Hellcat trigger

Has anyone combined the M carbo Spring kit for the hellcat with a hyve trigger or Apex trigger? And if so how did it work? Thanks

3 Likes

A fellow shooter has a Hellcat that he had someone install Apex stuff in. I wasn’t at all impressed, but, never pulled the trigger on a stock Hellcat.
I have 2 Sig 365s
It seems like most people on the internet claim their trigger pull is too light, at about 5#
Both of mine were in the 8-9# range, until I installed Mcarbo spring kits in them, and I can shoot them much more accurately

2 Likes

I just put the mcarbo spring kit in my HC … I really like it but was wanting to add a new trigger as well…you can adjust the hyve trigger to your liking. Or just wait for mcarbo to restock and buy from them … my wife has the 365 … and I really like that platform too… both are definitely great Edc guns

1 Like

I never read of anyone complaining that the factory Hellcat trigger pull is “too light”.
If they are scared of 5.5 lbs, they should get a pistol with additional “safety” lever. Or not carry at all.
IMO the holster, that covers the trigger, is the actual safety.

4 Likes

The Hellcat has one of the best factory triggers in the small 9mm category. Most reviews confirm that.

It’s really not a target/range gun. I’d advise against a 3 lb trigger on a self defense EDC firearm that’s tucked in your pants, but that’s just my opinion. But if one does make that change, carrying appendix might open new opportunities for the church choir. As a mezzo-soprano. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The mcarbo kit is like 4.5 lbs. And, IMO, a good holster that protects the trigger is mandatory, regardless of the pull weight.

5 Likes

You may be on to something. A three pound trigger on an EDC is like an ill tempered woman. The slightest mistake sets her off.

I can speak from experience that crazy girls are fun. Until they aren’t. Same thing with a trigger that’s too light in a self- defense scenario.

2 Likes

Mine is coming in at the 4.5 to 5 pnd range feels good

1 Like

I speak from experience also; I shoot a trigger that I prefer & never will let other people tell me what I should shoot. Excluding my 26 years on active duty, when they handed me a weapon & said " Shoot this " . Even then I polished triggers.

3 Likes

We agree again. I believe very firmly that every man has the right to shoot his own balls off.

2 Likes

As someone else said " You got that right Turd ! "

3 Likes

I enjoy your inane comments on every post I make. It’s flattering.

2 Likes

You should ! You deserve it. 29 characters + 10,000 more

3 Likes

I just started shooting my Hellcat. The trigger feels pretty good to me. I don’t have a way to gauge it but it is similar to my former Glock 42.

1 Like

The factory Hellcat trigger is pretty good but I upgraded mine anyway.
Used the Powder River Precision kit for all the innards and the Hyve Technologies Monarch trigger. Very pleased with the outcome. Average trigger pull is 3lbs.-10ozs. It’s my daily carry pistol and no, I haven’t shot my balls off.

5 Likes

I have read a lot of the opinions here about triggers. I bought my first gun five years ago. It was a Glock 42. I joined a couple of forums and soon gave up. I realized early on there are a lot of people buying guns and modifying with them who really don’t know what they are doing. There is a lot of bad advice online. A lot of it comes from the guy who cant resist whatever upgrade shows up in his email. There were a couple of guys who think they are gunsmiths in my safety class who said my Glock 42 was junk and I should add this or that. There are a few like them at my range who are always having problems with their guns and they always blame the gun or the ammo. The range officers don’t like them. One of them got kicked out of the range forever because he accidentally shot the ceiling.

3 Likes

I should have also said that I bought a gun for protection because I often work nights and sometimes have to do my banking at an ATM or go to Walmart at odd hours. I like shooting at the range to learn how to improve my skills but guns are not a toy or a hobby for me. I take gun safety very seriously.

3 Likes

@flapjack I want to bottle your common sense and sell it at Walgreens. We could make a fortune.

You nailed it. What you describe is what I’ve been yammering about re: triggers and other non-cosmetic mods on a self-defense pistol. Safety and reliability are paramount on an EDC. There’s been a recent spurt of people here asking for guidance after modifying their guns - experiencing malfunctions.

My position remains that for range guns, fun guns, competition or plinkers… No worries. Have at it. For the gun that your life may depend on, you better know what you are doing before changing what the factory put inside. Among the broad swath of gun owners today, the mall ninjas and the lemmings who listen to them far outnumber skilled gun enthusiasts, competitors and pro gunsmiths. Like you said, bad advice is abundant.

Most of the people here are very skilled, but I know exactly what you mean about other forums. On the internet, opinions are like… I’ll just say bellybuttons to keep it civil.

Welcome again and stick around. You’ll learn a lot here. My EDC is also a Hellcat. Good choice!

2 Likes

Thank goodness your balls remain intact! It’s so hard to find a donor. :slight_smile:

What I read about the Powder River kit for the Hellcat was that it reduced travel but not so much the weight of the pull. My HC averages about 4.6 lbs unmodified and broken in. It was 5.3 lbs new. The travel on the stock trigger doesn’t bother me. But I’m curious why you picked the Hive Monarch vs. the Powder River trigger. They seem nearly identical.

2 Likes

I managed to get the MCarbo trigger (and spring kit) - it was hard to get.
The trigger is super nice, smooth. I replaced it, because the original one, after 1000-1200 rounds started to feel a beet… squeaky, like the plastic wore out where it rotates… It has a slight sideways moving too. If that’s the “broken in” I didn’t like it. Maybe because the other gun that I shoot a lot is the P365XL with their superb straight metallic trigger.
So that was the reason to replace the trigger. Travel reminded the same, much smoother, reset is better felt. Groupings became almost as good as the P365XL ones and that’s a good thing.
Every bullet shot in a self-defense situation comes with a lawyer attached.

The spring kit was maybe just a want. It comes with a SS sleeve, but I didn’t like the sleeve internal final finish. It felt like it was rubbing, catching the spring, had to explain. So that sleeve it is not used now.
From their springs I also didn’t use the small spring that holds the striker safety plunger. It didn’t make too much of a difference anyway and my brain didn’t like a softer spring in that position. Maybe I am wrong, IDK. The pull is just slightly lighter, with a consistent wall and reset. Again, the ultimate goal there was to make the groupings a small as possible, knowing that in a stress situation they will probably “widen”.

Then I got a stainless steel striker, from LSI. That was maybe another not needed purchase, but it make ME feel better. I don’t trust MIM parts, I saw a few HC strikers broken and absolutely don’t want to take that chance.
I replaced the OE striker with a SS one in my P365XL too. Same considerations, there is even more important IMO because of the way their internal safety is working and because is 100% cocked all the time (that Sig “better trigger” feel is because of that), as opposed to HC. I still don’t like to have that as my EDC.

I have replaced the barrel with a Stainless Steel one, DLC covered too, because I didn’t trust their covering of the carbon steel. In an EDC situation sweat might be a big factor, especially in humid areas. Again, I compared to my P365XL that came from factory with a SS barrel. And a higher price of course.

3 Likes