M*CARBO Brotherhood

Harbor freight ammo cans

Happened to be in the area of Harbor Freight today and noticed their $16.99, 50 Cal ammo cans were on sale at 23% off and selling for $12.99. This sale will run through July 8th. For those of you not familiar with HF 50 Cal ammo cans they are painted green, all metal and I’ve never seen any cans with rust. The can is 11" long, 6" wide, and 71/2" high. Locks just like a GI can and has a rubber seal around the lid. They are also stackable. All in all a great ammo can.

The only thing wrong with the HF 50 Cal ammo cans is they have large vinyl sticker that covers the whole side of the can proclaiming “Ammo Can”. This sticker can be a bear too remove if you don’t know how to do it. On Youtube there’s a video showing how to simply remove the sticker using a hair dryer. Watch the Youtube video and you’ll save yourself a lot of time.

14 Likes

Got a few. They can hold exactly 1000 rounds of 9mm when packed in boxes of 50.

10 Likes

Hate those ones that don’t peel off. If they used that material to cover a ship’s hull it would be unsinkable.

9 Likes

I’m trying my best to stay out of Harbor Freight. They do have some great deals, but everything in the store is made in China, including the US flags. I just can’t shake the feeling that I am helping to sell us down the river when I buy something there.

7 Likes

Wonder how many loose rounds they’ll hold.

3 Likes

According to this page:
Screenshot_20210630-122109_Chrome

3 Likes

Unfortunately the new HF Ammo Cans are equal to or better then used GI Cans that usually have a large amount of rust. My lgs has a pallet full of used GI Cans most of which I wouldn’t put my ammo in. Looks as if they were stored outdoors uncovered. Probably why no one is buying them.

5 Likes

1370 rounds. Figure I could squeeze in about 1400 total :grin:

7 Likes

Save some room for the desiccant. Sorry, rechecked and I see it

4 Likes

The Harbor Freight .50 can has “expendable” ammo. Currently fitting:
75x 12 gauge 2.75”
250x 9mm
100x .40 S&W
140x .223 poly topped and hollow point

Nice little party pack actually!

9 Likes

Always there. I work in bulk dry powder oxides. Free screw top buckets and desiccant packs on almost a daily basis

3 gallon screw top for size comparison.
It’s pretty well full too :shushing_face::sunglasses:

8 Likes

I put loose rounds in ziploc bags, 50-rounds per. I use good ammo cans with good seals but the main protection is the bags, and it’s convenient to just grab a couple bags when I go to the range. It’s also good to count the rounds when they arrive - I had one company short me 25 rounds one time.

7 Likes

Hey, buy them up dirt cheap ! and use navel jelly on them… Brush it on, let it work and rinse. Then dry well, paint with etching primer and paint. Or you can use Rust-Olium rust stop primer and a Rust-Olium color, once that stuff is cured it will take a beating. My buddy had a 100% rust covered 49 Ford Tudor Business Coupe. He painted it with Navel Jelly, let it totally dry, sanded it down, primed and painted it, and it never had any rust break through to the finished paint, the 10 yrs he owned it.

5 Likes

I bought 3 HF .50 Cal.ammo boxes last year, on sale I think for 11.99 ea. They are built pretty heavy but, the stamping for the handles to fit in the bottom, are not deep enough for them to lay flat on each other when stacking…That’s the only thing I don’t like, other than that they are great.

5 Likes

I hear ya, I feel the same way walking into HF and Walmart. But the way our Gov. has been working, I would almost bet they gave the contract for their military ammo boxes, to a company in the USA, that is partly owned by China.

5 Likes

Love these cans! I have multiple for ammo. 1 for .22LR, 1 for 9mm and 1 for my .410 shells. Through in a desiccant pack or two and your set.

6 Likes

Exactly my approach. Have a dozen or so stacked up and labeled in the safe with no issues at all. $11.99 when on sale is tough to beat.

5 Likes

Only one each? Man, you’re slacking, you don’t have enough ammo. LOL

7 Likes

That’s an entire topic on its own.

6 Likes

@Krez Got 5 delivered the other day.You’re right.It’s annoying that they don’t stack flat

5 Likes