M*CARBO Brotherhood

Hard travel case for my Sub 2K

I’m fairly new here but after seeing some of the great carry case ideas from fellow forum members, I wanted to make one myself. Next project is going to be picking up a soft case and thanks to some of you for the great ideas.

I started with an Apache 5800 case from HF and picked up on sale with a 25% off coupon which brought it down to around $70.

My problem came in when I added the MCarbo flip scope mount and a red dot, so I got creative with the case.
I had foam leftover from a previous project so I decided on a multi-level case. Glock on the top, Sub 2K on the bottom. I notched out the foam on the top layer to allow for the red dot and made a mounting plate to cover the cutout. I used my laser cutter for the acrylic plate and then used my vinyl cutter to cut the black vinyl to cover the clear acrylic and made a few logo stickers for Glock and Keltec.

A few pics…I still need to clean up some of the edges of the foam but it’s coming along pretty well.

16 Likes

@xnavyguy Nice! Can you share your secret of how you cut that foam so cleanly? Looks super nice. I have a case club gun case with precut foam but I would like to get another case of my own that I could customize the foam insert to tailor to my exact needs.

7 Likes

It’s not as clean as I would have liked. I used to make a bunch of cases for my photography gear so I had built a foam cutting table but I took it apart before I moved and couldn’t find all the items (still in boxes) so I used my foam cutting hot knife. The table cuts an even better edge. The hot knife is much slower.

I drew my outlines on the black PE foam first, cut with the hot knife. Drew the same outlines on the red thin foam and used some disposable scalpels I picked up on Amazon. You can use foam spray glue or a hot glue gun to join the layer of foam. If you use a hot glue gun, get one that has a temp control and set it a bit less than half way. I cycle the power on and off so the glue doesn’t get too hot as it will melt the PE foam.

4 Likes

@xnavyguy are you taking custom orders yet? Really nice. :+1:

5 Likes

Thanks… years ago I had looked into the cost of a water cutter…needless to say, I went a different route for cutting…lol

3 Likes

I was told to use a new xacto knife and do a little at a time. Question… you say this is an Apache 5800 from HK. My ignorance here… who is HK? Thank you.

2 Likes

Sorry, meant to type HF, harbor freight. An exacto knife works well for thin foam, long disposable utility razor knives work best for thick foam. The key is long, flowing cuts… kind of like a violin player…short, Jerry cuts chop up the foam and leave rough edges.

You can also Google how to make a foam cutter using a model train transformer and metal wire…pretty easy and cheap with good results

9 Likes

@xnavyguy, what type/brand of foam did you use? I am upcycling an old ZawSaw metal case for my sub2000, and I am currently looking at foam options.

@Schwarbe Kaizen foam is what you want. Shipping can be expensive but Woodcraft stores often carry it.

2 Likes

I used PE foam, picked it up from the Foam Factory.

1 Like

ou definitely want closed cell foam. Open cell foam is a sponge. FWIW, the pick and pluck commonly sold with these cases is open cell.

My reasoning is that open cell foam is happy to hold water up against your firearm.

4 Likes

Dred is correct, you want closed cell foam. For me, it’s easier to cut and doesn’t hold moisture like open cell does.

3 Likes

Open cell also turns to dust quicker than closed cell. PE is ideal.

3 Likes

Just ordered some, will update with photos when I get it all in place. Already have the case painted and the design of the placement drawn out.

1 Like

Well, got my PE foam in today! Got it all cut out, and turned out pretty good. Did not have a foam cutter, so had to resort to cutting with a blade. I am thinking of going with some felt just to cover the white foam. Able to fit S2K, red dot w/laser, 3 fun sticks, and 100 rounds.

5 Likes

Great job ! Looks nice and clean !.. for now.

1 Like

Looks great…I know some folks have used spray plasti-dip (comes in colors) on PE foam with pretty good results. I might try that for my next case.

1 Like

KAK 17
Pelican safe foam didnt cut as clean as i wanted with a hot knife, plus had to glue layers,
so i ordered enough Kaizen to redo the Kaks. never had the issues with Kaizan i had with this stuff. you can see the ripples from the hot knife…

4 Likes

I like it!
Where did the insert foam come from?

2 Likes

You can get it on eBay or Amazon in different sizes and thicknesses.