M*CARBO Brotherhood

I got bored,and thinking too much

Looking at some other Sub 2k recoil pad threads got me thinking. Since I’m a fabricator by trade,I figured I could go outside the box on this.
The butt stock needs to be flat in order to mount a recoil pad correctly,so it needs to be modified. It also needs to be lengthened a little to clear the front sight when folding the gun in half.

I chose a Kick-EEZ recoil pad for a couple reasons. The base is pretty thick,so you have plenty of material to run screws into it. And, The pad is solid,and doesn’t have any internal voids,so you can grind it to whatever shape you want,and still have a solid recoil pad.

I sanded the butt stock and then cleaned it with a degreaser. Then I took painter’s tape and made a raised form around the rear of the butt stock,about 1/4" higher than the edge of the stock. I then mixed up some epoxy,and filled in the form.

I let the epoxy cure for about an hour and started removing the tape,but decided to let it cure over night before I finish removing it. Once I remove the rest of the tape,I’ll sand it completely flat on my belt sander,and then mark the recoil pad,and then grind it to the size & shape that I want.
Once I fit it,I’ll drill 4 holes in the but stock,and mount the pad on it.
More pictures will come tomorrow on my progress.

21 Likes

At least with that much thickness you can drill and tap into the epoxy instead of using nuts and bolts straight through.

7 Likes

Stir crazy you are. :upside_down_face: Looking forward to seeing the finished project.

6 Likes

I removed the rest of the tape,then used a file to smooth out the edges. Next,I used my belt sander to make sure the surface was flat.

Once that was done,I marked the recoil pad so I could grind it into the shape of the butt stock.

That was a nasty,messy job shaping the recoil pad with my belt sander. But,It turned out pretty good even if it left a great big mess in my shop.

Since the epoxy is clear,I masked off the butt stock again,and painted the epoxy black to match everything.
I also decided to epoxy the recoil pad to the butt stock instead of drilling and using screws. Once the epoxy sets up,the recoil pad will never come off,and it doesn’t need to.

7 Likes

Here’s the finished product,and it works great. The front sight clears the recoil pad,and it’s still easy to take the gun apart for cleaning.
And that recoil pad is sure to make the gun a lot more comfortable to shoot!

16 Likes

That is some damn nice work you did

7 Likes

Thanks Timmy,It was an easy project to do. Other than the wait time for the epoxy to cure,I probably don’t have 3 hours into it.

5 Likes

Love it. Well done. When can you start on mine? :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Epoxy gunsmithing 101… you passed with an A+ Good job… The lengths we will go to for comfort!

7 Likes

:+1: :
Perfect, nice work, well thought out, clean, polished off nicely, you are indeed a fabricator!
That carrier is neat also.
Cheers,

8 Likes

Give yourself a pat on the back because you did a really fine job.

4 Likes

@Txhillbilly
Really nice job man. That’s the nicest solution I’ve seen yet.
Looks like a bought one!! :+1:t3::us:

6 Likes

Thanks guy’s. It was a simple project,it just took a while to to figure out what would work best for a quality recoil pad installation.
The Kick-Eez pad is really nice,and it should make shooting the Sub 2k a pleasure now,without having black & blue shoulder’s.

5 Likes

Some of us (namely me) are not that skilled like this. Hands down the best solution yet. You should be selling this.

7 Likes

To be honest,It would cost too much to sell. My labor rate is $55 hr,and you’re looking at about 3 hrs of labor plus parts & materials.
That would price this recoil pad installation about $215. Not too many people would want one at that kind of price.

It’s a pretty simple mod to do yourself,and only cost about $60 for the recoil pad,epoxy,etc… Even if you screw it up,a new butt stock from Kel-Tec is only $25.
Give it a try,you might be surprised at what you can accomplish if you only try!

7 Likes

Great job. I have a old kick-Eze pad off a shot gun, going to try this mod. Question how far above is the pad in photo 7 looks like about 1/4 inch thanks.
Ron

3 Likes

Ron,I mounted it the same height as the top of the stock. I just used a straight edge to place it,and then marked the bottom and sides of the recoil pad as to where it needed to be cut/ground.

4 Likes

Hello MCARBO! (echo, echo, ehco,…)

There are a lot of us interested in an upgraded pad! (echo, echo, ehco,…)

You could make a lot of money! (echo, echo, ehco,…)

IMHO… the least M*CARBO could do is… (1) tell us we are all crazy, or (2) tell us they are looking at this opportunity, or (3) tell us it would cost too much.

2 Likes

Mcarbo has already made one

4 Likes

I have that “cover”. It would be nice to have a “pad” though.

3 Likes