M*CARBO Brotherhood

How Many Magazines Should You Have

How many magazines do you consider to be enough for a given firearm. I’ve heard some say 2 and some say 15. Like my buddy has 5 magazines for his AR because he reasons 150 rounds should be able to take care of any situation. What do you guys think and what is the reason you chose that number?

8 Likes

Edit 'cause I got lost in mental inventory land.

I’m gonna have at least two mags for any box mag firearm even if it hurts. I’m going to want a buttload if I plan to spend more time shooting than loading. Finally I’m going to want at least 4 if it is a potential training gun (IDPA etc).

Gymnastic counting follows:

Guessing so I will prolly underestimate but it varies wildly.

22lr only Marlin - 30
22s/l/lr Marlin - 5
Browning BLR 308 (Belgian) - 2
Sub 2000 M&P - 8
CZ 75 Compact - 3
CZ 75 - 6
1911 45 - 20ss & 6ds
1911 10 - 10ss & 4ds
1911 9 - 6
1911 22 - 6
1911 22TCM - 4ss & 4ds
Beretta Bobcat - 3
HiPoint 1095 - 4
12g box - 8
Dan Wesson 715 - 2 speedloaders
Colt Trooper II - 2 speedloaders
High Standard Double 9 - 3 speedloaders
NAA Holster Grip - 2 cylinders
Heritage Rough Rider - 2 cylinders
AR 556 - 10 20rd
AR 300BO - 10 20rd
AR 20 Round metal - 10
AR 10rd - 2
AR 30rd - 2
Sig 938 - 8

Plus a few for firearms I no longer own or haven’t bought yet.

So on review I’m gonna note that I will buy on a deal, e.g. Midways $10 10mm 1911 mags a couple years ago or my surplus 20rd metal AR mags. My minimum desired count is two, e.g. the second Belgian BLR mag that cost me more than I gave for at least 5 of my firearms.Seems I horde mags that are cheap to feed, e.g. the Marlin 22s and all the 9mm mags. And finally, seems I also go for plenty when they house ginormous rounds, e.g. 12g where a couple are slugs, a couple more are buckshot, a couple are #4 shot, the drum won’t lock in the bullpup and the 9rders are still in factory packaging.

8 Likes

:smile_cat:however many you need man.

8 Likes

With my Glocks 3 ea. With My AR(5.56) 5, VEPR 1 5 round mag/3, 10 round mags. Now something for those of you who shoot .450 Bushmaster, .458 SOCOM, & .50 Beowulf, my thoughts on many of the anti gun legislation I saw in CA, led me to having an AR lower custom engraved from the standard “Caliber-Multi” to specifically Caliber: .458 SOCOM. I also went so far to get Lancer mags that say 10 round on them, and got the correct floor plate and followers for those mags specifically for that ammo.
Why did I do this? Should it come to pass in my current state(WA), or any future state that a high capacity mag ban goes into affect. I don’t want to worry about what I have. If I have to stand in front of LE officer or a judge, I feel I am better on legal grounds than I would be with generic caliber multi markings and nor markings on the mag.

5 Likes

3-5 pending the firearm. I have 3 pistol mags which I feel is enough. I wouldn’t mind 2 more but realistcally if I’m carrying on me it’s comfortable and be enough.

I have 4 for the sub2k. 2 33 and 2 17. Maybe another 33 wouldn’t be bad, eh.

6 Likes

Depends on the gun, whether or not i consider it a serious gun or not and other factors. I have a few hundred ar15 mags, but only 2 or 3 for the 22 rifle i bought years ago and maybe shot once.

7 Likes

As many I can carry.

6 Likes

8 per firearm…rotate 4 loaded and 4 unloaded for each.

4 Likes

4 per hand gun, 5 for Hi Point Carbine, 20 stripper clips for SKS and a bunch of shotgun pouches with different loads in each one: slugs, 00 Buck, #4 Buck
Tom

7 Likes

For range toy handguns, two mags are good for me. For carry handguns, I like six mags since one in the gun and two spares for carry and then have a whole spare back up set. For rifles, it depends a lot on cost. 5-10 per rifle is good to me. Sometimes more if mags are cheap.

