M*CARBO Brotherhood

Guess the Broken Part!

Let’s play a game! First to identify the problem between these two Sig Sauer P320 FCU’s gets a crisp high five!

9 Likes

They are both made by Sig?

7 Likes

I know parts is parts… but this part ain’t looking too good…

10 Likes

Oh oh it’s the ejector!

9 Likes

@TexasEskimo hahahaha! Gun was stove piping failing to eject like crazy. Driving me mad. I had recently changed mag springs and recoil spring and thought I created the issue. It never dawned on me to look at the ejector. Shot 3 matches with nonstop issues. A few days before I leave for Nationals I finally figured it out. Pot metal garbage.

12 Likes

Well… who’d of thunk it would be the ejector? Knock me down with a feather. :rofl:

11 Likes

@TexasEskimo my mind was wrapped around the springs I replaced and the extractor assembly

9 Likes

How would that even break naturally?
Lower rate recoil spring left too much energy in the slide (pushing the casing) to hit it?
Is the extractor claw OK?

PS: I wonder if there were dimple marks on the rim or ejected brass.
I always grab a few spent ones and look at them at home.

3 Likes

@SoNic over inserted mag at slide lock bent it last year. Prolly the same broke it and I didn’t notice

6 Likes

Tarzan strong is :rofl:

Yeah, I didn’t know that is possible, but it makes sense. If is even slightly bent, and then straightened, that introduces fatigue stress. The inertia forces will keep stressing that point.
PS: That’s why that cut is round, to minimize any stress concentrators in that cut.
PPS: I have looked at my pistols and the mag hits the bottom of the well before the top hits the extractor. That’s like 1/16" left there.
Now I see how a flared mag well can stress that piece of metal on top!

2 Likes

@SoNic i take the factory base pads off and use Taran extensions. There’s nothing to stop over insertion but you generally never reload at slide lock in competition. It does occasionally happen though

3 Likes

I never thought about that. Interesting.
So if you load the mag with the slide closed, is that metal ejector going to flex a bit, hit the slide above, and stop there?

2 Likes

@sonic correct. On a closed slide your ejector is typically safe

3 Likes