Grumpy Old Bastad

14 Likes

8 Likes

Maybe not the best thread to put this under, but sure miss this leader:

8 Likes
4 Likes

I started @11 delivering newspapers on my bicycle.

8 Likes

Shoot, you all were lazy. I was 8 or 9 walking the road collecting pop bottles to get the return money at the store. We didn’t have a local newspaper at that time. I can’t remember owning my own bicycle.

I do remember driving my 1954 ford to jr high until I got kicked out of the teachers parking lot. I didn’t have a drivers license.:see_no_evil:
:rofl: :rofl:

Larry

11 Likes

Paper route at 11 paid for my Winchester M70 in .243 at age 13. Still have it 49 years later. Only thing original is the receiver & bolt. Lots of upgrades over the years! Why is it impossible for our bodies to be upgraded & improved to work better after the same number of years?

8 Likes

A lot of kids started delivering papers which was more work than many realize. That opportunity no longer exists and would probably be unsafe if it did.

7 Likes

That’s not a job. It’s a rite of passage for anyone now over 50. I bought a lot of candy and comics that way-and found a lot of booze bottles and other nastiness in the process.

6 Likes

How we handle uninvited guests

3 Likes

My friend had a rural route to deliver papers via car. Sun AM was especially unsafe as we often did it after the bars closed :wink:

:turkey: :blue_car:

5 Likes

Talking about work ethic makes m think of “boss ethic” (if such a thing exists) :wink:

Me: There you go sir, your computer is now on the internet.

Client: Great now hook up all 10 other computers!

Me: I can do that but it will cost extra.

Client: No! You will hook up all of my computers or I will call your boss and get you fired!!

Me: If I don’t work for free for you, you are gonna call my boss??

Client: Yes - better get started!!!

Me: Here is his number - can you put it on speaker - I need a good laugh :rofl:

:turkey: :rofl: :turkey:

p.s. Elon, are you reading this? :laughing:

4 Likes

I took over the route after 2+ years of no delivery boy (yes, BOYs, in those days). The newspaper company said I can keep all the back collections if the customers chose to pay them - most DID (honest people, back then). I made a ton of $$ (actually, about $200), enough to buy the rifle with a 4x Redfield Widefield scope and they threw in a box of ammo for free. My, how things have changed.

The rifle is now in its sixth scope, a NiteForce 6.5-20 x 56 SHV. All previous scopes live other lives.

8 Likes
4 Likes
6 Likes

I couldn’t help it knowing this has already been posted I just had to share it again. :see_no_evil:
Larry

9 Likes

11 Likes

I remember belt on the Britches! :smile:

10 Likes

Do you remember that bar of tasty green soap under the kitchen sink when you said a bad word? I do!..got to where I liked it :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Soooo, that is where the fad of eating laundry & dishwasher pods originated. We were treated with bar soap.

“The belt” hung on a nail on the basement pillar post at the bottom of the stairs.

4 Likes