M*CARBO Brotherhood

Gun Storage Humidity Control

Desiccants are ridiculously expensive but if you submerge your cell phone, you are told to put it in a bag of uncooked rice to draw out the moisture. It seems to me that a container of rice would likely work just as well as commercial desiccants in holding down humidity. Does anyone have thoughts, experience or expertise to comment on this which could potentially save us all enough to purchase maybe one box of ammo every few months?

3 Likes

I went with golden rods. normal is 90 to 100% humidtitty in the low country, rust and corrosion never sleeps. Ive had my arms rust while i was cutting steel on the lathe just from particles. golden rods are a one time investment. one of these on the outside

Ive got 2 rods in the safe and 3 in the ammo locker. never had a issue.

4 Likes

Goldenrods and desiccant cartons in each of my ammo and firearms lockers. Digital thermometer/hygrometer in each as well.

@GOBLIN Was all set to order a couple of those wireless hygrometers, but the reviews put me off.

Don’t know much about using rice as a longterm moisture remover.

4 Likes

Isn’t there a trick to renewing the old ones? Asking for a friend.

3 Likes

I understand you can bake some of them to renew the function but have no idea how many times. That is a pain though and I have been using disposable desiccant. It would be interesting if someone with a hygrometer tested the rice theorem.

3 Likes

I could see where in parts of the country this might be a big deal, but I don’t think it’s that big of deal in most parts of the country is it? I mean what is the humidity level in your house that you are worried?

2 Likes

I use this to monitor humidity in my aquarium cabinet. Been on the same battery since sept, and has adjustable high/low alarm settings too. Highly recommend for remote monitoring, im sure it would work as well in the safe…

4 Likes