How to get the perfect fitting holster

Eat more salads.

4 Likes

I am so picky about holsters. My holster philosophy is:

1. If you are shaped like an apple and have trouble reaching back to scratch your ass, you will suck at drawing and firing from an IWB.
  2. Leather is beautiful, involves art and craftsmanship but it’s too heavy, too thick, and offers mediocre retention. Best for OWB and when you are wearing your Sunday best.
  3. Huge IWB hybrids with kydex shells and leather or synthetic backs take too long to break in and it’s like wearing leather underwear.
  4. If any gun/holster you have doesn’t print, you are wearing grampa pants and shirts.
  5. Try unholstering a pistol from an ankle rig when the bad guy is stabbing/beating you (also see #1)
  6. The optimal, most efficient holster is a shoulder rig. In leather.
  7. An OWB cross draw is the best holster for when you are driving
  8. Kydex was a gift from aliens far more advanced than us.

Let the howls of disagreement begin!

5 Likes

@HandyDave Please change the priority of my last order. Put the shoulder rig ahead of that leather bondage wip. Thank you!

12 Likes

Photo reminds me that it is far better to be Half-assed, than Half-cocked!

5 Likes

With leather holsters I spray the inside with water till it’s damp then wrap the firearm with saran plastic wrap . Leaving NO opening on the firearm & put it in the holster for several days to dry. If tight repeat again.

7 Likes

@DirtSalior 1791 makes a semi-custom leather holster that you mold yourself. It works like you described. They include a kit with a special tool and waterproof bag. You immerse the bag in boiling water to soften the leather.

I still can’t love leather for IWB. Too bulky.

1 Like

Poor fella hasn’t seen his willie in 15 years. The good thing about that is he won’t miss it as much when he shoots it off.

2 Likes

1791 while good holsters are mass produced leather holsters for a base fit. Like 90% of what people think of when talkin leather holsters is stamped out ran threa a sewing machine and lightly molded to fit sometines several different models. The plastic is great for some people. But i can guarantee if you have a leather holster custom made to what you want it will change most people minds on leather. There is a huge difference between buying a 60 dollar leather holster “made” for your gun. And getting a craftsman to build a leather holster around your gun. This is for iwb,owb,aiwb,small of back,cross draw and so on. This is my side of it. If you like plastic great if you like leather great if you like hybrids great. But anyone who says leather cant do what plastic does has never had a custom made to order leather.

4 Likes

But ive allready started the restraint system you wanted😂

2 Likes

On the subject of leather, I do sometimes make exceptions

4 Likes

Amazing the turns these threads make so quickly. Y’all are pervs (:+1:)

3 Likes

@HandyDave Me too!

2 Likes

I like this idea.

3 Likes

@HandyDave I understand your points and won’t argue against the merits of custom made. It’s always better than mass produced. Most people won’t go that way though. For the same reason they go to Golden Corral. It’s cheap, available immediately and there’s a variety of mediocre selections.

I admit to a preference for Kydex and its derivatives. Reason being weight, bulk, adjustability and retention. If I carried the same pistol every day for years and concealment was not a priority, custom leather would be a reasonable option for me.

It bears mentioning that there are plenty of crappy kydex holsters in the marketplace too.

Not trying to seem fickle, but if I had a $6000 custom made Cabot 1911 I would not hesitate to order a custom leather holster for it. But for the Ruger in the pocket of my shorts or concealing my EDC Hellcat at 4:00, for me thin is in.

Some guys go for the big soft curvy ones in a frilly dress … my thing is lean, petite hardbody in spandex yoga pants. :heart_eyes: I’m referring to holsters of course.

4 Likes

Being a larger pear shaped man myself, I prefer the pancake (Desantis Speed or Thumbreak Scabbard or ) I prefer the thumbreak though for most of mine in case I do handstands or run…lol myeah right…run! . Sure it is OWB and yes I am not a shirt tucker, but being large and an untucked shirt makes the holster not visible or prints, but pancake is my preference with three hole for cant adjustment. Love my DeSantis scabbards. In my state open carry is allowed, but I carry concealed for a reason, to not be first shot or hit over the head for my weapons.

7 Likes

Leather OWB crossdraw with a thumb break, belt slots. Can NOT fall out or off the belt. It is the most comfortable setup out ther. Especially with bad back. IMO