M*CARBO Brotherhood

Getting me a new (to me) shotty next week

I’ve always wanted a Remington 870 Tactical shotgun…one popped up in one of the firearms forums I belong to with a price I couldn’t say no to.

The beauty of the 870 series is all the accessories that are available for it.

I have an old Marlin 12 Gauge O/U shotgun I use for bird hunting and small game but it’s not real inspiring for self defense.

I’m picking it up Tuesday…

13 Likes

@Timbo I thought the same thing a couple years ago. I was using an old 12ga side by side. The 870 was “THE” police shotgun for decades and we all had them in our squads. My 870 Tactical

came with ghost ring sights and a threaded breacher choke. I added a Magpul forearm and an ATI M4 style stock. The silver choke on it in the photo is an improved/modified for using buckshot loads. The pouch on the sling contains a rifled choke that I can switch to for sabot slugs.

10 Likes

870 fan here as well. This is my HD with M1907 sling and flashlight.

9 Likes

The flashlight is a good idea, I have a short section of “pic” rail on the left side of mine and use a quick detach flashlight. That way I can switch it between my shotgun, AR or AK

7 Likes

that why when i got the chance, I picked up the old beatup ITHICA Model 37. early model, No dis-connector… stock was shot, forearm was done, finish spotty. now the finish is wrinkleblack 60/40, and as soon as i get the cash for a choate side folder and poly forearm, it moves into the finished safe, out of the fix locker LOL

8 Likes

I’m looking at aftermarket barrels for this as well to use instead of my old Marlin. The Marlin can only handle 2 3/4" rounds and with it being so old, I don’t want to run magnum rounds through it. I’m even hesitant to run slugs through the old girl. It shoots great but it’s older’n me :man_white_haired:

$30 in 1939, about $575 in today’s dollars. I think mine was made in 1948-49.

8 Likes

I got my 870 with a rifled barrel. Great deer hunting gun. I live in a special regulations area where centerfire rifles are not allowed for hunting. Way too populated. That rifled 870 took many animals before I “retired” myself. Perfect deer gun for Suburban Philadelphia.

9 Likes

@Timbo Good choice, love my 870 Marine Magnum.

8 Likes

Beautiful… :heart_eyes:

7 Likes

I agree with @Timbo, that nickle plating is sweet. Come to think of it, I haven’t seen a marine version of any firearm I didn’t like…it’s just a classy look.

6 Likes

The is a local store selling a lot of used stuff and quite often having used police 870’s in stock. Your making me get an itch that can only be addressed one way!

8 Likes

@MarkS20 If you hang out here long enough, you’ll find this tends to be a regular occurrence. Bad influence, this lot… :grinning:

8 Likes

I’m really a sucker for two tone firearms…

5 Likes

Does anyone use something like this on their 870? If so, what is your experience with this picatinny style rail?

6 Likes

@Timbo I installed one from Remington on my 870 Marine Magnum and it gave it a very “tactical” look which I liked and allowed me to mount a red dot but I took it off because I feel I can get a much quicker sight picture just looking down the barrel and using front bead sight.

7 Likes