M*CARBO Brotherhood

GAME CHANGER - Underwood Extreme Defender 65 Grain 9mm Ammo

Out of a 4" 9mm barrel this ammo travels at 1700 fps – Out of a Sub-2000 we are seeing projectile speed around 2100 - 2200 fps. The penetration and wound channel is downright scary. The bullet does not break apart and does not contain lead. It will easily penetrate a car or truck windshield.

14 Likes

been shooting the defender round(copper projectile) out of my Makarov, and the penatrator round(brass projectile) bullet is CNC cut by Lehigh I have 500 45, and 9mm bullets to load up. Love the round. Its stout.

8 Likes

I haven’t tried the 9mm, but I’m only a few performance tests away from replacing my defensive expanding projectiles with the defenders across all of my pistol calibers.

Mine are from Underwood as well. Last I looked bullets are 'bout a buck a pop at LeHigh so I’m really hoping some photogenic youtube data geek gets after it on their own budget. Soon as I source the Hi Tek Fleece, I plan to make me some Paul Harrel meat targets so I can explore the variables but the bullet order will hurt my pockets and load development will deplete my savings if I’m sloppy.

I think this is the future of

10 Likes

Would love to see a video out of a sub of penetration

8 Likes

Thanks for the info. The Makarov round sounds interesting. I also am using the Extreme Defender 65gr .380 version (approx. 1400 fps) in my Browning and Sig P238 and the round totally changes the .380 from a mouse to a lion.

all the best, Rick

6 Likes

I’ll check and see if I can find one. I might eventually set up one myself if I get the time. I also have a Ruger American SS bolt action .357 mag rifle and I bought the extreme defender rounds for it. Rumor has it that a few deer have been brought down within 300 yards and that the round exceeds 2250 fps out of a rifle. Yes, they are around a buck a round so I don’t use many of them for target practice, but I have tried them out at the range on a few occasions. With more demand, prices should go down (the law of supply and demand).

All the best and thanks, Rick

3 Likes

Is that Lehigh Defense in Quakertown, PA?

3 Likes

I’ve heard that Lehigh Defense makes the Extreme ammo for Lehigh and that Lehigh itself makes them in a joint venture with the actual inventor, hence the high price per round. I’ve only purchased them through Underwood Ammo since I have had great service from them for the past 4 years and they have my cc on file. I’m sure there are other similar rounds out there from other companies and I am hoping that they become popular so that the price will radically drop.

thanks, Rick

3 Likes

Price drop is a good way off. Each round is CNC’d from a solid round. Time, tooling and material all contribute to the higher price.

4 Likes

Yes, I agree with your time and cost assessment. That is why I tested each round first with a box and then use the rest for self defense or perhaps hunting. I also do some long distance shooting and compare that to the cost of a .338 Lapua Magnum round ($4.50 - $6.50 per round) of good match 6.5 Creedmoor at $1.50 - $2.50 per round.

4 Likes

I buy the 45/70 bullets from midway, P/N 868531, Lehigh defense p/n 07458305SP at 51.99 for a box of 50, www.midwayusa.com the 9X18 loaded I buy from them as well, 29.99 a box of 20, Lehigh /underwood defender round, works out to$150 a round, just ordered a few days ago a box of 50 Lehigh defender 9X18 bullets, Midway P/N 904615
$35.99 of 50, worked out to .72 cents a bullet, the 9 X 19 defender round, Midway P/N 746845 at $32.99 for a 50 rnd box, /.66 cents a bullet, 45 ACP Penatrator bullet ( they sell the copper defender as well 120 grain at $39.99 for 50) Midway P/N 336987, 200 grain $50.99 , $1.02 a bullet. they also sell the 40S&W /10mm auto Xtreme defender bullet, Midway PN 572351 150 grain box of 50 $37.99 , .76 a bullet. the first ones i bought I bought Underwood /Lehigh loads, so i could crono my speeds, and adjust powder loads from there.
yep, Lehigh Defense LLC, Quakertown PA www.lehighdefense.com

7 Likes

Just curious because I delivered brass to them yesterday. I knew they made bullets, just not what kind. Well, actually, I delivered to Millennium Manufacturing. But it’s the same building, same guys. Small world. I drive a metal truck for a living, they get tons of brass. So when you shoot that stuff, just know that I’m in that supply chain. Lol.

