M*CARBO Brotherhood

FoxTrot Mike FM-9 PCC

Foxtrot Mike: FM-9 8.5” side charging upper
Firefield: red dot it’s totally crap but saving for.
Better optics

Lower:
James Madison Tactical: AR15 Carbon Fiber
Reinforced Polymer
80% lower
Kaw Valley Precision: PCC 6 Position Buffer Tube
Buffer Spring
7.5oz Buffer
Spikes Tactical: Buffer Spring Spacer
BCM Gunfighter: Grip MOD 3
BCM Gunfighter: Kinesthethic Angle Grip
Trigger and hardware: MIL-SPEC
SB Tactical: SBA-3 pistol Brace
Amazon: Cheap flashlight w/M-LOK mount
Mean Arms: Endomag P-Mag 9mm conversion

The upper receiver along with the grips was provided by my friend Mike who had owed me some money the lower receiver and all the parts except the EndoMag 9mm conversion and the flashlight were all out of the pile of parts and cheap optics I have laying about. Total cost into it was approximately $105.00 out of pocket. However I didnt mi d cause for $105 I made my wife to be squeal then cry in joy cause as you all know life has been unkind to us. Firearms tend to make people feel like they have power and control sometimes that doesn’t work out because those people take that and go and shoot places up, how ever my GF and I went to the range and tore up some paper and got some range therapy in which helped her focus on the next bit of news I thought I’d share which is.

We were going to move to Vermont about 35 km south of the Canadian border to weather out the winner on our friends dairy farm while we plan for our future however my fiancé put in some job applications and got herself hired by another company. We will be making a lateral if not vertical move going to the new company she will be the same hourly rate except She will make a percentage of the profits as a profit margin grows so does how much she makes she also gets paid an additional amount per rental and she also makes money on any products sold such as locks packing materials insurance etc. And you get rid of all the shenanigans that have been going on at this new property she has been given more rope than she has ever had before in order to have the tools and the authority to clean up the disaster created by poor management.

And now for the part that makes me smile and giggle maniacally. The regional vice president found herself getting demoted to a territory where upper management go to get fired. Basically she got sent to a territory where nobody has ever turned it around because it is so remote that the ability to improve upon it is relatively impossible. She’s been sent on a fools errand and show either have to quit or eventually be fired. Instead of quitting and admitting defeat she’s going to move there she takes her kids out of school and upwards her entire family and has her house up for sale. I personally think this is hilarious because she’s already moved in we’re still here and our old apartment packing getting ready to move she’s taking a demotion and basically my girlfriend got a promotion by finding the same job with better benefits. Moral of the story if you’re going to fire an employee fire the one that nobody likes find the one that doesn’t continuously beat her previous year to date numbers and seriously my fiancé had for 4 months beat her YTD numbers winning best property in the district.

Anyways I thought I would share this new build I wanted to personally thank all of you guys for everything you do including posting all of the results from your PCC AR9 builds. Because we tend to keep things to the facts and only the facts and there’s more sharing then there is belittling. I was able to quickly research everything I needed in order to get this thing up and running. The only issues I had was I needed to make a couple modifications to that mill spec trigger and of course there’s the matter of dealing with the weight of the bolt in the amount of material I cut off and adding that back into the BCC extension. I have included a list below of what went into this building and I can verify that everything works and shoots just like it supposed to I will add a caveat to that you could possibly add the law tactical bolt carrier extension and not have to add back in the weight difference between the amount of material you cut off from the tungsten weight and the bolt carrier extension. I don’t believe that would be a problem however I prefer a slightly slower bolt speed with the EndoMag conversion. One day we will get rid of these Endo mags and JMT lower and replace them with the New Frontier C5 folding lower receiver that takes MP5 mags but till then my fiancé is deputed with her budget build. If any of you guys are looking at building an AR9 I highly recommend checking out Foxtrot Mikes products, Everything they make seems to be tiptop the only caveat to that is you want to get the metal paratrooper folding charging handle.
We have small fingers so the existing handle is easy for us to manipulate; although it feels a bit flimsy, but my friend who gave me the upper complained about finger clearance.

Feel free to share some photographs of your PCC AR conversions and any tips or recommendations you all might have for optic upgrades in the future. If anybody has any optics they’re looking to sell let me know it might be a few months until I have some money set aside for that but it will be money set aside for an upgrade.

Foxtrot Mike: FM-9 8.5” side charging upper
Firefield: red dot it’s totally crap but saving for.
Better optics

Lower:
James Madison Tactical: AR15 Carbon Fiber
Reinforced Polymer
80% lower
Kaw Valley Precision: PCC 6 Position Buffer Tube
Buffer Spring
7.5oz Buffer
Spikes Tactical: Buffer Spring Spacer
BCM Gunfighter: Grip MOD 3
BCM Gunfighter: Kinesthethic Angle Grip
Trigger and hardware: MIL-SPEC
SB Tactical: SBA-3 pistol Brace
Amazon: Cheap flashlight w/M-LOK mount
Mean Arms: Endomag P-Mag 9mm conversion

2 Likes

Sidenote about the ability for this thing to eat ammo I have thrown everything at it from heavyweight subsonics, P plus handloads, Speer gold dot, standard ball, The only thing I will not put in here is anything it’s aluminum case because aluminum case in a blowback action is asking for trouble. I have not had a chance to run this thing suppressed as of yet but one of my friends should be getting her suppressor; Rugged Obsidian 9, out of NFA jail any day now so there will be video near future.

