M*CARBO Brotherhood

Holsters - Protecting Your Gun From The Environment And The Holster

What is your experience and opinion about holsters for not only gun protection but protecting the gun from holster wear?
For instance I would carry my cz 52 and 32 terrier.38 snub nose in the bush more often but both have perfect finishes and I want them to stay that way. Just the dust between the gun and holster will quickly where off blueing. I carry my “starvel” Star 31P .40cal because it is pretty much impervious to that type of wear but weighs a ton.
Where I live here in southern Idaho everything is abrasive. Dust is everywhere and made up of quartz, silica, lava/pumice, calcite, etc. It is very fine and unless you are in a hermetically sealed box, it gets into everything.
The next thing is carrying in the bush or just everyday. Everything here can damage a firearm. From lava rocks, gravel, sand, plants and trees with serious thorns to banging the side of truck, boat, door frames etc scratches and gouges can happen everywhere.

3 Likes

@jeffing65 Maybe a plastic gun with a stainless slide might work the best in that situation?

2 Likes

@dave67 LOL I know, I want to have my cake and eat it too.

I most of all would like to prevent the holster wear itself. It’s like the blueing worn off from rear window gun racks. That drives me nuts, and it ruins a vintage or otherwise special gun.
That’s why I carry the Star in the rough. Worth the least and hard to damage.

2 Likes

@jeffing65 I gotcha, you have nice things and you want to use them but when you use them they become worn, scratched, etc. and not perfect…I totally understand.

1 Like

@dave67 Right. Things should be used. That’s what they are for and what they do.
I drove my 1969 428CJ Mach 1 every day, raced it at the local drag strip, and let my girl friend drive it with her friends.
I have driven two brand new Ford 4wd trucks (with less than 100 miles and to the dismay of everyone) out into the sage brush and lava rocks elk and deer hunting. That’s use not abuse.
Being used out in the rough here, scrapes and dings are just inevitable, which I don’t have a problem with, but it seems kind of foolish with some things more than others.

Trashing and beating things to death without care or regard however, it just stupid. IMHO

2 Likes

@jeffing65, I realize that the more I peruse this forum the more ‘Glock Haters’ there are? :frowning_face: However, personally speaking, I like all the parts availability and the ease of rebuilding them! There are many GREAT pistols on the market… I love polymer frames with stainless slides because they are lightweight to carry! Your ABRASIVE ENVIRONMENT is just that? One just happens to be the product of his/her environment… It is all about ADAPTATION, soldier! Buck up!!! LOL

1 Like

JM2C on holsters, Safariland/Galico ,Bianchi, alaskan guide gear,D&D. all excellent holsters.
had a Bianchi #17 for about 5 years for the makarov. fit perfect. no rust, lined. whith the heat and 100% humidity here, 5 years holster rotted out. went to Nylon, UNCLE Mikes, ARC-ANGEL,
couple of others, nylon holds moisture against the weapon. by the time i drove to work, Mak was flashing rust. Kydex went with Gunfighters Inc, alien gear, or Blade Tec. only issue with Kydex, rubs finishes by its nature you can get em lined, but sand is still the enemy of all things good.
saying that, and the rust issues im having here, (in south carolina, rust never sleeps) first of the year, im sending the Mak and one other pistol out to get parkerized. that finish has held up on my H&K93 since the 80s, drug thru the swamps, multiple 1000 rounds only chips are by the ejection port (normal for those rifles)

3 Likes

@GOBLIN The sand and just banging it on sharp rocks would be the biggest for me. Your sure right about the rust as well. We have all the weather here. -20 to +120, Snow, rain, mud, wind, dust storms, dry, wet, fog, frost. The humidity isn’t like yours though. Average here is 15-20% but anything wet will begin to rust before you can eat lunch. It can be dealt with if a person is religious about cleaning and drying after any moisture gets to it.

I carry on my hip and like the full cover military style to protect the grips, hammer etc and prefer the muzzle completely covered with the end open.
It seems like there is always some friction point that wears during outdoor activity. Somewhere inside the holster, the safety strap or cover, ?
I’m not really up on all the new stuff, hence my question to those of you who will know, if there is an answer.
This is the holster I use for my cz. I like it and it fits great. Drawback is exposed muzzle and grips.

