M*CARBO Brotherhood

Gen1 - Gen2 Retro Fit

Have any members of the brotherhood sent their Gen1 into Kel Tec for the retro fit to Gen2. Is it even real? It seems to good to be true. I seen a YouTube video that stayed you can send a Gen1 into Kel Tec with $150.00 and you basically get a Gen2 with a new serial and everything and your Gen1 gets destroyed. Could it really be? If it is true wonder if they will offer the same for Gen2 to Gen3

1 Like

Just call them according to the guy in this video. This is pretty recent from May of this year.

2 Likes

@Wedge That’s the very video I watched, I was hoping someone here has done it and could tell me if it’s even true and what their turn around time was.

1 Like

I’d just call them on Monday. I’ve never had a problem getting through on the phone. Best to get the info straight from the horse’s mouth anyway. As for turnaround time, I’d expect no less than eight weeks because that seems to be the timeframe for the recall guns these days. Could be even longer if they’re putting the recall work first, which is exactly what they should be doing.

1 Like

after all the upgrades ive done, and all the parts ive got to finish the total upgrade, my gen 1 already has 1000 rounds thru it with no issues of note. besides the obvious rail addition, which i have offset by using the red lion unit, what would be any advantage to swaping it for a gen 2?
last time i did that upgrade thing was with a gen1 Ruger P85. got the offer to send it back for the Gen2 trigger upgrade, did it, and they ruined a perfectly good firearm.

pull and length was so bad, I sold the firearm. never made that mistake again.

2 Likes

Better finished and stronger polymer, adjustable butt stock, better all metal front sight with standard AR-15 sight post for tons of replacement options, threaded barrel, improved coating on internal parts, enlarged and lowered ejection port. And that’s just what I can remember right now. LOL

2 Likes

Plenty of reasons to do it the biggest being your getting a new firearm for $150.00 if it’s even true

2 Likes

@GOBLIN I also seen where people have put the gen2 hand gaurd on the gen 1 but they have to slip a piece of a credit card in there or there is play I may just go this route but not with a credit card the heat from being fired will eventually toast that. I’m weighing my options and looking for input. The main reason I want to do this is so the new Mcarbo optic mount will fit my sub I have the Kel Tec aluminum quad rail now and the qd mount is starting to get old

2 Likes

lil bit of brass shimstock would do the trick, I will figure out a way to adapt the Mcarbo mount, my objective is to mount one of my old TA01 ACOGs to it and get the objective correct. and still be able to fold… it is tempting to swap it out though…

2 Likes

So I just got off the phone with Sean at Kel Tec and to my surprise every word is true. $150.00 gets you a new gen2. If you own a gen1 I don’t know how you turn this down unless you have all the internals Mcarbo’d out. I’ll be sending mine in soon.

3 Likes

I’d just strip the parts out and send it in disassembled. No point in putting it back together if they’re just going to destroy it. I’ve read stories of Kel-Tec receiving basket case guns all torn apart and they still fix them for free.

3 Likes

Yes I already know that because I just talked to them exactly about sending my…uh… ‘gun in a baggie’ (all MCARBO parts of course) for reassembly. They said absolutely they would take care of me with such confidence endearing alacrity that it did not even arise in me the need to invoke my credentials as a Moderator of this fine Forum​:rofl::rofl: (That is a joke because I would never want Kel Tec to know MCARBO Forum has a mod who couldn’t pull off a simple trigger job​:roll_eyes:)

What’s really funny though is two months ago, the thought of sending my S2k…in the mail​:scream:…back to Kel Tec​:grimacing:…well in a pigs eye that was happening!! Now I’m all…puhleeeeeze put my gun back together…:weary:

To add insult to injury and mayhem, I found a PCC Club, out of the Carson City range and it’ll be winter (here) before I get out there :snowflake:

3 Likes

3 Likes

@Flogrown Sounds like a great deal Kenny. Glock or multi-mag? 9mm or.40 cal.?

3 Likes

My only question/ problem to be the devils advocate is the new serial number part. If that’s true technically it would have to go to an FFL for transfer to be legally done. Please correct me if I am wrong? Not that it a bad deal $150+ shipping + transfer fee.

2 Likes

@Don68 I know Don, it’s such a great deal I cannot believe it’s true. I have the Glock variant and I’m part of the .40 Cal crew. Anyone who owns a gen1 I don’t know how you pass this up. My Sub was manufactured in 2009 bought it second hand no telling how many round have been fed through it for $150.00 to get a brand new firearm with only test rounds fired through it is a no brainier. That is another testament no matter the reputation of Kel Tecs customer service. BTW Erika is awesome she helped me before with a feed ramp issue I have nothing but great things to say about them. The only downside is I’m looking at at least 2 months without my precious.

2 Likes

@Doitsouthstyle I was told the serial is transferred to the new firearm as the old one is decommissioned. That’s all I can tell you. Nothing was said about a transfer so I can only assume the new sub will have the same serial as I don’t see Kel Tec taking part in a weapons felony.

2 Likes

The cool thing is it will seem like Christmas when it’s delivered, that will be like getting your first new bike as a kid I bet…! Good for you!

3 Likes

@Papapaul right on man it will be around Christmas time when it gets back probably. After shooting @KM55 2nd gen I found myself wanting one which prompted my search for this info. After watching the video posted above my initial thoughts were too good to be true, so I was really shocked when I received that email from Kel Tec and everything he said was true. Can’t wait

2 Likes

It is a good deal and you won’t even pay return shipping. I’ve read that somehow it can be returned directly to the owner and not have to go through an FFL.

2 Likes