5 Likes

5 or more for my 22 since they only hold 10 rounds.
I have 3 for my HiPoint 4095 but would like to find higher capacity mags.
4 for everything else.
I really do like my happy stick for my S2K.

3 Likes

I’m sorry, what was the question again? Got lost in admiring some the shooters in @Dred 's collection…sensing someone’s a fan of the 1911, eh? :grinning:

6 Likes

Affirmative. And, the more I handle JMB’s gifts, the more fascinated I am by his mind.

Briefly, 'cause I’m way off topic, first time I detail stripped a 1911 without a single tool I wondered how the heck that machine could hold up to a 45ACP recoil impulse … repeatedly. I was in waaay over my head so I left it there.

Fast forward to 2019 and I bought a Browning SA22. I’m a dedicated Marlin fan, but BUT … (yes, it is a ginormous but) that action can only be the product of a savant - too simple and too elegant to be “of this world.” I get this sorta fascination from great art, great music and great writing - firearm design and development was a surprise. The aside: Carl Lewis is another special dude in the field - I had no clue who he was until I discovered that he designed both revolvers in my collection.

Regarding the collection: it is a lot more cohesive/less random this second time around. Couldn’t work after my 2013 motorcycle crash and sold firearms till I could earn again. So this collection mostly represents 5 years of discovery & immersion.

5 Likes

I’ll just say more than I’ll probably ever need.

7 Likes

I hear ya, I’m a big fan of good design myself and firearms are interesting little machines. And there’s nothing wrong with a little 1911 love…I owned one briefly many years ago (A1 from 1943 by Remington) and while I never got the opportunity to fire it (much like you, I sold it due to needing income), I practiced stripping and reassembling that thing until I could do it without reference (probably could’ve done it blind). One of the coolest puzzles ever. :grinning:

5 Likes

Mr John Moses Browning is my inspiration. His design on the High Power has ruined me on 9mm auto loaders I never hang onto a 9mm pistol more than a coupe of years, due to the fact i compare them to the High Power that was taken from me, Hunting shotguns the same, My old Beat up A5 still fires as if new, and even with its scuffs and scars, when I take it out on a hunt, all the old guys gather round it simply being for what it is.
Ive shot it so much the gold wore off the trigger LOL and yet the turkey shoots i attend have banned me from using it, still throws a perfect pattern .Ive thought about trimming the barrel, as it is a long fellow, 28" slick, but i couldn’t do it. that humpback been around a long time.
browning A5 was the first successful design of a autoloader shotgun designed in 1898 patented in 1900 production till 1998. mine is a FN made Belgium
there is a elegance in its design that stands out.
Mr Browning was a man way ahead of his time.

8 Likes

I have 3 each for my Ruger Mark I and Mark II’s
5 17’s and 2 10’s for the SR9c and PC Carbine
2 7’s and 5 8’s for the SR1911CMD
10 10’s, 3 25’s and 1 15 to be shared with the 10/22 carbine and 10/22 Charger
1 6 and 2 7’s for the P938
2 6’s for the Radom P63
3 15’s for the Star M30
1 10 and 7 15’s for the Sub2000
45 30’s for the 5.56 AR’s
5 30’s for the 300BLK AR
6 30’s for the PSAK-47
3 spam cans of Greek 30.06 in Enbloc clips (plus 15-20 unloaded enblocs)
2 original and 5 aftermarket 7.62x54R Stripper clips for the various Mosin-Nagants
50 after market 7.62x39 stripper clips for the SKS.

Aside from the previous mentioned enbloc’s and stripper clips, every magazine is loaded to full capacity - because we all know that leaving them loaded does not stress the springs.

PLEASE, nobody ask how much ammo I have for each caliber though.

7 Likes

3x basic loads:

7x long gun x3 21 each
3x pistol x3 9 each

5 Likes

@Jager Welcome aboard

7 Likes

Welcome @Jager come on in! Enjoy, learn and share…”LOADS” of fun here too!

6 Likes