Hot Round For Gen2 Sub2K?

I ordered some of this newly USA-manufactured(?) 9X19m/m / 115 gr. from Zinc Point Manufacturing. I fired a few rounds through my Ruger LC9 and from the very first round I felt that the recoil was quite stiff, more so than the Hornady Critical Duty & Defense rounds that I use, Examining the only empty casing that I could find, (the others may have been ejected into the next county), I noticed that it shows that this ammo is quite hot. The listed fps is 1350. I wonder what the chamber pressure is for this load. I plan to use these in my Gen2 Sub2K. Opinions?

2 Likes

1350 fps in 115gr round is a bit hot but not unheard of. Norma makes a 124gr round that shoots 1345fps. The primer isn’t really flat or pierced. If your not getting split cases I wouldn’t be too concerned about shooting it in your Sub2K. It won’t blow up your gun.
You can maybe contact Zinc Point and ask them about chamber pressure. Pressure is so subject to powder type, bullet weight, crimp, chamber design, etc.

3 Likes

Thanks. Having been an avid fan of reloading for many years, the firing pin indentation being pushed back flat against the breach face, and the normally rounded edges of the primer also being flattened, gives me cause to suspect a “hot load”. As pointed out in another post on another forum, this could well be caused by the primer cup being made of a softer material, (CCI is noted for very hard primer cups). I have the recoilless charging handle and red buffer washer installed to lessen the effects of recoil on my shoulder and the action of the S2K.

I contacted Zinc Point and left a review of their product. Since it was not a glowingly positive review due to what I consider very poor packaging resulting in ruptured boxes that were 100-round bulk packaged, it has not been published on their website. The case is headstamp is from a Turkish manufacturer, however, Z.P. claims that these rounds are manufactured in the USA. This could be possible, however, maybe not. I have also read that Z.P. does not consistently represent its products in a fully truthful manner. This I can not fully substantiate. At any rate, I’ll use these in my S2K and hope they do to cause any excessive wear or damage.

3 Likes

Claiming to be USA made could be dubious. It could be Turkish components loaded in the USA. Really high pressure will flatten and flow the primers around the edges. I don’t see that. And yes there is a whole range of primer hardness.
I would definitely do the the M-Carbo upgrades. I have been shooting +P rounds out of my PC Carbine with the M-Carbo upgrades and see no excessive wear anywhere.

2 Likes

Thought I read some where not to use +P rounds in a Sub 2K.

FJB

3 Likes

I’m shooting +P out of an upgraded Ruger PC Carbine not Sub 2K. I wouldn’t shoot designated +P ammo out of a Sub 2K. But there are hot “regular” (not +P be definition) rounds out there. +P is defined by chamber pressure not by FPS. Thus my recommendation to upgrade a Sub 2K with and M-Carbo parts.
Stay safe, shoot a lot.

1 Like