Gun Broker Horror Stories

Anybody got any advisements with Gun Broker? Any horror stories? I’m thinking about placing a bid, but damn, it kind of scares the hell out of me. All the sellers I’m looking at are A+ supposedly. But what does that really mean. Not trying to get taken here.

6 Likes

I have been using GB since ‘04. Most everything transaction I made went through a dealer. A very much more honest group than eBay or Walmart’s online flea market. I also like their fee structure. I set it up to receive payment then ship. I don’t really expect anyone to treat me any different.

9 Likes

In the past 2 years, I have purchased 7 (5 rifles & 2 pistols) from dealers that I found through Gun Broker. In fact, I think they are changing their name to Gun Richer - now that I am the one that is broker. No problems to report. Couple went thru Palmetto, the others various semi “local” gun shops as far as I can tell. Definitely would buy again - maybe just be sure that the seller has “experience” (#'s of previous sales, etc.) Then again, I buy impulsively and use a credit card (to help if I need to dispute things.)

:ghost: :grinning: :sunny:

6 Likes

I’ve made several gunbroker purchases and all have gone smoothly. Using a FFL listed on their site helps the process as well.

Now on the sellers side I have a FFL friend who has had a heck of a time with gunbroker themselves, but that has nothing to do with the actual transactions.

7 Likes

Many of my firearms purchases going back pre-Coof were done via GB. I’ve had one or two take their time shipping but all in all positive experiences as a buyer. Actually bidding on something at the moment…

7 Likes

My experiences both buying and selling have been ones.
Good luck.

4 Likes

Welcome MM!

6 Likes

Well, I made my first bid. If I don’t win I’m not too worried. Pretty sure it’s not a super discount anyway. I’ll be able to find it elsewhere for not too much more.

6 Likes

Kygunco has been my go to lately for online gun purchases… gunbroker has gotten expensive.

I may do my first listing as a seller soon for my father in law he has a bergara rifle he wants to sell and I haven’t found a local buyer yet.

5 Likes

My advice, stick to your guns, so to speak. I’m sure you know the value of what you’re bidding on, set your limit and walk away. I’ve seen many auctions run over because people get caught in a bid war, which is easier to do than you might think. You probably knew that, but never hurts to mention.

I typically don’t watch the end of auctions I’ve bid on anymore, I wait for the notification email indicating a win or loss.

It has, indeed, and the system has changed quite a bit since I’ve been using it. You can still manage a deal but you really need to factor a bit into the cost. I have managed a few great deals by finding an item via GB, identifying the seller that has an online store, then buying the item direct without all the markup to cover the GB fees. Done that at least twice now and I also saved on the sales tax to boot, which GB now collects.

As for selling, I’ve sold a lot of parts but no guns to date. I’m not that big on using it but still probably the best place for exposure if you want to sell some thing nationally.

7 Likes

I already got out bid. So I’m just going to order off Joeboboutfitters. By the the time I would have added a 3% credit card fee and shipping cost, the deal was still cheaper. But not by much.

Thanx for the info guys. It was appreciated.

6 Likes

I’ve done that more than once as well (though not that vendor, necessarily). Some vendors have become favorites as, aside from often having slightly better prices and maybe better shipping, they don’t collect sales tax.

This is the science behind it. And don’t forget, GB now hits the buyer with a 1% fee to cover their cost of dealing with the sales tax. “Admin”, I believe…

When I buy I need to consider the shipping, CC fee, the 6% MD sales tax and the 1% for GB. It used to much easier to get a deal there, for sure.

7 Likes

Horror story. Bought ammo, person sent me “the wrong order”. Was 1/4 the value of what I ordered. Apologized profusely. Sent me a shipping label with my return address and “their address” for the return. It was a different state than the GunBroker tax I was charged. Suspicious, I checked the name in Google and the top hit was a news story about this person being arrested and being a felon. I never got my order, and I got stuck with ammo I couldn’t use and almost committed a felony. Don’t use it anymore.

2 Likes

How so?

Does your state regulate ammo?

2 Likes

§95.1.2. Illegally supplying a felon with ammunition

A. Illegally supplying a felon with ammunition is the intentional giving, selling, donating, providing, lending, delivering, or otherwise transferring ammunition to any person known by the offender to be a person convicted of a felony and prohibited from possessing a firearm as provided for in R.S. 14:95.1.

1 Like

Actually bought my Hellcat Pro OSP on GB and transaction was SUPER smooth. My dealings with NICS was more of a problem. Took 35 days to get cleared and my record is clean. Had my gun shipped to my local FFL who couldn’t believe how long it took to release the gun. Bought it because of the Springfield Armory gear up promo. Waiting on extra mags and hopefully the gun range bag and not the folio that no one likes.

4 Likes

I thought by law that NICS had 10 days, and if they go beyond that, then the FFL could complete the sale. Maybe I’m wrong? :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

That’s the keyword. You know they are a felon.

And…

2 Likes

Five business days here in Texas.

2 Likes

The laws got ways to trap ya one way or another.

3 Likes