M*CARBO Brotherhood

How To Remove The Muzzle Nut (.40)

Hey all - I got the new .40 Muzzle Brake in today. Watched the installation video - my S2K (Was not recalled) has a 5/8 nut on the muzzle in front of the sight post, different from the knurled nut in the video. Tried to get it off and the whole barrel rotated. What’s the proper way to remove it? I don’t really want to put the front sight post in a vise for fear of damaging it with the extreme torque that it looks like I’ll need to get the nut off. Don’t want to use a pipe wrench or similar on the barrel as that would scratch it up. Hope somebody can help!
Thanks!
Tom

1 Like

is there any locking compound on the threads under the the thread protector? you can try to heat it up which will make the metal expand and if there is any loctite, to loosen up and then use some vice grips to twist it off.

1 Like

Sounds like it needs to go back to Kel-Tec if the entire barrel broke free from the hinge block and started rotating. That’s not going to fix itself.

3 Likes

A 5/8 Flare Wrench /Fuel line/Brake line works Well.

2 Likes

Coincidentally, that’s exactly what I was using! It would work had the barrel not rotated. Is that really a return-to-mfgr problem?
BTW There does not appear to be any threadlocker on the nut. Just tight.

1 Like

Sorry that is Tight Next is Trying a Impact driver’ Hand or 18 volt Style, it will come off and not do damage to Threads or barrel.

2 Likes

Using a weak impact driver or something that causes impacts should help, that combined with some heat and you’ll be gtg. To emphasize more on the impacter, you want something that does more impacting/vibrating than spinning. Come to think of it, a small air hammer or chisel might be good.

1 Like

Seriously ! Air Hammers and Air Chisels were never in my tool box ! Should Outlaw the Noisy Snap On P.O.S.'s

1 Like

Oh yeah I know they’re such a pain, even worse than listening to the mechanics bust off lug nuts from LMTVs. Only other thing I could think of is a little bebe sds on hammer mode or something that causes tons of vibrations, like a…well a…a “magic wand”.

2 Likes

The One ! That made every leave the Shop! Cutting the holes in 15 gallon drums with a air Chisel to make Rag Barrels.!!

2 Likes

yeah man, the whole barrel shouldn’t rotate. I would send it back to kel tec to fix and they can probably get that thread protector off for you. Or if you dont want to wait and feeling ballsy, you can take it apart and diagnose it yourself. Good luck

2 Likes

My lady friend said. Easy fix. No balls required.

3 Likes

The barrel should not be turning.

2 Likes