M*CARBO Brotherhood

Hard to lift bolt on Savage Axis I

I purchased a Savage Axis I in 6.5CM. In typical Savage fashion, the bolt was “difficult” to lift.

I found a solution (that satisfied me) in reducing the effort. Here is what the seller describes

" Savage is transioning to a new firing pin that in my opinion is superior, and I have a bolt lift kit that works for it.

None of the older style bolt lift kits will work with the new singe piece firing pin but this one will. Made some improvements and the results so far have been very good. Some times bolt lift is improved by as much as %50 though most tend to be in the %20-30 range.

What makes it better and different? This new kit I made uses a specially modified thrust bearing and a spacer for the BAS screw. One thing I noticed is that most other bolt lift kits compress the firing pin spring more which does the opposite of decreasing bolt lift. The spacing ring fixes this issue. Also the thrust bearing takes friction down to near zero compared to all the other kits that still have friction.

Installing it is simple and easy. No cutting or grinding its necessary like other kits. You only need a 1/4n Allen wrench to take off the BAS screw. The Bearing washers stack as show in the photos.

This kit is for a spacer with a blued black finish.

If you need a stainless one I have another kit listed on Ebay.

Here is a video no how to assemble this kit.

"

deshindustriesllc is the sellers name. He is local to me, and parts are made in the USA. He has different versions for different year/firing pin configurations. It made a SIGNIFICANT difference in reduction of my bolt lift. I recommend these, are easy to install, and inexpensive (my opinion).

4 Likes

Was doing a search for bolt lift kits for my Axis II yesterday when I came across this video. Watched it then promptly ordered his stainless one. Can’t wait to get it installed although it could take until May 6th to get here. :laughing:

2 Likes

It will be worth the wait. It is easy to install and does make a difference. Let us know how the install goes for you and the difference you can tell/feel after install.

1 Like

Will do. I replaced the stock bolt handle with an extended one from Glades and it helped some, but it’s still not where I’d like it to be.