Grand Power Stribog SP9A1...anyone?

Just wondering if anyone here owns or has experience with one of these…

They seem to be fairly cost-effective and appear to get solid reviews for the most part, but I always like to hear from the brotherhood.

5 Likes

I know the AG3 will take Glock mags, otherwise I think they are proprietary iirc.

4 Likes

I understand they do have one that’s Glock mag compatible, though I’m fine with it not being so as I don’t own or plan on owning one of the Austrians. Not a hater, just not fond of them, don’t shoot them particularly well (and much like my women, I like my triggers without dicks :grinning:)…but I totally get the mag compatibility thing.

5 Likes

The only other thing I remember offhand on them is some thought the front sight was kinda cheaply made. But, with the full rail, doesn’t matter too much :+1:t2:

4 Likes

I think it was the entire flip up sight setup, I’ve seen those remarks noting they’re kind of cheesy. Some of them have been way off as I understand it, but at least the firearm comes with something to get you out and testing the thing, maybe to figure out what kind of optic or sights you want to install.

Been kind of tempted by this one for some time. I’d really be interested in the carbine version but that seems to have gone the way of the Dodo.

4 Likes

I shot a friend’s a3 roller delay version, side by side with a 300BLK AR. Maybe I am a bit numb, but didn’t see any real recoil difference. I was shooting 150gr in the 300 at about 1800 FPS and 124gr out of the Bog at 1150. Depending on what you are after.

2 Likes

Not the first time I heard this, apparently true of the A1 as well.

Kind of looking for something in a pistol caliber and non-AR platform. I know there are folks who don’t see a point to the PCC’s and I completely understand where they are coming from, but my intent is for more of a fun gun, range plinker than a tactical tool…not that it couldn’t be used to defend yourself effectively in certain situations. Plus 9mm is about the cheapest ammo I shoot next to .22lr.

As I understand it, the 300 is well suited for near field hole punching, and I have considered it a number of times for use in an AR upper project. This may still happen at some point as I haven’t built anything in a while and when I’m idle I get into trouble…it’s either a 300AAC upper or a complete AR-10/LR308 build. :thinking:

4 Likes

I don’t own one but….I have handled one!
The A1 being a straight blow back operation does have significant recoil over the A3 roller delayed option. The A3 also has a non reciprocating charging handle.
The first Gen magazines were problematic and suffered feeding issues. The Gen 3 magazines are now curved and work much better.
The design is solid and it’s built like a tank as it was originally designed as a SMG.
If it was me I would go for the A3 with the curved mags.

3 Likes

The latest gen of the A1 also has this, I believe.

This seems to be the biggest issue I’ve come across relating to the mags, regardless of model. Apparently there are lower conversion options available that allow for the use of CZ Scorpion type mags and standard AR grips…of course, this all costs money…

I have seen some reviews casting shade on the roller delayed model and actually recommending the A1 over it. That said, whatever the issue was, it may have been addressed by this point. In theory, the roller delay should be a more refined system over straight blow back.

Seems to be the general consensus. Many noted they were apprehensive until they actually received the gun and used it, stating fit and finish is excellent and it’s a blast to shoot.

4 Likes

I fully understand the PCC sentiment. Look at how many pistol caliber lever guns there are. You definitely have no need in justification of your caliber decisions. I agree the Bog is a reliable stout gun. I do think the magazines are the weak link in their system. Magazine issues are a great many issues when ARs fail.

On the 300BLK v. 308 topic, the ammo costs approximately the same. Either system is a joy to shoot. Maybe both is the answer? Sorry, not sorry for the help $

3 Likes

That’s a worthwhile update.

The initial version had an issue with the bolt that was addressed I think. From what I’ve seen the modification has taken care of that.

I saw those lower conversions and they were expensive, sort of defeats the purpose of the gun really.
Scorpion mags are the best/cheapest mags out there. I run them in my AK-V and I can pick them up for $15 all day long.
You might want to put an AK-V on your radar, it’s a couple of hundred dollars more but definitely a fun and reliable piece with a lifetime warranty.
There I go, spending your money again. :wink:

2 Likes

If I had the $$ for every weapon system I coveted, Uncle Sam would have to print more! I grew up with 8” artillery then moved on to the Bradley. Not that I coveted the Bradley, but was deployed with it in DS and saw a lot of systems that worked better in that hot environment. Thankfully I worked mainly at night. I really think there are a million wonderful weapons out there. Now, to collect the ones I enjoy the best. My kids will have to celebrate my life with a pile of brass, because I will have already spent my gold!

8 Likes

I’ve eyeballed both the AK-V and AR-V from PSA. I believe both are more than the Bog (unless one factors in a lower conversion), but the mags would cheaper, reliable and likely easier to source. If I went the AR-V route (and possibly the AK-V), I could stick with a carbine and avoid the state level regulated firearm garbage.

3 Likes

As it should be!! :rofl::clap:t2:

3 Likes

Both great options.
I have some time behind an AR-V and loved it, might have to pick one up sometime.
Initial cost is higher I agree but with me, magazine availability/cost/reliability is always a factor. Lifetime warranty goes a long way with me too.
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-v-16-9mm-1-10-lightweight-m-lok-moe-ept-pistol.html
Decent price right now.

4 Likes

Yep, that’s the one. Only downside is I’ll get it with no magazine, PSA pulls them for states with mag cap limits… :unamused:

1 Like

The Peoples Republic must be obeyed :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

I love where I live but I really hate the politics of this state. We are prisoner to the liberal ignorance due to Baltimore and the suburban areas of DC located in Maryland. The western and eastern portions of the state are geographically larger and generally not liberal but the aforementioned areas have the numbers and rule the roost as a result. You should hear the garbage being spewed by lawmakers here since the SCOTUS ruling against NY. I wouldn’t be surprised if the next governor is a dem and pulls some $hit like Hochul is to circumvent the ruling… :unamused:

4 Likes

Similar story with California, LA and San Francisco call the shots with elections to the detriment of the rest.

2 Likes

Yeah, I know. Just venting a bit, I suppose.

2 Likes