Glock 43X Probs

I am extremely frustrated at this point. I purchased the spring kit from MCARBO for my Glock 43X as I did not particularly care for the trigger pull. Watched the vid that MCARBO has on their website at least twice. Did everything as instructed INCLUDING polishing all the internal parts depicted in the vid. After doing all this, I find that the trigger pull, while lots better than out of the box, its STILL at 5.5lbs give or take an ounce or two. Is there anything else that can be done to reach my goal of 2.5 - 3.0lbs. I may just be so accustomed to the trigger pull on my Springfield Armory and Ruger SR45 that nothing else will do OR am I just being a female reproductive organ? BTW, everything I’ve done had zero effect on the felt “trigger flip” either. Maybe I should consider giving the Glock up for adoption. Suggestions??

5 Likes

I can give the address to my FFL…:smirk::sunglasses::+1:
Im not joking if you’re not.

Sorry, not too familiar with the 43x, but i can vouch for polishing the connector, and trigger bar being the #1 best mod for improved feel.

5 Likes

Just out of curiosity, what tool are you using to measure the pull? I had the lower end model Wheelerfor years and it wasn’t very accurate. I upgraded to the Lyman digital and it worked a lot better. More accurate and consistent readings.

Just for shits and grins, double check the firing pin sleeve. It’s cheap plastic and can get buggered up. Also, over-lubing the gun can allow oil to get in there and along with a smattering of carbon can put some drag on the spring. Maybe it’s not that but worth a look.

To get what you want, go with the Apex trigger. Polishing and changing springs is only going to yield small gains. You need to change the trigger to get to 2-3 lbs. The CMC or Apex will get you closer to your dream.

Strictly my opinion: A 2-3 pound pull on a small self-defense pistol might not be a great idea. I presume you are not using a 43X in competitive shooting. A very light trigger is fine in a range lane but its potentially a hazard in a real self-defense situation. No judgement, do as you wish. But I have been lectured on that more than once by very experienced self defense trainers.

6 Likes

Yes, I did polish the connector as well and I would like to see if I can get it where I am comfortable with it before I look for a new owner. Thanks, and I will keep you in mind if it comes to that.

2 Likes

Yes, I am using a Wheeler trigger pull measuring tool. It started out at about 9.5lbs and after the polishing and spring changeout it came down to around 5.5lbs. Don’t think over lubing is the prob and I will check the firing pin sleeve. The trigger changeout really intrigues me. I have been considering doing that for a month or so. I currently alternate my carry weapon. Springfield Armory 1911, CZ75SP01, and the Glock. I went to the Glock for the weight factor but not sure if that was the right way to go. Yes, I agree, light trigger pull on a carry weapon can be potentially an accidental discharge or worse. I am very experienced however, and my finger never touches the trigger till I’m ready and sure I need to fire. Thank you for your help, I’m definitely going to explore the trigger option.

3 Likes

That sounds really high for a stock 43. 5-6 lbs would be more normal. Placement of the trigger pull gauge can effect measurement of trigger pull too.
Anyway, count me as another vote for Apex. I’ve been using them for years on my S&W M&Ps. Can’t go wrong with their trigger but they will never be as good as a CZ or 1911.

4 Likes

I asked a buddy of mine who is a Glock armorer. The factory trigger pull on a 43 is 7.5 lbs give or take a few oz’s. It looks like the polishing and MCarbo springs shaved off a couple of pounds. That’s about right. To get less, as mentioned previously you need an aftermarket trigger. Best guess… that’s going to land you around 4lbs. I wouldn’t go any less than that. I’m not sure it’s even possible to get 2-3 lbs without taking the risk of light strikes. For all their pros and cons, factory Glocks are supremely reliable. Trigger discipline aside, what I’m also suggesting is futzing with the fire control (SAS) too much might cause it to not go bang when you need it. Or become temperamental about ammo. I think everyone would agree that’s an unacceptable tradeoff for a self defense firearm.

