done will have a good, clean taken care of rifle that never let me down.

11 Likes

Those are fun .22s. I “rescued” one from my dad. I shot it as a kid and took it from him some 35+ years later. He lost his firearms privileges (family decision), but that’s another story. But, as for the rifle, I swear it looked like it had never been cleaned. I know I never cleaned it as a kid. The trigger group looked like it came out of the bottom of a charcoal grill it was so dirty. Cleaned her up and she shoots great with that microgroove rifling. Thankfully, the stock still looks good. Only a minor bit of rust pitting on the end of the barrel. It could have been a lot worse. LOL

9 Likes

@dirtrider73068 … Marlin 22s are easy to love. I share your addiction, but I do tricks for your 60s mag fed cousins. I think I’m at 7 - a Glenfield 25, a 880 SQ, a 795, a Papoose, 2x 7000s and a 7000T.

We don’t have the enormous 10/22 aftermarket, but I’m fairly certain that is 'cause we don’t need it. It’s easy for me to say that 'cause I’ve got 4 heavy barrels in my set that outshoot 10/22s of any budget.

6 Likes

Yes I really love my marlin 795. Only stock stuff is the receiver, bolt and barrel, everything else has been replaced. It’s a tack driver, so much so it’s kind of boring (not really), so I just start spelling stuff on my targets, get some odd stares and some chuckles. I reeeeeely wanted a xt-22. But never got around to getting one, so a cz 455 it was.

4 Likes

@CatFood

I really like the XT-22, it took me a while to find this XT-22 TSR model.

7 Likes

@dave67 Great color choice! Great minds think alike! Now I really want a xt-22!

8 Likes

When you get a few bucks, and if you haven’t do so already, glass bed the front and rear of the stock where the action saddles (there’s a mile of free space/slop in there) (you can get a small Acraglass kit on ebay), and float the barrel (that takes some creativity). It improves accuracy a lot. In between supply orders for the C&R rifles I take out a Marlin 60, 80, and Rem 581. I’ve never been able to get a microgroove Marlin to shoot as well as a rifle like the 581 (same concept applies to an AK/SKS with the thin lands), but your mileage may vary. All absolute awesome shooters predating the 10/22 fanboyz.

2 Likes

I share the addiction. I currently am bidding on two Marlin 22’s on Gunbroker, a model 25 and a model 80G. I’m trying to replace my childhood 22 that got sold when the family fell on hard times. I currently have a 1991 Model 60 and a 1970 Model 60.

8 Likes

Super quickly … my father recently surprised me with my Glenfield 25. I hadn’t seen it in 20 years and half the USA. Last I saw it my folks lived in Maryland. He gave it to me in a hard case with a TWA Baggage tag. Good luck on the gb.

I had figured my mom (basic anti gunner) had made it dissapear when I stashed it in her home as an undergrad. I had roomates that proved unready to live with firearms and fixed that problem. When I tried to get it back mom just couldn’t find it.

5 Likes

I love my Model 60 also. Great little rifle.

4 Likes

@Appalachained

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your bids.

7 Likes

@CatFood

It is my favorite color stock, I believe Boyd’s calls it Pepper. It came with the

Marlin XT-22 TSR and my Ruger Charger but I bought the matching one for my Ruger 10/22.

10 Likes

@dave67 @CatFood I have this in the 22 WMR from Magnum Research! with there 25 round metal Magazine.

5 Likes

@dave67 Yes pepper! I think I might go with pepper for the cz 455 stock.

4 Likes

Couldn’t agree more on the stocks. I have the grey and black laminated thumbhole stock on my Thompson Center Omega 50 cal. blackpowder rifle. Looks great with the 26 in. stainless fluted barrel.

4 Likes

I bought my wife a Model 60W when we’re first got married 26 years ago. A couple years ago I got one for myself. It was all crudded up. I’ve replaced some parts and done the nickle trick but I still get feeding jams and the cartridges that jam, look like they’ve been snake bit.

3 Likes

@Popeye I had those issues as well, feeding and ejecting issues, as well at stove piping as well. I discovered my recoil spring was bent in the middle like an S curve in the road, got a replacement, I also did the nickel trick, but one thing when putting the action back in is to lock the bolt back, if not you risk catching the ejector spring you just adjusted and putting back out of adjustment. I did get to go out yesterday after this and fire some rounds, my first shot right off the bat stove piped, after that, not an issue cycled just fine.

I have also read on alot of forums, feeding issues could be the feeding throat, either dirty, or something else wrong, also the is a carbon ring that forms in the chamber and causes the round to fit tight, it should just drop in, that could cause a feeding issue.

3 Likes

This is what my jams end up looking like. I’ll try taking it apart and checking the springs. I did install an upgrade kit and changed the recoil spring. The kit came with a normal powered spring and one for SV ammo. I swapped them back and forth several times and now have no idea which spring is what.

6 Likes

I would closely at those case those marks and how its getting jammed. It looks like its trying to double feed and jammimg up. I have had mine do that, or the extractor on the bolt won’t catch empty case to pull it out, but slams the bolt back and trys to load another and jams up. If this is happening, you can take the bolt out and remove the extractors from the bolt, it takes a small punch I used a small drill bit, the pins only come out one way, and there is a left and right extractor and also a small spring. When I took mine they had alot of build up, the brush in a cleaning kit cleaned mine off. It helped some I do get jams once a blue moon, I am still getting stovepipe issues. I may change out my recoil spring to teh factory one, right now I have a high velocity its stiffer. I am trying to it to keep the bolt from slamming back so hard but it could be causing my stove pipe issues, to stiff of a spring for the ammo I have.

You can cycle it by hand, make sure safety is on, I would do this outside gun pointed at the gun incase of a accidental fire and see what its doing, see if it grabs the case pulls it out ejects and loads the round like it should. If not there is the issue somewhere in that proccess.

6 Likes