3 Likes

I’ve been looking at polymer lowers for an ar-15 build. Any drawbacks to them?

Polymer and carbon fiber works in F1 cars cause they have metal reinforcement in high stress areas, they also cost millions of dollars. These aren’t millions of dollars and both cracked in the same place when my GF slipped on the ice and landed on the bag out in the parking lot at the range. So if you plan on using white cotton gloves and handling it like it’s a priceless Ming Vase than yeah go for it how ever if you live in bear country like we do go to your local shoppe and buy a proper factory milled lower from your local FFL. Also with all that’s happening with the ATF you are better served ordering one and going through proper channels.

BTW I would give you my GF’s commentary but there’s rules on here about swearing. Seriously, when she got home there was a tyrant of four lettered words conjugated in ways that I’ve never even heard before.

Now commentary from my friend who bought a GWACS to use as a ranch rifle that he throws in the back of his UTV when checking fences and tending to his livestock, his words “… it’s as solid as a brick(fill in blank)house… “

2 Likes

Didn’t make sense to me either but I wanted opinions from the “pros”.

1 Like

So here’s the thing, what’s your use, if you wanted to Amy e put together a .22 is day yes perfect if you wanted something cheap go for it. If you wanted something to practice on before you were to mill an upper out of something more durable I’d say yes this is the ticket. How ever it’s just not solid when it comes to rotational loads. I’m sure it would last for tens of thousands of rounds assuming you weren’t over gassed but loads from the side can cause it to break the front ears right off and the rear bufffer area cracks at the rear team down pin.

Now let me add a caveat. If you wanted to build a ultralight weight bolt action rifle or pistol like the Solo300 I think this would be the bees knees. Make it ultra light with a pencil thin or carbon tension barrel, and throw that all on an ATI Polymer Hybrid upper and you’d have something you could carry into the backcountry with ease. No buffer tube, spring or weight and half the only is gone too. It would be great for something g that’s no I tended used is to be light and since it’s stripped of most weight and is manually cycled. Palmer is great for something that’s purpose built for a limited function but not in this case because the way it cracked the buffer tube renders the thing completely useless if it breaks there, a bolt gun would be relatively unaffected.

So if your looking for a reason to build one first start with intent, what’s your desired result, a .22 plunked for the kids a pack pistol/rifle that your gonna carry for 28 days into the bush or is this to be your zombie apocalypse/SHTF rifle that has to work and not break or your dead. Not to get all NutnFancy like but you want to first determine use first.

Photos found on Google image when I searched for Solo 300.

image image

2 Likes

Lastly here is a creative idea on how to build a hybrid lower that looks like it was well thought out. How ever it hasn’t been approved for sale Ndni fear it will dye on the drawing board. Maybe if we’re lucky he will sell just the code so those who have the machinery and technical skills can see if this thing was as good as it looks.

2 Likes

That is exactly why I ordered a couple of cheapy polymers yesterday. I’ve heard practice makes perfect.

Just to let you know this is going to turn into an addiction, Ps I’m merely making a statement not to be interpreted as an intervention,
:sweat_smile::joy::rofl:

You can also get creative with this project and use the JMT or what ever polymer lower you use as starting point to build a bullpup. Get the BRN180 upper from Brownell’s and bobs your uncle you can eliminate that entire issue that plagues the polymer lowers ; ie the entire buffer tube/spring system.

See a polymer lower as a place to test ideas.

1 Like

3 Likes

I’ve seen polymer lowers for as low as $45. If you are using it for plinking and just an all around range gun for fun, go for it. If you are looking for a SHTF ar platform, you may want a billet or cast lower. Anderson makes a decent lower for around $79. I’ve got a few Daniel Defense lowers and Spike tactical and they both are higher end in my opinion compared to a polymer.

I watched a guy at the range shoot roughly 100+ rounds with his polymer. When he was getting ready to go and slung the at on his back with a sling, it bumped against the stall wall and cracked. When I looked at it the lower seemed warm like the heat from the barrel was radiating into the lower. I’ve heard guys say that the polymer doesn’t keep mil spec tolerances due to heat and cold changes.

2 Likes

My GF is waiting for the C5 to get back in stock. Think she put a deposit down on them. Took that plastic thing and sawed it in half and tossed it after stripping all the old parts off.
As ya stated it would make for a good host for a .22 for plinking and I still saying you want an ultralight pull bolt for backcountry hiking it would be perfect for those who are hiking 15 miles days through Colorado/Wyoming bear country and don’t want to try to lug a full rifle with them up and over 14k foot peaks. But for SHTF nope it doesn’t pass the mustard. How ever my GF is inspired and addicted to the idea of it now so it’s good for things like getting someone into the sport for cheap.

3 Likes