M*CARBO Brotherhood

Hitting Left Of Center

Fer sure. I drop back my right leg to help compensate for shooting left.

4c1a9f869665961167e1e6f7bc79f900

Kinda like the little fella in this picture does? :grin::+1:

P.S. Its Jelly Brice and Bill Jordan! Both men aim with their feet and their hips.

Yep, but don’t aim with hip. Not sure how that would work for me. I’ve always been a rifle/carbine shooter so aligning sights with a pistol is a must for me. I extend arms full length, trying to turn the darn thing into a rifle! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

@russ if you look at all of the trick shooters, fast draws, even blindfolded circus acts of the past they all use the feet and hips to aim. I know we were all taught sight alignment…sight picture but the old ways are not to be dismissed. :grin:

Check out Munden’s technique:

The title is misleading but he gets the point across pretty well. Btw, Rob has more titles than Jerry Miculek so he probably knows what he is talkin about.

@Johnksg

Wow. I have NEVER seen ‘anything’ like that before!!! Thanks for sharing the Bob Munden video…

I do a lot of firearms training with the guys at the security and intelligence company I work for now. I usually start by having them shoot 5-6 shots to see where they are hitting and how well they are grouping their shots. If the shots aren’t centered in the bull, I will fire a group with their gun just to verify whether or not the sights need adjustment. It’s very typical to see right handed shooters hitting to the left. All it has ever required is to have them make a slight adjustment in finger position on the trigger to bring their group back into the bullseye. For those who can’t shoot a consistent group, well that takes a lot more work.

Dane,

What finger adjustment do you have them make?

Thanks

My Gen 2 9mm came with the sight installed off center. I had the same problem. I loosened the lock nut on the front sight and realigned it, problem solved. Another thing i learned long ago is the finger position on the trigger. I’m right handed so if my finger is “short” on the trigger i tend to push my shots to the left. If my finger is “long” on the trigger i tend to pull my shots to the right. I have learned that when i keep the meaty part of my finger on the trigger, i hit center.

@Texprep

That is a ‘good pointer’ Mike!!!

Had an old friend who was a fantastic shot. He claimed that he thought of the pistol barrel as his finger and called it “point an shoot”. There is coordination between eye, brain, and finger, so adding feet and hips as a bipod?? would seem to be a viable method. I seem to have two problems to overcome (1) how to squeeze trigger, and (2) breaking wrist up. Have had some success with gripping tighter to alleviate wrist break. Best analogy is opening a jar, right hand twist left, left had twist right. But not so much with trigger pull. Why I don’t have these problems with rifles is beyond my understanding.

Typically, move the pad of your trigger finger 1/8 to 1/4 inch to the right. Most times when they are shooting to the right they are contacting the trigger to close to the first joint of their index finger. Hope that explains it.

With a rifle you have 3 points of contact, both hands and your shoulder. With a handgun 1 or 2 depending on whether you shoot one handed or a two handed grip. More points of contact result in a more stable platform. Also, the much increased sight radius with a rifle lends itself to inherently greater accuracy. As far as grip, make sure, if you are using a two handed grip, that you apply equal pressure to the gun with both hands. For trigger squeeze, an old trick my father taught me was to practice dry firing while balancing a penny on the top of the barrel just behind the front sight. When you can do this without the penny falling off you will have developed a smooth consistent trigger pull. My father was a Police Officer, firearms trainer and many time regional and state pistol champion.

Thank you Dane , most appreciated!

Sounds like a plan to me, Thanks!! :+1:

When I teach I talk about posture…NOT stance! Lol.

I guess you could say I shoot a bastard weaver stance but I do not do the “push pull”.

I teach high firm grip and as @Dane was saying proper contact with the trigger. I address the target with my feet and hips, or in other words I point my body.

Biggest thing is a rhythm and not trying to hold a sight picture too long, moment that sight sweeps the center, I fire and am moving on to the next target. (Holding sight picture too long results in the dreaded "figure 8s)

Shooting fast in not bullseye shooting. An IDPA metric target has a 8" A-zone in the center and a 4" A-zone in the head. Thats a lot of real estate to shoot at these under 25 yard ranges and why I almost always shoot minor power (9mm) simply because I don’t miss.

And that is the final detail…confidence! Breaking the wrist up (or for most folks down) is due to tension and stress you are placing on your body, spending to long trying to get that perfect sight alignment - sight picture. They are anticipating the shot. Confidence comes from doing something alot, with repetition, and achieving the same results. Even being retired I still shoot 1,000 every six weeks. Competitors will typically shoot 2,000-4,000 rounds a month. That breeds confidence! :grin::+1: