M*CARBO Brotherhood

Henry Side Loading

@hrfunk

Curious. In your review, you describe it as a “brass receiver.” Is it? I’m asking because the gorgeous brass on pre side loaders is a brass cover. I’m wondering if Henry upped their game for the side loaders.

I posted into the “issues” topic 'cause I’m linking the review here. I appreciate your honesty and hope Henry gets it right soon.

2 Likes

I didn’t disassemble it, but as best I can tell by looking in through the ejection port, it appears to be all brass.

Howard

2 Likes

That’ll make it worth a little investigation. I might be one step closer to actually buying and keeping a Henry. Yours is actually the only review I have watched.

I really like side loading with tube unloading. I dislike trading half cock for transfer bar. I really like the upgrade to solid receiver.

Henry Side Loaders just made my watch-for-and-consider list.

2 Likes

I believe my Big Boy is brass.
Henry makes a great lever action.

4 Likes

Really love those heavy octagon barrels. Also a big fan of the straight stocks and small straight levers, you guys can have the big loops. My all weather is a decent gun but I think the fit and finish on some of the other models is a bit better (but I am pretty picky and detail-oriented). That said, the AW is a solid shooter and I’ve had nary a hiccup with it, she’ll run a dueling tree in the blink of an eye and usually elicits smiles as well as head nods from others at the range. That .357 mag rounds really slaps those plates. Just something about a lever gun… :grinning:

6 Likes

You’re not wrong there!
Too much fun rocking a lever action, people at the range love to see a nice Henry. Once they shoot one, they’re usually sold on them.

4 Likes

That’s how it came from the factory, it’s going to be changed for a straight loop.

4 Likes

Still a great looking gun and certainly serviceable as is. Speaking of lever guns, when I was in the gun shop at my local range a few weeks back, fondling the sole M1 Carbine they had as well as a rather immaculate Browning BLR Lightweight `81 chambered in .308, I notice a literal plethora or Winchester 94’s on the walls for what seemed like fairly decent prices…very tempting but I don’t hunt anymore and not sure I can justify adding the .30-30 cartridge to the lineup as a result, sure does bring back memories though. Every one of them I picked up felt like shaking the hand of an old friend I hadn’t seen in decades.

3 Likes

Learned a lot. Seems Henry only uses the “covers” on rimfires. I will keep watching

3 Likes

Now that’s a nice rifle, I would’ve been tempted with that one.

5 Likes

I’ll tell ya, that lugged bolt and rack/pinion lever mechanism are a thing of beauty.

5 Likes

When I had decided to upgrade my old Marlin lever action in 35 rem I was really tempted to go with the Browning BLR in 3006 or 308. Was looking for a rifle with more range and power. I was impressed with the quality of Browning rifles. In the end I went with a Browning BAR Safari in 300wsm. Still have the Marlin, but the Browning is a step above. Very impressive ballistics.

4 Likes