M*CARBO Brotherhood

How do you secure your home defense gun(s)?

So I do not have any small children in the house since my son and daughter are in college, but on occasion, my wife will keep young children for friends. When this occurs, I make sure to lock up my handgun in my nightstand by moving it to the safe. Well, I found a biometric lock kit for my nightstand on Amazon that works great. The link is below. Now I don’t have to worry about forgetting to lock up my home defense handgun when my wife is keeping children.

What is your method of locking up your home defense gun(s)?

Biometric drawer lock

6 Likes

@em44052 Pretty cool. Looking thru the specs, I don’t see if it’s fail safe or fail secure. What I mean, if/when the battery dies, does the lock remain locked (fail secure), or does it unlock? (fails safe) I ask because having had to deal with one of these that was fail secure, getting to the protected items can become problematic unless some sort of other means of access is provided. Does it also use a key for this eventuality?
And you aint getting away with just that tiny little teaser pic of the what, '66 Chevy either.

3 Likes

It is actually rechargeable using a mini USB port. It also gives you a warning when the battery is low, but the lock is under spring tension, so it will not unlock if the battery dies. It also does not come with a key.

4 Likes

Richard, good eye. Yes it is a 66 Chevy straight 6 with 3 on the tree. This is the truck I drove when my grandfather taught me how to drive in South Georgia. It did not look that good when I dove the old farm truck, but my great uncle now has it and has restored the paint, bed, and interior. It currently has 46k original miles and the engine or trans has never been apart.

9 Likes

SWEET! Nice restoration too! That’s the 230c.i. 6? I had it’s older brother, a 62, straight 6, 3 in the tree. My “first”.

3 Likes

Yes, it is the 320 6 cyl.

5 Likes

Back to the OP, I just ordered one of these, it’ll work nicely on my nightstand and be easier than remembering to secure my handgun all the time. Thanks for the link Scott.

4 Likes

You have to drill a good sized hole for the print sensor, and I drilled mine where the handle used to be. I will take a picture and post tomorrow. I was able to have my prints and my wife’s prints entered, and it works very well with our thumb prints, but has a harder time recognizing our index finger pints.

Pics

5 Likes

She is a beauty for sure

4 Likes

I built a gun room out of a spare closet. Installed a solid core door, 2x4 braces on the door jambs on both sides with 8 inch lag bolts and 4 inch screws between. 2 extra long throw bolts with padlocks and an extra long deadbolt. Going to need a chop-saw to get in without the keys. Still need to paint it all.

7 Likes

normally in a shoulder holster on my person. last thing off at night second thing on in the mornin. Hangs on the bedpost when not on me.
rifle in a single rack in the bed room, above the back door and above the front door. high enough so that you have to be this tall to reach em. locked and loaded. everything else is in safes.
been that way since i brought girlchild home 18 years ago. never had a issue with a child getting their hand on a gun.
in fact she has her own now… :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

5 Likes

I have a Fort Knox CAB20 mounted in the bedroom. It uses a simplex lock (buttons and knob mechanical) that I enter the code for at bedtime. If I need access it’s just a twist of the knob to open. It then gets reset when I take my EDC out in the morning.

Long guns and other handguns are elsewhere in a safe w/ matched sets of loaded mags.

My kids are all adults now. My concern is more for to reduce the possibility of burglary while still allowing ready access at need.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum Alan!

6 Likes

@ForTheWin Welcome aboard. That’s my concern as well, no young’un’s to worry about.

5 Likes

My primary concern is keeping young ones away from the firearms. I did not want to spend a fortune on a high-end safe and most of the cheaper ones are neither fireproof nor very secure. I ended up purchasing a steel school type locker which I secured with a biometric padlock that opens quickly and consistently. A thief would defeat it pretty quickly but that also is true of the less expensive safes. For keeping young hands away though, this seems to work well without a heavy front door that creates a tip hazard.
Note that I used one inch Kaizan foam to make the rest for the long guns. While not shown in this photo, I used the same along with some thinner foam to make a holder for handguns on the top shelf.

7 Likes

@JoeFridaySays What are you using for the light?

4 Likes

@ForTheWin Welcome to the Brotherhood.

4 Likes

@Festus
This is what I’m using in my to Gun safes Rick.

Wardrobe Light, OxyLED Motion Sensor Closet Lights, 20 LED Under Cabinet Lights, USB Rechargeable Stick-on Stairs Step Light Bar, LED Night Light, Gun Safe Light with Magnetic Strip, 1-pack, T-02U https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HO1FLDI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_aPXmEb9B5XN64

5 Likes

@Captainjack88 Those look superior to what I have Chris.
Free with purchase stick on magnetic light I just have to remember to shut them off LOL. And there’s one still inside my moms truck door from when I replaced the cable… Do like the rechargeable feature of those…

5 Likes

@Festus For the lower section, I am using a motion-activated, battery powered LED strip I got at Academy Sports for around $25. It came with a magnetic strip that holds it to the underside of the upper shelf but I added stronger neodymium button magnets I purchased at Harbor Freight. The upper shelf is lit by a cheap LED light that is switched on and off manually and held magnetically to the underside of the cabinet top.

6 Likes