M*CARBO Brotherhood

Glock 23 kaboom?

Just picked up a used Glock 23 gen 3.Was very happy and excited. Looking up more info on the gun and found out about this kaboom issue. The casings swelling and even failing in the chamber. Is this a prevalent issue? Should I be worried? Should I try to get my money back?

4 Likes

@Jhouse42 Welcome to the Brotherhood.

I’m not a Glock owner nor familiar with this particular issue, however, I would think from your description it sounds more like an ammo issue. Lots of Glock guys on the MCARBO boards and folks with lots of knowledge and experience, I’m sure someone here will be able to offer more insight if there is a problem.

5 Likes

The stock Glock barrel is “unsupported”…it’s normal for some case swelling.

What do you mean by “failing in the chamber” ? Lead buildup and not cleaning properly can cause the kaboom.

You may have heard that Glock does not recommend reloads or unplated bullets…some people do and some people don’t.

If your Glock is new, :eye: would follow the manual…be safe

Do you reload? If so just switch to a fully supported barrel from Lone Wolf…

https://www.lonewolfdist.com/4/barrels/8070/alphawolf-for-glock

Your Model:
https://www.lonewolfdist.com/8071/stock-length/aw-2340n

Barrel Features:

• PROUDLY MADE IN THE USA!
  • Fits all Glock generations
    Designed for lead, plated, or jacketed ammunition
  • Certified, stress relieved 416 stainless steel
  • Button rifled, three stage honed bore
  • Industry recognized SBN premium coating (SBN is Salt Bath Nitride, similar to Tennifer)
  • Heat treated to RC 40-42, then SBN coating increases surface hardness to RC 60
  • Exacting tolerances allow for drop in installation
  • Fluting creates path for heat and debris to escape

Due to SBN coating we are unable to custom chamber or custom crown Alpha Wolf barrels.

Welcome to the forum @Jhouse42

5 Likes

ive had a gen 3 G23 since 2000, bought brand new, and probably shot over 15000 rounds through the stock barrel before swapping over to a LoneWolf 9mm conversion barrel. Never had a kaboom, even though ive accidentally fired 9mm down the .40 barrel a few times … :scream: that creates a swollen case for sure!
For the record, to @MountainHunter 's point, ive only shot a few hundred reloads, aluminum, and steel casing ammo just to see how they function. Obviously not recommended, and 95% of the time, i only shoot FMJ.

5 Likes

Been shooting Glocks for years. I own models 17, 26, 22, and 27. I’ve probably run at least as many reloads through them as factory ammo, thousands of rounds. I do not nor will I use aluminum or steel case ammo. Also, I will only use jacketed ammo because of the type rifling used in factory barrels. I have known of people using wadcutters in glocks but they are prone to lead buildup because of the type rifling used which in turn can cause dangerous pressure build up. if you decide to use wadcutters, I’d recommend keeping your round count low between cleanings.

4 Likes

I have a friend with a Glock in .40 and he has mentioned the case swelling problem, don’t know how he handles it but I remember that he does reload.

1 Like

I’ve seen videos where some casings will blow out at the 6:00 position in the chamber where it is not supported. Even on factory brass ammo. I went shooting yesterday and inspected some of my casings and compared them to my son’s Springfield xd 40. Mu casings had ever so slight bulge to them. Almost non but barely noticable. Just to be safe and confident I’ll upgrade to a fully supported barrel. Thank you for your response!!

4 Likes

@Jhouse42 Wise move…If you can…
Snag a 9mm conversion barrel while you’re at it. Great option…:sunglasses::boom::boom::eye:

2 Likes

Definitely!! I have a S&W SD9VE and I love it. But that is just too cool to pass up the conversion barrel!!

3 Likes

Although I am not a .40 fan, They are commonly in use in many police departments throughout the U.S. I’m sure it is totally safe unless you are putting in some hot unsafe hand loads (the ones YOU know you should never put in any gun). Use it in good health.

4 Likes

I Don’t reload and I would never trust or use anyone elses. My concern was that I saw a video about 2 Glock 23’s that had the kaboom and one of them happened to a Police Officer on the range and he had only ever used good factory ammo.

5 Likes

BUT did he do all the proper cleaning of his barrel…or rely on the department gunsmith?

That’s just as RISKY as using someone else’s reloads! IMHO…:eyes::rofl::rofl::boom::boom::sunglasses:

Did he fire after a squib?:scream:

Even factory ammo can have a squib…that’s why listening and feeling each round counts a LOT!!!

5 Likes

:open_mouth: :open_mouth:
Squibs, Hangfires, slamfires, Kabooms !! The stuff of nightmares!!

4 Likes

That’s why, when I teach noobs about firearms I always include videos of what happens when there are hangfires and squibs. My hope is that they will see the end result of those situations, remember them and know what to do when it doesn’t go bang or it just goes “pfffft.”

5 Likes

My biggest fear is that I’ll be in a rapid fire sequence relying on muscle memory, fire into a squib, and blow my hands off!!

3 Likes

@Jhouse42 Wear shark protection gloves…:sunglasses::boom::boom::grin:

5 Likes

I have had my Glock 23 Gen3 for over 11 yrs. No issues or concerns. Sorry I sold it.

6 Likes

I like the Gen 24’s with the finger grooves. Fits me like a glove…:boom::sunglasses::grin:

3 Likes

IMO I would call Glock just
For grins.while I don’t have a 23 I can tell you I. Have ran over 2,500 rounds thru my GEN4 G19 and NEVER had any issue like that…CAST bullets are definite KB fodder.I shot plated bullets consintely with no problems(A:no way of knowing anyway B: I have a RIGOROUS barrel cleaning regime)but I have had unrelated issues so like mountain hunter I switched to the ALPHA WOLF best barrel you find for the money and way cheaper/probably better than an OEM.

2 Likes

I do know that most federal LEO organizations changed from .40 duty firearms to 9mm because they could load more rounds in the handgun and magazines and the effectiveness didn’t change appreciably.

2 Likes