How Much Ammo On Hand?

With the current “climate” here in Oregon, we are going to start reloading just to piss off the current administration…

4 Likes

@JohnB @Dane I vacuum pack “in the box” simply for the reason of performance.

Back in my precision rifle days the biggest enemy of those tight groups we striving for was any variation in the ammunition. Ammo stored long term slowly degrades, it will still shoot, but point of impact will change.

Vacuum sealing helps prevent that. I have chrono’d ammo that I have had for a decade and it is still within the standard deviation.

5 Likes

Indefinitely…

I vaccum pack, place in plastic (NOT metal!) ammo cans with a good rubber gasket and throw in packets of desicant and a humidity strip.

All of those cans are then stored in a central location that is temperature controlled. (A walk in bedroom closet).

No reason without oxidation that it should not last for several life times. :+1:

5 Likes

As much as love living in Oregon I’m seriously considering moving. I’m getting really tired of these bills being introduced every couple of months that are trying to take away our right s

4 Likes

@Johnksg

Wow! So, where can you buy one of these vacuum packers? Home Depot? Best Buy?

I would not be looking to buy one online, though.

Thanks.

3 Likes

While I don’t vacuum seal my ammo, I have the metal ammo cans (and some plastic ones) lined with the oil soaked paper and then throw in some desicant packs.

3 Likes

@aadavis94 I understand and many of our friends are doing just that. (Idaho seems a popular destination).

Wife and I are tied to Oregon by children and grandchildren. Plus I have three generations in the cemetary and I just don’t feel like running!

@JohnB wife got mine at bimart but they are in every big box store.:+1:

5 Likes

For all of us in Oregon, maybe we should have a “meet and greet” at the 3/23 rally at the capital. It runs from 12 to 3

4 Likes

Our oldest son is in Kentucky with our only grandchild, our youngest one and his GF are in Eugene going to school and working (no not U of O) and are talking about moving to Texas. The wife wants nothing to do with Texas, but if the youngest one moves out of state then we are going to be somewhere in close proximity to both boys. And with retirement (knock on wood) 4-5 years away and the political climate that is turning Oregon into California Part 2, it won’t take much for us to move.

5 Likes

@Johnksg

Thanks for all the great info.

Now, I need to go find me a vacuum packer!

4 Likes

I taught at UO, took an early retirement because I simply could not stand the fact of going on that campus another day!

5 Likes

I was looking at Idaho. I’m in the same boat. All of my family is here. Makes it hard to leave the area.

2 Likes

@aadavis94 kids and grandkids does tend to tie one down.

And as Americans I feel very strongly that folks like us should NOT have to become refugees in our own country!

Thats as much as I am gonna say on the subject @Boomchucker so no need to warn me about getting political. :blush:

8 Likes

Sincere apologies to all for the thread drift above. Sometimes, ya just gotta vent-especially when you can’t place a bullet where it belongs!

5 Likes

@SnuffySmiff No worries brother I am the worst culprit in the forum and was just self-correcting before @Boomchucker called me out on it! :blush::+1:

Back to ammo:

Here is why obtaining and storing ammo is a full time job for me that simply never ends.

Thursday - notice I am getting low on 9mm, buy 1,500 rounds of Speer for $261.

Friday - shoot about 200 rounds at the training match.

Saturday - kid absconded with a box of 500 rounds.

Sunday - wife and I go shoot about 500 rounds through our S2Ks and pistols.

Monday - notice I am getting low on 9mm, go online with Target Sports USA and order more ammo…(rinse and repeat!) :astonished:

8 Likes

I feel ya. I just get my ammo levels to an accepted level and then I go use a bunch and have to buy more. I guess I need to start setting some aside for “savings”.

5 Likes

Thats the wonderful thing about reloading. I go shoot 500 rounds then i come home and start reloading those 500 rounds. With a little bit of work, my ammo replenishes itself:grin:

6 Likes

I lost my son 3 years ago. The pain is horrible. .

9 Likes

I do the same thing. Shoot, then reload. Since I usually pick up brass left by others I almost always reload more than I shoot thus my stockpile of ammo keeps growing. One can never have enough ammo. Biggest problem is where to store it all.

7 Likes

Me too. Need more 40

5 Likes