9 Likes

@Jperr keep that truck rolling! Haven’t shot or seen them in person yet, just on YouTube. Next payday I’ll search some out in 9mm. Got to recover from freedom week and get parts for the runner.

6 Likes

One thing to consider is that bullet weight is not as important as the speed. My preference is the 65 grain which travels 1700 fps (up to 2200 fps out of a 16-18" barrel.

6 Likes

Great info… I will definitely check those out especially the 45/70.

4 Likes

Thanks Joe, glad you are on our team.

5 Likes

@CatFood Midway Mike Underwood/Lehigh 9MM +p,+p+ and standard Loads, 90 gr and 65 gr, $28.99 for the 90 gr offerings, $29.99 for the 65 gr offering, all Xtreme Defender rounds…
PN::
938344 standard load 1400 FPS 90 gr
186100 +P+ load 1550 FPS 90gr
578658 +P Load 1475 FPS 90gr
922114 std Load 1700 FPS 65 gr.

best prices ive found is at midway on 20 rounds of loaded Underwood ammo…

5 Likes

I can see where these rounds could have a place for me as a “carry” round given certain conditions. It’s ability to penetrate certain mediums can be a plus in some situations, but be a drawback in others, such as over penetration through walls or people. I don’t think the “magic” bullet that works perfectly in all situations or conditions exists. After my career as an LE, I now work as a PI and do armed security and close protection work. I often carry several types of ammo at the same time and may switch out mags depending on the given, or often changing environments I am called upon to work in. Even the guns I carry can change based on the scenario. I can be carrying my Glock 27 in 40 cal or one of my Sig 1911 45’s. I typically have with/on me mags loaded with Win SXT (talons), Glaser Silver and Interceptor ARX. The ARX has similar speed and bullet weight to the Underwood, but not the penetration through those barriers. I am definitely going to pick up some of these. No bullet does it all just as one style hammer does not work for every job. I like the ability to tailor my equipment, not just my tactics to every situation.

7 Likes

@Dane The Xtreme Defender CNC copper round shown, in this video, will punch thru a Level IIIA vest, without blowing thru the body/target Have saw it done in video, and with my own eyes.

the brass penetrator round, will blow thru the doors on a junk car, (80s) and the roadkill deer carcass I piled in on what was left of the seat. 100yds, 45/70 , 305 gr,traveling at 2350FPS punched thru the drivers door, fist sized hole thru the exit wound in the chest area, and out the passenger side door.
dont use the penatrator if your concerned about over penetration.

I didnt waste the deer, mama gator ate good that day. I drug it in there, I wasnt draggin it all the way out. cars been settin where it landed, just shy of the blackwater, since around the early 90s.Have no idea how a ford fairmont made it back that way…

I loved the Talons, when they went off public sale, I found some barnes I liked, till that model was discontinued, went with the CD Hornady for a while, till I stumbled across the Lehigh’s.
the 9mm variant, the 65 gr is hell on wheels.
so far Ive stocked up on the 45/70 bullets, .45,9mm(65gr) 9mm (90 gr) 9X18 MAK, my next is loading up the loading capability for 40SW.
you know how it goes, soon as you find a round you like, it gets pulled off the market.
figure these will be next. Least i will have a supply of em to load. I just wish they made a round for the 5.7 X 28

they supporters and detractors for the Lehigh defender round, Im a supporter, as it works well for what i need it for…:+1::+1::+1:

5 Likes

Being a retired LEO with credentials, I can still buy Winchester Ranger SXT (talons) from suppliers and distributers. For other civilians, they are not illegal to purchase and you can get them through the secondary market such as gunbroker.com. They will be pricier, but then these are not a round for fun day at the range. I have them in 9mm for my wife’s Glock 43, 40 cal for my Glock 27 and 45acp for my Sig 1911’s (full size & compact)

5 Likes