Final note: My Glock-loving buddy told me to check out Johnny Glock. His triggers are getting high praise from some people who shoot competitively. But I don’t know anyone personally who has tried his triggers. https://johnnyglocks.com

2 Likes

I’m not a gun expert, and maybe someone with more knowledge can correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t striker fired guns typically have a heavier trigger pull than hammer fired guns? I think it would be unfair to expect 1911/CZ 75 type trigger pulls from any striker fired pistol. I’m sure a quality aftermarket trigger will feel way better than a stock Glock trigger, but I think you’ll have to be a little more open minded that 4-5 pounds is probably as good as its going to get for a Glock

5 Likes

@Savage636 I second that. A good trigger on a striker pistol used for CC should be 4-5 lbs. In the hands of a skilled shooter. A larger competition pistol 3 lbs is not unheard of. But nobody shoots a small, concealable 9mm in competition.

3 Likes

Great article Nigel :+1:

FWIW… the internet experts could rate the 43X as a “10” and the 43 as a “1”. My 43 will always be my best friend. I have carried and shot it for almost three years now. The size, weight, and concealability with 6 + 1 (and a rocket fast mag change) keeps it as my number 1 choice to carry.
Just last week someone at an IDPA event told me they sold their 43X and went back to the 43 for the exact reasons I mentioned above.

4 Likes

Of all the handguns I own my favorite shooter is the 43X .
Trigger is 6.5 lbs.My lightest trigger is Evil Roy @ 2.5lbs which is borderline too low.

4 Likes

Hey guys, Glock actually has the stock trigger pull weight on the G43X page online: G43X as a 24N or 5.4lbf trigger pull weight. I’ve tested 4 G43 and G43X and they were right there. Pulling towards the bottom of the trigger seems to be the way to receive Glock’s numbers. Also a common mistake I’ve seen with trigger pull tests is that after the trigger break, the momentum of the pull causes the gauge to pick up numbers of the trigger after it hard stops on the frame. Slowly and carefully, also toward the bottom of the trigger shoe. I’ve never seen a Glock pull higher than 6lbs stock. As for the MCarbo kit, make sure that the 4lb firing pin spring is installed (as it is the lightest of the three provided). Also, MCarbo is releasing a Glock trigger soon and it definitely helps with pull weight compared to the stock trigger.

4 Likes

Thanks again for all the info you’ve provided. I’ve just been fooling around with the Glock again, dissassembled, and this time, hand polished everything I used the dremel on. Put it back together and checked trigger pull on the wheeler and this time, right off the bat, it was 5.1, continued and it went down to 4.9. I think you are right concerning the safety and light strike issues. I definitely do not want or need any of that stuff at any time, especially when the chips are down. I’m looking into the Apex trigger and maybe even a ghost connector. What do you think of this? Anyway, if I can get it down to 4.0 or 4.5 I’ll be happy.

3 Likes

Good info and I will definitely keep your suggestion in mind. I did notice that the higher up on the trigger I placed the gauge, the higher numbers were returned. I will also check out the Glock page you mentioned as well. Thanks guys for all the comments, suggestions and help you’ve provided.
Semper Fi ya’all

3 Likes

@Dung If I could give 1,000 likes you would have gotten them. The point you make can never be over quoted. :+1: I keep my EDC triggers completely stock.

6 Likes

In related news:

The early G43 models came with a heavy trigger pull, despite the 5.5 pound label on the box. The delivered trigger pulls could be up to ~7.5 pounds. These original G43 models came with a now discontinued, #33215 connector.

A 43X should not have had this issue. It was fixed long before the X came out.

5 Likes

I don’t have a freakin’ clue what my G43’s trigger pull is. Via practice the break and reset are muscle memory. Even if it’s 10 pounds… don’t care.

6 Likes

Back at ya Teximo.

I admit to changing springs and trigger shoes on some small 380’s. I put a Galloway trigger on a Bodyguard and the original LCP. Mainly to reduce the excess travel and improve the shape of the shoe.

To each his own. I usually accept a factory gun for what it is and train with it like it’s my job.

5 Likes

I have one of those in my G21SF. Works as advertised and it’s a cheap upgrade.

2 Likes

“Suggestions??” “I should consider giving the Glock up for adoption”
Seems like you took my suggestion. I know it is a striker fire world anymore, but I am a da/sa fan for the exact reason you mention. My issue could be resolved with training, but why? my m9 and 92fs are honed the way I like, and I am always on target with them. no adjustment training needed. just my .02 cent