Front Sight Post Upgrade

@500c If the photos in that Post did not convince them they have their head up their a$$ and nothing you do or say will change their mind.
We should start a separate Post Your Sight Pic thread where Members can post close up photos of their rear sights. Maybe a couple of hundred photos of different rear sights would get KTs attention.
I do find it more than a little worrisome that the manufacturer of my firearm doesn’t have a better knowledge of the parts it is using.

2 Likes

@JoeFridaySays

I have a working WAG theory about the confusion at KT. Having watched many hours of Nutnfancy waxing on about the Sub 2000, I know the party line at KT was “get lower 'cause the sights will work fine when you do.” This was absolutely true and many shooters were plenty uncomfortable getting low enough on the sight tube to use the sights.

I have noted that folks at KT tend to answer the phone. I expect the folks on their end of the line deal with overdose levels of whining, b!tching, crying and complaining. My bet is that the spec on at least one order was adjusted by an employee that was not authorized to make the adjustment. I further suspect said customer focused employee hesitates to own up to their initiative.

Alternatively, someone at the polymer co bought themselves a Sub2k, made a fix for their personal Sub and accidentally leaked some of the improved parts back to KT.

In any regard, it is disconcerting that KT seems to have passed on parts so obviously outside their spec without noticing. Many companies would have complained to their supplier for delivering out of spec parts. I doubt KT’s design tolerances can pass both of the parts given the magnitude of the correction.

Finally, given the fact that the correction has been noted at KTOG, it is disconcerting that they aren’t monitoring public comments at an Owner’s Group dedicated to their offerings as closely as a geek’d fanboy of one of their products. Suggests KT is definitely engineering/design driven rather than market driven which explains why calls for 10 & 45 go unanswered. Good thing their designs are so innovative.

4 Likes

@Dred I can definitely visualize the rogue employee scenario. :grinning:

But these are injection molded parts and making a new one requires a new mold. Only a very few large companies still retain that capability in-house. That means KT or its supplier would have had to issue a fairly substantial purchase order to the mold supplier (probably German or Japanese) and supply CAD drawings, a 3D model, approve a prototype, etc. It is very unlikely someone in supply or even engineering could have pulled that off unnoticed by management.

“In any regard, it is disconcerting that KT seems to have passed on parts so obviously outside their spec without noticing.”

As I noted in my previous post, I like you find the absence of KT concern or possibly even knowledge about the matter extremely disconcerting. They are not making inconsequential widgets - they are making firearms! I can tell you that this lack of attention or concern is exactly the type of thing that results in Company destroying punitive damage awards; not over the sights but about what they demonstrate about the Company with respect to whatever other item failed and is the subject of the lawsuit.

We really should start a specific thread asking Members to post pics of their rear sights if only to get a census of how many of the “new” sights are out there. If there are a lot (and from the posts I think there are), it will rule out any claim of some minor glitch or accident in the supply chain.

3 Likes

@JoeFridaySays Went over to KTOG site and looked at pictures of the long discontinued Sub9. The sights look somewhat similar. Is it possible they found a crate of old sights and substituted them during assembly? That might explain their denial of different types being produced. Need someone who has a Sub9 to check it out.

1 Like

@Don68 Interesting thought but these are the best photos I could find of a Sub 9 and the sight looks different to me from either of the S2K sights - note the ledge and thicker profile especially. Still, I agree it would be nice to hear from the owner of one to check out the possibility.

Sub%209c

3 Likes

i created a thread over at KTOG; we’ll see the response.

2 Likes

Thanks this is just what I was looking for

3 Likes

This just made my day.

2 Likes

Ahem, barrel recall because steel was out of spec?

5 Likes

@Johnksg
I am more apt to believe KT poorly ‘trains’ their customer service staff. When phone volume is up (popularity being the case,) they cannot afford to take time out of their day to lose the help… That was a ‘big’ problem when I work for GM Claim Center! We almost had to demand special training just to meet the demands of the customer!

3 Likes

@lonewolf I really don’t know. My feeling is they are much better than they were before 2011. But I have longed learned with the KSG(s) some of the things they say are simply aren’t!

Like having them tell me that my serial# has a 6 slot barrel nut when I am staring at a 4-slot.

Part of it is their modular method. Part of it is the culture created by George. (He is a gifted designer…just a bit different.). A lot of it has to do with how parts work their way through the system.

I have only owned their KSGs and S2K and have no desire for any of their other products. I do believe they have greatly improved and hope that someday they win back the customers they lost from poor customer service from the bad old days.

4 Likes

@Johnksg Besides my S2K, I have a PMR30 & CMR30. Outside of being picky on which ammo they eat, after I went to CCI #0023 there has never been a failure on either. I broke the firing pin on the PMR30 once and KT answered the phone right away. Sent me a firing pin (2 actually) and spring received a few days later. No issues. I couldn’t be happier. I am going to get the KS7 as soon as the market sell prices come down to MSRP or less. I will also be getting the CP33 for my lovely wife as soon as they are available. I couldn’t be happier with their products for “Fun on the range”. So that will be 5 KT products total when I’m done and invoke a no new guns rule for myself. With that being said, my EDC is a SIG P365.

3 Likes

@Gatekeeper you know I have looked at those PMR30’s gotta admit they have a sweet, crisp trigger. (Always a big selling point for me). Just can’t bring myself to buy one as its kind of an answer to a question I don’t have.

Let me know how that KS7 works for you when you get yours? Besides giving @Kona a hard time I have to admit I am interested…just dont like that stupid carry handle! :grin:

5 Likes

Absolute agreement. Cool that it looks like the Aliens Pulse Rifle. But I don’t want the Aliens Pulse rifle. Take off that odd looking handle and put the classic KSG top rail on and ooooooooooooh I’m ready.

3 Likes

Keep the handle!!!

3 Likes

You boys are looking at this all wrong. I want ugly and different and unique and not what everybody else has!

6 Likes

@Kona sorry Logan, handle looks dorky! You are gonna have to find something else to nerd out on when you do cosplay. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

@Johnksg the PMR30 & CMR30 are for Coyotes that regularly are in my yard. Put a Burris RMR on the PMR30 and I can drop it at 25yards when out in the yard. The CMR30 works from (shhh) my 2nd story window when they are about 100 yards out in the forest preserve behind my house. Of course when my son and wife aren’t home. :+1: Kaw Valley Precision XL linear compensator help keep the noise down as supressors are Illegal in Illinois.

6 Likes

I like the WMR…just like it better in a 16 rifle barrel. :+1:

Now the CMR30 tempts me a bit more. Just have not held one yet. :smirk:

6 Likes

I also want to be clear the Coyotes around me are diseased mangy dogs that losing hair and teeth frequently attack pets and boldly threaten people and rummage garbage because they have difficulty hunting. If it is a healthy coat, minding it’s own business. Live and let live. Keeping the mangy dog from having a slow death by starvation.

4 Likes