M*CARBO Brotherhood

German Military Plastic Rounds 🇩🇪

Just had the opportunity to shoot some of the German Military training rounds in .308 cal.
These are very interesting rounds, the projectile is only about 10 grains and travels in excess of 4400 FPS! Smoking!!!
They are very accurate at the 50 yards I shot them at using my FN-FAL. I did not adjust the gas pressure for these light rounds so they would not eject like a normal round but there was almost NO RECOIL!
I let several other club members shoot them and they all remarked about the absence of recoil and the accuracy.
These are only about $.19 per round for a .308 so I am not complaining, but find the single shot process a real pain!
The other gun I shot was my UMAREX GAUNTLET in .22 cal PCP that I put a barrel band on the reduce the barrel movement, this tightened the groups significantly at 50 yards to a max of about 1.5". Not bad on a windy day.
More fun at the range every Wednesday!

6 Likes

Do you have a link, or company brand?
Maybe even a Pic of the round?
Thank you

3 Likes

Tell us guys that wanna try’m the who, wjere and how of get’n some to try. I have a lever action .308 that says it can cycle’m plenty good. I wanna see if I can get out of range on my chrono.

Editing 'cause I think I found it.

These? https://vtammowarehouse.com/Store/308762x51-nato/154-dag-762mmx51308-german-training-ammo.html

3 Likes

I read somewhere ( still looking for it to share) that the US Military are trying some kind of plastic cartridge , conducts less heat and a much lighter weight. EDIT Just found some links.

3 Likes

Guys,
If you type in German Military .308 practice ammunition you will get several videos and articles about these rounds. It is how I found them to start with.

They are BLUE PLASTIC!

1 Like

Guys,
If you type in German Military .308 practice ammunition you will get several videos and articles about these rounds. It is how I found them to start with.

They are BLUE PLASTIC!

godallmighty

Regular

August 22

I read somewhere ( still looking for it to share) that the US Military are trying some kind of plastic cartridge , conducts less heat and a much lighter weight. EDIT Just found some links.

[Popular Mechanics – 20 Jul 17](https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/research/news/a27414/plastic-ammo-textron-cased-telescope/)

Is This the Future of Military Small Arms?

Textron’s LSAT system reduces ammunition weight, making the soldier’s load easier to carry.

[GunsAmerica Digest – 26 Apr 17](https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/u-s-military-branches-exploring-new-cartridge-options/)

U.S. Military Branches Exploring New Cartridge Options - GunsAmerica Digest

SOCOM is looking for a new mid-to-long-range round for snipers. At the same time the Army is looking at ways to improve the range of front-line troops.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

2 Likes

Single shot because you are not using a G3. When I stationed in US/ German Missile BN back in the 1980’s we shot the shit out of those plastic bullets. They worked in Full auto, and semi with out an issue. I am going to say the operating system doesn’t like the rounds.

1 Like

Not truly plastic, but we’re getting fond of the ARX copper/polymer ammo. Light, accurate, and really flies out of the barrel. It’s a bit expensive, but we’re really enjoying the reduced recoil. The only big issue is the fireball out of the muzzle seems to be more pronounced than other ammo. I’m guessing the bullet is moving so fast, there’s still burning powder as it clears the barrel.

We’ve used it in our 9’s, .45’s and .380’s so far. Shooting a .380 with the stuff is like shooting a .22! I want to try the .357 rounds in my wife’s carry to see how it shoots. Hopefully the the .357 ARX recoil is more like a .38.

1 Like

I can remember using plastic rounds out of a 1911 when i was in the service. We used them when training for shoot/don’t shoot situations. Didn’t have all the fancy shoot simulators used today. Then we played films of different situations on a paper screen and you fired at the screen if it was a shoot situation. That was about 40 years ago and i remember it like yesterday. A lady reaching into a baby carriage shot me when she came up with a machine gun.

4 Likes

I have about 850 rounds of the plastic .308 rounds remaining from my original order, they are fun to shoot as they have almost no recoil and are disposable. The only thing I have found is they do not eject well from an FN FAL as they are so lightweight.

1 Like

Recently bought the ARX in 9mm, 357mag, 40cal and 45acp. Haven’t had the chance to fire any of them yet, but really like the velocity these are supposed to reach. I plan on using the 40cal in both my Glock 27 and my Sub2K. Probably looking at close to 1500 fps in the Sub2k, should extend the range of the 40cal significantly.

2 Likes

It works amazingly well from my canik 9mm!

1 Like

Where can I buy these? And what calibers do they come in?

1 Like

I ordered some through Midway. I got them in 9mm, 40cal, 45cal and 357mag. They also make them in several rifle calibers

1 Like

Thank you. I’ll have to order some

1 Like

@andrew1 Welcome aboard. Let us know how these work for you.

1 Like

I have 1000 rds of these in .308 and have found them to often be out of spec for headspace and difficult to close the bolt and numerous failures to fire even after two or three strikes with the firing pin, not necesarily a reliable round.
For those that do fire there is very little recoil and are fun to shoot although not consistant in accuracy.
These will NOT EJECT from my FN FAL in normal firing mode, I have not yet tried them with the gas port closed.

2 Likes