@lonewolf If money wasn’t an issue I would buy a dedicated indestruct-o sidearm for that job, and your right, it wouldn’t be a Glock. Im not a hater, I just don’t like the feel and design of the whole platform.
That not being the case, I have adapted, using what I have available to counter the environment and the consequences of the take no prisoners dedication of hunting in the high desert canyon-lands. .I carry my 31P .40cal. That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t carry my cz52 7.62x25 or 38 s&w snub nose, that I also already have, if I could without trashing them.

2 Likes

@jeffing65 Being on SSI, I know all about the money issues… The environment sounds like a real challenge! You have a great arsenal at hand. I am building my 10.22 Custom Ruger after the holiday so that I can afford to ‘shoot’ some more! I have some ‘plans’ in the works about making some cash on the side… :thinking:

2 Likes

@lonewolf Not only is the environment. harsh overall, it’s also the fact that I exist and put myself in the harshest of that environment…

3 Likes

@jeffing65, I do not envy your challenge, sir!

1 Like

@lonewolf not so much a challenge maybe, but always looking for options, possibilities not thought of, or a better way.

2 Likes

@jeffing65, That is what keeps the world an exciting place? It sure isn’t the ‘stupidity’ of some? LOL One can only take so much of it!!!

1 Like

@jeffing65 I think @GOBLIN mentioned a non-holster solution that may be worth considering if it is not cost-prohibitive or aesthetically unacceptable. I once looked briefly into coating one of my firearms and recall when researching what was available being surprised at the near indestructibility of a “parkerized” finish compared to other finishes. You obviously would not want to do that to an antique or heirloom collectible, but for a valuable piece that you still would like to carry, it might be worth considering.

2 Likes

your CZ seems the same size shape as My Makarov, which both are almost the same as Walther, subtle differences, one being the Makarov has the least amount of pieces disassembled. but they are the same shape. I carry my ol Mak in a uncle mikes ballistic nylon double loop shoulder rig, left hand. only thing i carry on a belt is a belt knife and a leatherman MUT.
ANYWAY. CHECK out these guys, www.frontlineholsters.com kydex full length, suede lined, BFL or paddle, for the MAKAROV it came out to 70.60. left or right hand, made in spain. suede lining is 15 extra and included in that price. give em a call. tellem your cz model they will probably tell u the same

5 Likes

@JoeFridaySays Yes, that is a great option, I agree. I had a Remington special purpose 870 that was Parkerized and it was awesome. Not for antique/heirloom as you said, but other than that, one of the best finish options IMO.

3 Likes

@jeffing65 “I drove my 1969 428CJ Mach 1 every day” Jeff I just want to say I now worship the ground you walk on. :sunglasses: :+1:

Okay, here is a story about protecting your gun from the holster. Years ago I decided to get a holster for my first pistol - a S&W model 39-2 9mm from the early 60’s, beautiful nickel plated semi-auto with checkered walnut grips. It wasn’t in perfect condition, I got it used in exchange for some carpentry work. So one day I decided I wanted to get a classic looking leather OWB holster for my classic pistol and when it arrived it didn’t fit worth a damn so I get the brilliant idea to soak it in water to wet mold it to the gun. BIG mistake!! It sucked the nickel right off of the surface everywhere it fit tightly on the corners and edges etc. I had pulled it back out and wiped it down several times to get the excess moisture off of it but the next morning the damage was done. AAAAARRRRRGGGG!! (I guess I thought a chrome gun wouldn’t be affected by water) I sold that gun a couple years later and then after a couple more years I really started to regret lettin’ that cool old pistol go. Well some Gunbroker research time and $700 later I know have another one in absolute mint condition with original box too. And a leather holster that fits it PERFECTLY hahahaha!

3 Likes

theres also a black phosphate finish you can do yourself, if you can still find the concentrate, I did a handful of my hunting guns with it

this is a old Glenfield Marlin 22 I fixed up and am playing with camo paint airbrush… you can see the gray on the receiver.

6 Likes

@TriggerHappy Exactly!!! that sucks.
@GOBLIN sorta’ simiular. mine is bigger. 1inch longer barrel.

Actually this gun is Not Parkerized and Has Had (Amended) arsenal refurbishment.

I NEED TO AMEND SOME INFO. I’m sorry, I was incorrect in my statement above. (now corrected).
It does have VOZ (military repair plant) stamp (but not in circle?), and that would make it a refurbished weapon, and a dipped hot blue solution finish.

my apologies…my bad… lol :open_mouth::upside_down_face:

3 Likes