How Many Of You Ride Bikes? (Not The Kind With Pedals) 🏍️

I would like to see one in a Lattice/spondon /rickman frame…
the only problem i have with that engine, is doing a ring job on one. its about 3 to 4000$ just to do a hone and re ring.if it needs nothing else except a seal set and gaskets.
the cylinders are cast onto the block, unless they changed something so you have to split cases and pull all the way down. just to hone and re-ring.
if your going to run a Vrod, dont buy one used, buy one new, after break in be religious with amsol oil changes and correct coolant, add the accessory cooling fan and trade it on another new one before 70,000 miles…

2 Likes

It’s always interesting how differently people view the same thing. IMHO the V-rod motor is the best motor HD ever built. I know of several riders who have more than 200k miles on them with only routine maintenance. I’ve never wrenched on one so I have no experience in that area. As for amsoil. I heard it was the best thing since sliced bread so i tried the 20-50 in my current ride when it had about 5k miles on it (17 softail with 75k+ miles now) One circle around the block and my engine sounded like a coffee grinder. Couldn’t dump it fast enough. Went back to Liquid-moly 10-60 and all was good. Best oil for an air cooled v-twin bar non IMHO and I’ve tried pretty much all of them.
Anyway, I think this new HD motor could/should be a winner I just hope they don’t limit its’ use to the PanAm and Bronx(if it ever comes out). Would be a terrific touring engine.

1 Like

I get the ones in that people have abused. from a shops point of view excellent hot rod motor but. not for someone with a thin wallet to rebuild. i see the other side of the spectrum, where you get the guys"but i gotta ride man" and you open the cam cover on their twinkie to find not a single part intact…
they skip their camn check intervals, but balk when you suggest a AS&S gear drive system, fueling cam plate and oil punp to replace that grenade waiting to pop of a twin cam system…90% dont get checks done, no services, hammer the pee out of a motor in the burn out pit, and when the clutch hub disintegrates its because the last shop didnt do it right. amsol or Lucas all we run here. handles the heat. but never on a motor under 15,000 and never on a motor thats warm. lifters will collapse and rattle like a bag of rocks.
ive got a 'wall of shame" engine parts, heads barrels cases, that i use as a “if its worse than this i cant fix it” I see the ugly side of bikes…

3 Likes

If you hammer any bike it’s going to break eventually. Oil is like tires. Everyone has their own favorite. H-D has for sure had their short comings with engines, especially when introducing new ones. That said if you know that to begin with then you can act accordingly. Early Evos has issues but I put 98k on a softail evo and never put a wrench on the motor. Bought a used 2004 ultra with 12k miles. Road it home, put it on the lift and replaced the troublesome cam tensioners, inner cam bearings and oil pump. Sold it in 2016 with 92k trouble free miles. My 17 softail was purchased new. At 40k mikes changed the cam, replaced the inner bearings and lifters. Non of that needed replacing but I wanted a better torque cam and might as well replace known weak links while in the cam chest. All that said, if you take care of an HD, are aware of and address the known weaknesses and don’t constantly beat on it, it will serve you well for many many miles past 70k. The new Revolution motor will be a winner IMHO because H-D finally let the engineers and not the bean counters lead the way. If that motor ever becomes available in a bagger I will most definitely be interested.

2 Likes

Been riding for 30 years. I’ve had over a dozen, crotch rockets and ATVs. Suzuki, Kawi, Yamaha. Down to 2 Banshees (1st edition 1987 and modded 2001), 1 Raptor 700R (stroker/bore 770) and Busa with 240 kit & front/rear air suspension. Kept these becasue I’ve dumped too much $ I won’t get it back and rather keep.

4 Likes

@edgararroyo
Nice bus… :bus:
Those 4-wheelers look like suicide!

4 Likes

@Slowest if bus as in yellow, yeah, definitely don’t like the yellow but the machine is strong, both ATVs have work done to them.

3 Likes

Yep! I also ride the kinds with pedals to stay fit

6 Likes

@Wafflefry Welcome to the Brotherhood Rene.

Nice ride. :+1:.

3 Likes

Been riding 50 years. Mine is on the right. This was about 50 miles from the Arctic Circle. Planning on a ride across Texas (825-850 miles) on the summer solstice this year and do RT 66 with my old riding partner sometime this summer. We planned on last year but, well you know what happened.

7 Likes

I 10? plus more stuff

2 Likes

I10 from Louisiana to New Mexico in one day. The Iron butt guys turn around at New Mexico border and go back to Ft Stockton or so to make it 1000.

4 Likes

What? Something happened last year? :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Well, if you keep me in the loop, I’ll pick you up and roll wit’ya through part of the trip.

3 Likes

My plan is Saturday June 19. I’ll do my best to remember.

3 Likes

Too funny. I have to explain; this is the date for the Gypsy Iron Butt which is presently another Covid casualty as was 2020. So, I am tempted to pick you up at the big Texas Star on the border. I can get 1500 miles there to El Paso to Houston … hmmm.

While you are planning … I 10 it badly torn up between Houston and Sealy. It is worth routing south on I 69 (US 59) to pick up US 90 through 'bout Shiner before picking I 10 back up. It’s a nicer ride anyway and it’s more Texaser.

3 Likes

Been a while since I was through there but I guess that construction is still going on. I’ll be looking at road conditions later on but that may be better clear to Seguin. Lots of prettier more fun rides than 10 for sure but for the most part it is quickest way across.

4 Likes

@Rifledriver my guess is your bike got corona virus :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

@hunter1916

5 Likes

Arctic circle is on my bucket list but because of family health issues it may not ever happen.

2 Likes