M*CARBO Brotherhood

Help w install - bolt not going forward

Attempted to do the all in one install today, my first time doing anything more than cleaning to a firearm. I followed the YT vid, and I’m at the end where you put in the charging handle, and I watch Chris easily slide the bolt forward into the receiver. But, mine doesn’t budge. From the ejection port, it looks like the hammer is blocking the bolt head.

I thought I did the step where you use the wooden dowel to lock back the hammer correctly. And pushing down on the hammer more doesn’t seem to lock it down any further. What am I missing?

5 Likes

Pic of hammer blocking bolt

4 Likes

Good morning, @Rekonn. It’s 2:40am here and it’s been a very long time since I installed all the MCARBO innards in my Subby, but I feel like something is off with your hammer. I couldn’t say exactly what is keeping it from being pushed back farther but I’m pretty sure it should be rotated back/down more as to be clear of the bolt. I’m not going to suggest you reverse a bit, disassemble the grip and double check the assembly of the internals but…that’s probably what I’d do. Likely not what you wanted to hear, I know. Maybe one of the other Brothers or an MCARBO employee could give you more specifics on what might be amiss.

7 Likes

I believe you need to hold down on the hammer with the dowel while pushing the bolt forward.
When you feel the bolt move forward, you can remove the dowel. I think your install is fine.
When the hammer is locked, it is still sticking up a bit. This is normal.

9 Likes

Mine did the same I just stuck my little finger in and pushed it down a little while I slid the bolt forward

9 Likes

You really get to understand what parts are for what and where they go when you install a Trigger Kit in a Sub 2K! A little more than what is in the DIY video too! :upside_down_face::grin:

7 Likes

@ValorSolo @Whitehammer In this case, hoping he didn’t listen to me. I misread his post, I thought he said it wouldn’t push down any more but he actually said he couldn’t “lock it down any further”. Clearly my reading comprehension is a bit shit at 2:40am.:slightly_smiling_face:

It’s been over a year since I had mine torn apart, maybe I did push down on it a little to get the bolt in…:thinking:

8 Likes

I agree with chilipepper. If the hammer locks back into position it should allow bolt to clear.

Also make sure bolt is in pr proper orientation.
If it doesn’t then you need to double check your hammer and trigger are functioning properly by opening it back up.

6 Likes

+1 to those saying to push the hammer down more. Just because it’s engaged with the sear and locked back doesn’t mean it can’t move down even more since it’s being pushed up via spring pressure.

10 Likes

I’ve always had to push the hammer down a little to get the bolt to slide in. Even before the tear down install. Finger works fine. Push down with your index finger, slide the bolt in. I’m with @Whitehammer with this one.

10 Likes

Pushing it down with my finger while moving the bolt did it! Function check after all good, looking forward to bringing it to the range, thanks!

10 Likes

Glad you got it going. Have fun at the range.

8 Likes

Yeah!!! Another crisis averted

8 Likes

I’d give @Rekonn an extra like if I could for not listening to me. :grin:

6 Likes

@Rekonn mine does it everytime, I use my finger to hold the hammer down and slid the bolt in.

4 Likes

Just smack the CH with palm of your hand and it will drop past the hammer.

(I don’t like getting my dainty fingers smooshed!)
:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I used my “organic” dowel… you can always spot a Sub-2000 owner by the look of their pinky putting back the hammer! LOL what’s up

9 Likes

I’m sorry buddy that happened to you. But this I promise speaking from experience you probably won’t let it happen twice mine got me once

7 Likes

I installed my max trigger kit last night for practice and had the same issue. Just pushed the hammer down a little further and was in business. With the wood dowel not my organic dowel, even though the organic dowel still got gouged somehow anyway! :grin:

7 Likes

Completed my full internal kit this afternoon with what I suspect was a normal amount of trouble. Having the video available close by was a big help. I also had a lot of problem getting the bolt to seat properly. After a lot of frustration and poking around I realized that along with the hammer needing to be pushed down a bit you need pay attention to the alignment of the bolt. Once I got the bolt in the proper alignment it only took a little push down on the hammer with my finger to get it to fully seat.

3 Likes