M*CARBO Brotherhood

Hunting Shotgun

Hey,
Getting a new stock Remington 870 express, looking to make it in too a deer, turkey and self defense gun. Any ideas of possible improvements? I am all ready looking into upgrading the trigger spring and the magazine plugger.

2 Likes

Please Don’t Destroy ‘‘This fine Weapon’’ By ‘‘Hacking and a Wacking’’
Check the laws on the Plug Situation’ Was my first shot gun in my youth love the 870 enjoy.

5 Likes

Yes, yes, yes. :+1: I wholeheartedly concur with Tony. The 870 is and will always be my #1 choice.
I have been shooting 870’s my entire life. I deer hunt using slugs, with both an 870 and 1100 with standard 28 inch barrel. My hunting buddy bought a slug barrel w/rifle sight that shoots very nice.
Depending on your specific conditions for deer hunting, a rifled slug barrel is a nice addition.

6 Likes

A rifled shotgun barrel is for sabot ammo & a smooth bore barrel is for shotgun slugs. Sabots are more accurate then slugs. Turkey hunting will be what shot size is legal & which choke gives you the pattern you desire at 40 yds. Don’t use a rifle barrel for shot sizes. I further add a rifled barrel with a cantilever mount so I could put a scope on for deer. More accurate long range shooting.

5 Likes

Remington already made it into 2 of those 3 things for you ! The best improvement you can make is get out and shoot it !
For Self/Home defense i always leave my short slug barrel on for maneuverability., but its just too large for practical defense situations.
If you want to tinker with something, i would go find a used mossberg 500 and a bullpup kit.

3 Likes

Deer and turkey not a problem. home defense I recommend buying another one, customizing at the way you want it. deers easy cantilever rifled barrel go on either Red Dot or shotgun scope check your local laws to see if you have to have it plugged or not turkey’s even easier the longest vent rib you can find Fiber Optic front sight your choice of aftermarket turkey choke.

4 Likes

Only 4 things to do, if for hunting. A sling, turkey choke, scope and lots of practice. Other reasons than consider a side saddle, magazine extension & spring, light and lots of practice.

4 Likes

Thank you guys for all the input. A lot of you had some of the same ideas I was having. The one I am getting is a 28” barrel smooth bore. Which is fine, I would like to use it as a back up for my duck hunting gun. I live in NYS so I can go shorter then 21”. But a short barrel rifle barrel would be great for deer hunting. I am looking to get the MCarbo trigger spring so I have less trigger pull for deer hunting. Also the S/S magazine follower. I live near salt water so I am looking at getting parts to prevent rust. I am worried because the 870 is a Mattel black express.

3 Likes