M*CARBO Brotherhood

Holosun solar powered red dot

Hi all, I’m Dwayne.
I enjoy hunting and traveling.
I have question about Holosun solar powered red dot.
I saw these a while back and kind of forgot about them. With the supposed 50,000 hr battery life and the solar option it’s kind of piqued my interest. Does anyone have any experience/firsthand knowledge of these sights? I’ve only had one RDS but lost it when i built my dad his first AR last year.

5 Likes

@Gassnas welcome to the forum dwayne

3 Likes

I have a couple holosun red dots, they seem pretty decent. Not as good as the aimpoints I own, but they’re half the price so I wouldnt expect them to be. They are pretty comparable in quality to the vortex red dots.

3 Likes

I have the 510C Elite with the green reticle and I really like it. The solar function supplements the battery, which is why it lasts so long. But, it doesn’t charge it like a solar watch where you never need to replace it. It works if it’s sunny enough outside to run the optic so the battery doesn’t get used in that situation.

6 Likes

@Gassnas Welcome Dwayne to the Brotherhood’

6 Likes

@Gassnas Welcome to the Brotherhood. Don’t forget to go to the First Post Here: Introduce Yourself! thread and say Hi to everybody.

6 Likes

welcome to the forum @Gassnas, the only experience I have with RDS are the SIG ROMEO 5, I love it!
I do have a buddy with the Holosun RDS however he only shoots on indoor ranges and its 50/50 depending on how the lights are. but he is a fan especially for the price!

6 Likes

@Gassnas Welcome aboard Dwayne No experience, but I’m sure there are some in the brotherhood that can offer their insight.

5 Likes

@Gassnas

Welcome to the MCarbo Brotherhood, Dwayne.

5 Likes

They work great for many applications. I have one on a pistol and pistol caliber carbine. I hear they even hold up under shotgun recoil. Personally I dont see a need for one on a shotgun but hey that’s just me.

Very light weight, durable nice viewing window for its size.

2 Likes

Aaron Cowan of Sage Dynamics has aggressively tested a number of their optics with good results. They seem to punch above their price point and I’m more likely to get more optics from them going forward

I haven’t used the 510c and 503gu I have extensively, but I like their features a lot

1 Like

I use a Holosun 510C elite (2moa green dot, 2moa dot with 65moa circle or 65moa circle only) on my PC9 and a Holosun 507C elite (also green, 2moa, 2moa with 32moa circle or 32moa circle) on a Volquartsen Scorpion. Both are great. Bright, easy to use, easy to pick up the reticle. My eye can pick out green easier and faster than red. Both are shake awake. My 510 is a year old and the 507 is only about 2 months. Never any issues.

I also run a Vortex Strikefire and 4 Sig Romeo 5’s on other rifles.

My concern is getting rain on the emitter of the Holosuns and that occluding the emitter. The tube design RDS I’m running won’t have that problem with them being sealed up.

1 Like

At SHOT they showed a prototype enclosed MRDS, I think. Plus a single stack/RMSc sized optic, and updated designs in general.

2 Likes

Like the Aimpoint ARCO? That would be slick. I understand the battery life is pretty short tho.

1 Like

I own various Holosun’s all have the green circle w/green center dot. All have the solar feature. They offer great value. Customer Service is fantastic. I lost one of the adjusting tools. Called them up & they sent me two at no charge & 2 day USPS!

3 Likes